Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Heljan Metropolitan BO-BO, ‘John Milton’.  This is a lovely model, and when the Met have the steam days (sadly, all to infrequently these days) they run the preserved sister loco ‘Sarah Siddons’, and I walk round the corner to watch it go over North Harrow bridge on it’s way to Rickmansworth or Amersham.  Now all I need to do is find some carriages to run behind it! 

Bought this black crane with additional items for £15.50. Missing chimny which I can make. I think it's from the Thomas and Friends range. Love it! Also a kit built wagon with sprung buffers!

/media/tinymce_upload/0991d7c6f34a64160a48dc0678355dbc.jpg

My 'latest' is an 'as new' Bachmann 32-225 Jinty - this is identical 'though not mine:

/media/tinymce_upload/4a14988013e7a00710cb155e7fec5868.jpg

Said to be near perfect - to look at it was ... but ... closer inspection revealed hardly any of the 6 pick-ups - one for each wheel - was actually touching!!

Possibly a real reason for the sale, but a quick dismantle and tinker later and all have been reshaped and are touch as they should - runs great and lovely little addition - just got another 'temporary track' out for the Bank Holiday Weekend.

My son gave me an Electrotren/Golden Valley "GWR" 0-6-0 tank engine.  I don't know how realistic it is but it is beautiful and runs very well.  If it is based on a true protoype then I guess it is probably 1:87 scale (HO) but that doesn't bother me - there are several 00 tank engines that look very small alongside 00 rolling stock (e.g. terrier, J72)./media/tinymce_upload/02ebf164eb816d4c1f47b38c227dd6f4.PNG

These are very nice locos (I have the Joeuf version) However, like the the Golden Valley saddle tank in GWR and TVR liveries they are not authentic being simply re-liveried Hornby International products.

Jeff, you are correct. The breakdown crane you have there, is from the Thomas range. It’s R9216 Large Breakdown Crane. I have one complete set of this, which I bought new in the box, back in 2011, when it became discontinued, before I wouldn’t be able to find it!

GNR-Gordon-4

A new Select, a couple of Hattons bargain price RLMs, some two colour signal lights, not sure if they are bulb or led lamps yet.

Many, many handy bits from the Maplins sale including pcb header pins and plugs, terminal tags, some spare soldering iron tips, etc.

Windows for my Dapol Deltic kit and a diesel loco numbers transfer sheet.

Some really tiny screws (I don’t think I have a small enough screwdriver for them - 1mm x 5mm screws), tiny nuts and bolts (1.5mm x 10mm), as well as a couple of packs of ESU wheel wiper contacts.

My good lady also couriered across from UK a couple of my new locos (Class 31 and 20) and my bag of old 21-pin ESU sound decoders to reblow with UK sounds.

Plenty to keep me busy for a week or three.

Rob

Latest purchases are ,,,,a bundle of 11 Oxford diecast assorted 1.76 scale cars ,new ,for £30 inc post ,also from the same seller a couple of weeks ago a bundle of 14 Oxford rail assorted wagons 1.76 scale ,also new ,for £95 inc post ,,,,mjb

OK, the acquisition's not the locomotive, but the draincocks!!

As Hornby don't make them, I found some lost wax brass Stanier draincocks at Norman Wisenden, by Alan Gibson - sorry, I bought the last 2 pairs ... hopefully there'll be a restock soon!!

I grooved then drilled each cylinder block in the 3 positions necessary, as there's a brass plate and the 3 'wires' run through effectively creating 3x mount pegs / dimples.

It was a little mess, but I'm well-pleased with the final outcome - loco looks great I think.

I've left them a little wide, until I can confirm I can close them in a little and still negotiate reasonable curves.

/media/tinymce_upload/75dbf56042870bf6bb89f6af3ef964a1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/633564b46022bf7fcad6a3d714db3aea.jpg

What do you think?

Coronation is next, hopefully tomorrow.

Al.

I just posted photos of my 6225 Duchess of Gloucester with lost wax brass draincocks - Stanier pattern.

Looking at archive photos, they may be the correct pattern, but they're way too obvious, substantial, and basically, LONG!

Don't like doing it too much, but I removed the body again this morning - better access and less risk of 'collateral damage' - and checking that they had set well - they had - I trimmed both sides down to what appears a more appropriate amount of 'discharge pipework'.

I think this is better. What do you think?

/media/tinymce_upload/622d3daa562daf3c52f5def57d057bac.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/db0a974cb82f1bcc5d7992248ff442ac.jpg

Al.

A little refinement, and matching draincocks for the 6220 Coronation.

I recognise that the pipes kink downwards slightly just at the end, so performed a slight twist in the pipes just at the ends - of both.

I think that's about all I can do - these should remain bright and a 'prime mover' like these 2!!

/media/tinymce_upload/d382bfa7c976d9298925aaedc64c7f57.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a33c9a22bb5d00ff09fe9774da6de056.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/38e3bc9aa9df36833d47c372a4cadec1.jpg

Compared to 'the real thing':

/media/tinymce_upload/b97eb0838600f2320b40afe764898cce.jpg

Al.

The only thing I really needed to make it a whole lot easier was a drill press!

Trying to avoid the drill bit slipping off the side too often, I 'cross cut' with the metal cutting disc of a Dremel.

Coronation cylinder blocks are round and narrow - didn't help. I'd expect the Bulleid to be a bit easier.

Another way of 'priming' a hole of course would be a reamer.

I've previously been 'pretty big into' R/Control cars and trucks - these are standard kit when painting new lexan bodies. I'd recommend measure, measure, place alongside, measure again, reamer, very small - pilot - drill, then open out to the size needed.

A little more time in preparation ... grannies and eggs I know!!

Al.

I've been concentrating too much on the streamliners, so just couldn't resist ... and I thought I had been cured of random purchases for a while!!

There is a 'fault', indicated with the pen. I reckon I can cut / shape a piece of 'soft drink can' or similar, then prime and paint, then glue into position - longer term.

/media/tinymce_upload/8d0fde0975d3b5b1a209867d8a1a943e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6b7d9c189f118a65c41942d080032d25.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/14212ff90bbdefdeed45aa50e28f96db.jpg

Looks fantastic nevertheless!!

(Yes, I also received the Silver Jubilee draincocks this morning as it didn't come with them - but it does have the brake rods installed.)

Al.

Just received the London Transport Museum/Bachmann 'S' stock set.  Good looking model, pretty basic instructions though. As there are 2 driving cars, both need a dcc chip.  I tested each motor car seperately, on DC, and ran perfectly, but I was a bit concerned as to how they would run at each end of the train.  placed the pair on the track, unconnected, and lo and behold, they ran perfectly as a paired unit, phew!

Solved the mystery of the Lt set running correctly when couples as a set, thanks to Caiptean  (Colin) and Eric, thank you very much, chaps.  I beg lack of knowledge down to not having a 2 car set previously.  As ever, this great forum has a great depth of knowledge from the members

Rod

2510 Quicksilver made it home, in it's Mallard box. A little modification was required to permit the tender to fit properly - the base area for the tender had to be trimmed to accommodate the brake rods, and just by the rear buffer beam a little more had to be trimmed from the polystyrene as the tender steps are slightly different!

Once home, I got to work on fitting the draincocks, gluing the front buffer beam, making a replacement cab hatch from a bit of brass plate, gluing it in then painting it, adding a little weight to the tender - not much, just a little, and finally fitting a vacuum pipe to the tender ... phew.

A couple of photos show it generally came off OK - cab hatch when zoomed in isn't perfect, but not a bad effort - remaining hatch alongside still slides OK as well.

/media/tinymce_upload/362967716b74c2a4c11e1cbefbcf8c20.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/c3c07f74e9d820e39350931948197608.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/76d33b0f9bba0bd722bb02d4bef80c5f.jpg

Al.

Just bought six wagons (a mixture of mainline, airfix GMR and Dapol from an antiques arcade in Hunbgerford for £6 each. All in very good condition (no sign of dirt on the wheels) with only some scuffs on the boxes. Compared to buy-it-nows onn eBay I think I got a good deal particularly as there was no postage.

2510 met a few more of its peers chez nous this evening - more me trying to see how it looks alongside them ...

/media/tinymce_upload/85efedf427d3a4207ba414b0c7beb805.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/8cf7e3a1d373bfc706ec48f0915341b9.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5d0e97c360cb2b649bd8059522745fca.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e178f95642f96cee230cefc5142276db.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/9b0b861d871fc352a5631d20b9974086.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e33fd451cd626be5ad13f9912bb14b69.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/47169d878da61cb52224ea7de11380ec.jpg

I recognised the slight 'mark' on the Coronation, near the nameplate - visible in these photos.

I managed to recover this, by cleaning, then lightly spraying with clear sating lacquer.

Al.

Replacement fine tips for my Antex soldering iron and the components for my bus snubbers turned up at last via our 3rd world mail system.

Also in the bag some pcb headers and matching plugs so I can make up a more professional patch cable for my ‘black-silver box’ firmware updates.

Rob

New purchase time!!

I seem to remember an 8-coupled tank engine on the Dart Valley Railway, but doesn't seem to be listed now.

I don't seem to be a great 'fan' of GWR, just appreciate the contribution it made to the ongoing developments of railway travel ...

Can't wait to start 'adding the bits' to this one!!

/media/tinymce_upload/99a7eb056d0bfe6942b2c6e2b2b3d4f8.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e0889f1bab4aba7c57fe0075ba4ead1f.jpg

This one is R3463. It still has the unsprung buffers, but does have a finer detail smokebox door 'dart'.

Al.

Fitting the brake rods was a bit of a pain!!

One of the 'eyelets' was broken off, just where it should be, so still permitted the rod to be glued into position - seems to be holding. I'll run it up and down a short test track this evening to see if it stays.

Fitted the front steps - still seems to (just) negotiate 2nd radius curves (can't remember if my test curve is 2nd or 3rd to be honest!!).

Al.