Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

re. Dapol Signals

Are they working OK? I'm tempted, but reviews on some other sites have not been as good as I would like. BB

I am not ignoring this BB, but I haven't unwrapped them yet. I'll post something as soon as I get a chance to test them.

Just had a mad moment and bout Gilwell Park, Serlby Hall, 52xx class and an N15 along with 2 tins matt black and a Dapol figures set with platform accessories. The locos are all super especially the N15 with its superb cab detail. If you are a southern fan don't miss out on this loco.

A western wanderer train set fronm the Blue Box team off ebay. Brand ew and at the same price as a a similar pannier, plus i got a Toad, a shunters truck, controller and circle of track trown in!

Not that the track and controller are much use to me and I've probably got ore shunters trucks than I will ever need!

Just had a mad moment and bout Gilwell Park, Serlby Hall, 52xx class and an N15 along with 2 tins matt black and a Dapol figures set with platform accessories. The locos are all super especially the N15 with its superb cab detail. If you are a southern fan don't miss out on this loco.

I made a mistake here and should have put S15. The cab detail is superb as I have said with gauges that have all markings and the reverser/cut off has graduations as well. 

re. Dapol Signals

Are they working OK? I'm tempted, but reviews on some other sites have not been as good as I would like. BB

I am not ignoring this BB, but I haven't unwrapped them yet. I'll post something as soon as I get a chance to test them.

They seem to work OK. Unusual method of wiring them up - you have to provide a constant feed of 16V AC to the signal, on one pair of wires (black & red), but you change them by a push to make switch (has to be intermittent) on a second pair of wires (yellow) after which a little motor inside the base raises or lowers the arm. The single push of the switch moves the arm up of it is down or down of it is up and you do not need to select the aspect yourself, you just change it. For test purposes I have just touched the ends of the switch wires together, but I may incorporate an electric pencil system when it is on the layout. They warn in the instructions not to use DC. There is a LED in the signal so the aspect is always illuminated and shines through the coloured spectacles.  The operation is a little noisy, a whirring sound is heard as the motor works, but the action is slow and deliberate. The arm does not 'bounce' when it returns to danger, but you cannot have everything I suppose!

You do need a lot of clearance under the baseboard to mount them, at least 60mm

/media/tinymce_upload/7fe473fcbc7ea5b75549304a315a508f.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f9f9fcb81f73ac183069883cb7139699.JPG

Now come on Hornby, how about some colour lights from YOU!

Fazy,

The problem with two and three doll signals would be how should they be configured. Should the left hand or right hand doll be taller, or should they be the same height?  Should they have stop and distant arms  on one or more dolls, and if so which ones?

Straight post signals are fairly simple but once you start to cater for junctions it starts to get complicated.

The rules for junction signals is that the main route arm should usually be higher than the arm for the divergence, and divergencies can be to the left or the right. In practice arms were rarely arranged at the same height because this would indicate two routes of equal status and speed, and are more likely at a terminal station.

Perhaps some sort of modular kit could be possible but if you require proper working scale models with all the features found in those signals I have it would be a horrendously complicated kit. They would also be very expensive. The Dapol working signals are NOT cheap, nearly four times the cost of Hornby standard item.

WTD you lucky chap !  I have had an eye on the Kestrel as I thought it would be a nice companion to my Lion, especially as I have just added a 4th radius track, with  long straights,  to our indoor layout. Unfortunately, I asked the Little Controller what he thought of it and he pulled a face and gave a "thumbs down" ! There's no accounting for tastes, is there ! ☹️  (but maybe someday  .......)

Haven't received it yet but looking forward to the D49/1 "Hunt" Class 4-4-0 DCC fitted, the "Burton". While researching the Class I came across this lovely picture taken in reference to the LNER Reid D3 "Superheated Scott". I assume the younger figures are the sons of the older men above, unless juniors were working for LNER. At any rate, most of them look happy but in need of a square meal. How times change./media/tinymce_upload/822a3cca85b4b78fb1bcdb17d7bfd58d.JPG

Hi,

My favourite engine has always been the Stirling single and, after unsatisfactory attempts at modifying the blue box Emily that has too many out of scale elements but can be turned into a good 'impression' of the real thing, for want of anything else, were it only because the drive train is really good mechanically though the driving and cab wheels are not to scale, I turned my attention to an old unbuilt Kitmaster kit. This is much closer to scale but the problem is motorizing it. There is very little room in the boiler and powering the driving wheels only would not be satisfactory. I was still tinkering with it when I came upon such an adaptation on fleabay. I purchased it on the spot because the ad had lots of photographs indicating it was an unbelievably professional build, highly detailed and extremely well painted and lined. If the unknown builder reads this, my congratulations. This model has a top grade power unit in the tender driving the the two end axles and it works beautifully, I must admit, though I generally don't like tender drive. If anyone out there can tell me how to post pictures on this forum, I'll glady do it. I am eager to see what will come out of the Shildon shop Thanks. 

Ray

re attaching picture of your Stirling single, "If anyone out there can tell me how to post pictures on this forum, I'll glady do it. I am eager to see what will come out of the Shildon shop Thanks". 

When you create the post, look at the line along the top of the bit where you type your message and click on the little black square with tiny mountain picture in it. (it is just next to the smiley face).

That should open a new little box which asks you to browse. and clicking on that should then take you to your file explorer, where you can select your picture. You have to have already taken a digital photo first of course and saved it there as a .jpg file.

You will have to wait it to be moderated which usually happens on a weekday, so it will be Monday morning at least before we all get to see it.

I have a couple of Kitmaster models of this loco, one made up, the other with parts missing, and I do think these are handsome locos. I have not motorised mine.