Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Sorry guys, I'd slept twice since I posted!!

Very nice locomotive - had a good run of it on 'the 4th radius circle' test track - both ways, both ways, if you get what I mean - that is after I had the 'lid' off, greased and oiled, removed the chip and blanked off - runs every bit as smoothly as my green Bachmann 08 - which is excellent.

i8 indeed sir - my 'car mouse' - petrolhead at heart - father was a mechanic, so was contaminated from birth, you could say!!

Pity the dust wasn't finer, I could leave it as 'basic fatigue'!

Nice locomotive it is, and welcome addition.

(Was running my Heljan Western this evening - another 'blue locomotive' I've renamed D1000 Western Enterprise courtesy of Fox ... very smooth, quiet and powerful!)

Al.

Very pleased with a loco I have wanted for a long time. I managed to get one in excellent condition at a reasonable price. Most of thes R54 "Hiawathas" seem to have a lot of damage or the asking prices are very high. Oscar Paisley's videos of this loco on YT further tempted me and I have just fixed on new nameplates to replace the faded originals. I had considered buying one from Canada but the freight and import duty killed that idea.

Nah...

The 0-6-0 Diesel shunters look best in unlined Black, with the early crest! 😉

Ok, my humble opinion!

They are almost an honorary steam loco, with those outside coupling rods...and smoke coming out of the top at the front.

When I was younger, so much younger than today, I mistook a dirty blue one for a black steam loco, and was a little exited, until my elder brother pointed out my error!

The R.54 locos have quite a few variations..

This is the R54 I mentioned earlier. As you say, Sarah, there are many variations. But I like this one the best. Original headlight works quite brightly, too. I am going to check if this one has smoke and magnadhesion. The Paisley video showed a couple of them in action with really impressive smoke effects.Worth seeing./media/tinymce_upload/2572b194ecf8bce6634a6a5283c6dbb3.jpg

Why have you changed the tender Barry?

Many pictures of 35001 in the early sixties showed it with the SWB tender. I also wanted a tender with easy conversion to Kadee couplers, which this new tender was - a direct replacement. 

There is a very good item/article in bloodandcustard.net which lists the various tenders that were attached to the loco's. Basically there were three types of tenders attached to M/N Class of which Hornby have produced two. The articles shows how they can be moved around to give, in some cases the correct tender attached to the loco at a certain time. The tenders were swapped around, usually when servicing.

Yes Jacob it is.

The Dapol Deltic is a simple static plastic kit, which when modified by cutting the side tanks off will accept a Hornby Class 55/Deltic Railroad chassis and running gear. I have already fitted lighting and the motor bogie was the only thing left to find. There are pictures on the Workbench thread somewhere.

@RAF96.     A great project, Rob, I remember seeing your other postings as the work has progressed and look forward to seeing your updated pictures of the completed loco.  You are a busy man, with a new home, new layout and projects such as this on the go.  Well done

Rod