Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Prototypical equivalent then!!

Biggest load it pulled was 'only' just over 2000 tons - something a 66 with less power and weight does on a daily basis!

I don't think a Heljan would have too much of a problem with 20 bogie '100 tonne' (normally defined as metric) wagons!!

If they were ballasted up to 3x a normal carriage weight, it may be different ... but I suppose there are limits.

Al.

2018 purchasing over - just 'won' my final taking advantage of a 10% discount until midnight and some assistance from Nectar ... a Class 50 prototype, which mainly looks nothing like it ... DP2.

DP1 is out of my league / budget .... unless I can be 'good' for 6 months .... perhaps ....

That period of prototypes always fascinated me when I was a teenager, 40+ years ago, so nothing's changed other than actually owning their replicas now!!

Photos may follow - just before Christmas so not expecting a speedy delivery, so we'll see!!

Al.

Thanks Brian.

DP2 might arrive before I go on one week's leave, but maybe not.

DP1 has always been THE prototype, 'though Kestrel and Lion run it close for looks / livery I reckon!!

2018 was a little bit crazy on the stock-building, so 2019 will have to be a little more 'considerate to others' ... DP1 ... one day!!

Al.

I noticed there may be some 'history' with my Kestrel.

Everything looks 'as new, used' as described, and there are no knocks, and wheels as new ...

I did have to create a small handrail beneath one of the lamps, which went very successfully.

Only last night, I noticed I have / had '3 lefts and one right' of the bogie side mouldings. When looking on Howes' site, no complete sides are available directly - I'm sure with more hunting I'd find something. Heljan have replied directly in the past to me.

Problem was the positioning of the steps - 3 were correct, one the wrong end!!

You can remove the steps, and the sprues indicated on Howes have steps for both ends, so that's been ordered.

Not a 'major drama' and should soon be resolved.

Al.

This Class 20 arrived in good nick to join the two others I have. However, it ran horribly and I traced the problem to 2 missing traction tyres on the powered bogie. Refitted these (although from used stock, which will have to be rectified) and it ran much better. About 7/10 on my scale, compared with over 9 for its fellows. Hopefully, 4 new traction tyres will restore it to glory. If not, then a full service. will/media/tinymce_upload/f7e365216d262e1ed0298b1c93e34e88.jpg

Just won a Best Offer bid on ebay for the Amro ET-4 set, which is the Flying Scotsman "Built for the Executive Engineer" set, originally offered in the US when Flying Scotsman toured in 1970.

Set is in the original cardboard "woodgrain" box and looks almost complete:  Has loco and all Pullman cars, track, station, controller, catalogue and the print that came in the box!

So excited to have found this!

Wow, well done.

Thank you!  I saw one on ebay a couple years ago, not as complete, but didn't go ahead with the purchase.  This one I got for less than the other one sold for, and I wasn't going to let it pass!

I'll post pics when it arrives!

Never heard of this set before so have just googled and it does look like a nice set ,would have been a sought after set in its day I would suspect,,,one to keep in the cupboard and preserve,,,

Wow, well done.

Thank you!  I saw one on ebay a couple years ago, not as complete, but didn't go ahead with the purchase.  This one I got for less than the other one sold for, and I wasn't going to let it pass!

I'll post pics when it arrives!

Never heard of this set before so have just googled and it does look like a nice set ,would have been a sought after set in its day I would suspect,,,one to keep in the cupboard and preserve,,,

From all of what I read, it was offered during Flying Scotsman's US tour, but since it had a high price, it didn't sell well.  So the remaining stock was broken up and sold to distributors separately.  

I'm hoping it's all there, and from one extreme close up of the box contents, it looks like it still has the decal sheet for the station, which had destinations of US stops the train was to visit!

Once I get this set, I'll post some really nice pics on here.  As for keeping it put away, I know I'm at least going to service the loco, make sure she runs well.  But I may still bring it out and run it from time to time on my layout - that's what she was built for!

Heljan DP2 has arrived!!

Detailing is fantastic!! Photos don't do it justice - even the idea of curving the wiper arms!!

/media/tinymce_upload/732e2047890a8a2559bbe8affde4eb68.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/fae81569c6a9dc4765beddaf6376aee1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/4f207cfd7f80f294afca94cdc44af911.jpg

Al.

R425 Mk 3 Coach in Intercity Blue/Grey complete with peoples, to go in between my pair of Valenta engined HSTs and an LMS maroon Mk 1 coach to butcher into a diesel brake tender, but it looks too good to cut up.

Rob

There is a slight problem to the DP2 purchased - a minute handrail is 'missing' - nowhere to be found.

There is no damage to the body and it simply looks like a 'manufacturing oversight' - I had this with the Heljan Kestrel as well.

Fortunately I do have the technology, or wire of near identical thickness and will fabricate and glue one in - not difficult. That's the only thing I've noticed.

I've mentioned to the seller, and to be honest, don't expect anything, particularly as it's something I've said is easily corrected. A bit disappointing of Heljan, if it was their fault, considering the incredible detail of the rest, simply let down by 'QC'!!

Looking at the zoomed in photo, which exaggerates the 'situation', it almost appears as if the rail was there, and had been caught on something / prised out. This won't show in 'normal operation' once I've replaced it.

/media/tinymce_upload/311cb433d78b1ea8a54238947197aff4.jpg

Al.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that I had purchased a DP2 - photos are awaiting authorisation.

I also received an old Ian Allan 4mm scale drawings book 'Historic Locomotive Drawings in 4mm scale' by F.J. Roche in very acceptable condition.

This will join the one I received last week of diesels.

Al.

Seller replied - HE'S FOUND IT!!

He sent a photo alongside a ruler. I measured my handrails - and the gap between the holes - and it's ~5 mm. What he had in the photo was precisely 5 mm long!!

If that's the only 'problem', this one's a gem!!

I don't like the Heljan recommendation of trimming the detail to make the coupling fit, so I'll have to work around that - my plan is remove odd ones and twist others slightly.

Al.