Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Arrived Monday from Hattons, the Maunsell d.2651 First/Kitchen car in BR (S) green. A very nice model, well up to the best of Hornby's Maunsell carriage standards. The curtains look a bit flat though, probably a bit too bright.

Boring component resupplies...next day delivery from RS Components arrived within 24 hours.

RJ12 crimp connectors to make up Walkabout cables.

PCB headers to make up custom patch cable for PIC programming.

Trip to Great Eastern Models planned for later in the week, may cost me a tad more.

Rob

The Hornby 2017 version, had a TT model back in the 60s . I had the choice of a green loco and coaches or a gold loco and coaches , chose the green Clan Line , been my favourite loco since then. Rebuilt version next probably 

derek 19b

I have both versions of Clan Line - original form and rebuilt. I actually prefer the rebuilt version. It was introduced by Hornby in 2000 - so it has been around for some time. They are superb loco's. BB

Hi, Did you manage to get the earlier versions of Clan Line, Canadian Pacific & Holland Africa, the ones with the flatter Firebox  Door and shorter front number plate? I managed  to get five different versions of the Hornby Rebuilt Clan Line in my collection.The early ones mentioned are a bit thin on the ground thougth.

Despite their reduced involvement on the Eastern Section I have six Merchant Navy models -

21C3 Royal Mail in original S.R. condition, a Hornby model,

35015 Rotterdam Lloyd, a renumbered and re-named 35012 by Hornby, as this was the only rebuilt MN to operate from Stewarts Lane on a regular basis,

35020 Bibby Line, a rebuild with the early emblem, another Hornby model

35028 Clan Line, a Stewarts Lane  engine up until it was rebuilt, a recent Hornby model, and jolly nice she is too.

35028 Clan Line, the Wrenn version as a rebuild. In truth a West Country (Hornby Dublo - Barnstaple) which Wrenn produced as a Merchant. A prodigious hauler which holds my haulage record and which I bought new over 30 years ago.

35030 Elder Demster Line in blue livery as an air smoothed loco, a Hornby rebuild MN chassis with Light Pacific connecting rods and pistons under a Golden Arrow Kits body. I do rather like the BR blue livery and can just remember seeing one crossing a bridge over Rye Lane as I was being taken out by my uncle in my push-chair when I was about 3 years old. I was severely scolded by him for jumping out of the chair to get a better look!

I have both versions of Clan Line - original form and rebuilt. I actually prefer the rebuilt version. It was introduced by Hornby in 2000 - so it has been around for some time. They are superb loco's. BB

Same here although the rebuilt version (like Port Line) has electrification flashes which I suspect weren't fitted to these two during steam days..........

So maybe a cull is needed!    😆

Clan Line has been available is various forms, analogue, DCC Ready and DCC Fitted over a number of years - I probably have all three (and more!) - did it have the electrification flashes on all versions?  I'll check my stock. BB

Hi, Did you manage to get the earlier versions of Clan Line, Canadian Pacific & Holland Africa, the ones with the flatter Firebox  Door and shorter front number plate? I managed  to get five different versions of the Hornby Rebuilt Clan Line in my collection.The early ones mentioned are a bit thin on the ground thougth.

Hi, I have the three loco's you mention, but would be interested in knowing the difference in the five Hornby Rebuilt Clan Lines. I know some Hornby M/N's had cab windows closed and some had one open. I have to say I've never looked that hard enough to see whether the Firebox Door was flatter than on other models. BB

All of my Clan Lines have the flashes.

Hi Bullied Boy ,,,,,,just to ask you about the clan line,,, I've got the 35028 ,,this is the second one I've had ,both are from the dcc fitted Orient Express premier red box sets ,the first one has been sold a few years ago ,last year I bought the second one ,beautiful condition etc but it has developed the 'front wobble ',just like the other ,,,so just asking you if any of yours have this ,I've heard it's a common problem with these ,,I was chatting to Raf96 at some point in the past and he was telling me that he had changed the wheel set because of it ,,I don't really fancy attempting that ,,,look forward to hearing from you ,,thanks in advance ,,,,mjb

Hi mjb - To be absolutely honest I was a collector before I built a layout, so at the moment all of my M/N's are still in their boxes - I have twenty four. However, one similar loco that I do run is the Hornby West Country Crewkerne, and the front bogie has started to derail when passing over points - it's on the layout all the time, but does not move to often. I use Code 75 track which may be the problem. The Hornby Bulleid Pacifics have been around since 2000 - they were described as "super detail" which they were at the time, but I'm not sure if the earlier ones had a deeper profile on the wheels which allows them to "ride-up" at the smallest iregularity in the track. Sorry not to be of much help. BB

@Bulleidboy

May I sugest you start by checking the back-to-back dimensions on the wheelsets?

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/wheel-rail-interface/

Thanks for that Caiptean. I run trains so rarely (I spend more time on scenery), the back-to-back dimensions are something I've never checked. I'll check them out and it will be an excuse to buy the appropriate gauge. Many thanks.

just got my model of Woodcock,very pleased after the disapointment of abergaveny castle,its a lovely model,runs well,looks great in the apple green livery,i have close coupled it and fitted tts,these are the only faults with the model,the coupling is useless for close coupling,its just the old pick up type without the contacts fitted,needs an upgrade along with the a3 which is the same,and to fit tts the speaker fitting needs to be cut and shortened in places to fit the tts,again same as a3 , most hornby models accept the tts without any mess,i am not a bad modeller and managed it okay,but for some it could be a problem fitting tts,come on hornby it would be easy for you to make things better and encourage more modellers to go tts,i have fitted over twenty locos its a smashing item,sound for about double the price of a standard decoder,its great, one of the best things hornby have ever introduced,anyway my faith has been restored,got to go woodcocks,due out on the queen of scots,apple green,cream and umber,brilliant

Just received the R4816 Southern and R4817 SR dining cars from a certain retailer in Sheffield. Excellent models, thank-you Hornby. For some reason I'd expected the table lamps to be illuminated, but it would not have been possible to capture their graceful shape if they were. The only minor irritant is the mis-spelling of 'dining' as 'dinning' on the box ends. Shoot the proof reader!

From one extreme to another ...

I mentioned my fun using the Class 110 DMU and great fun it was too - didn't need to be a 4,500 bhp superbeast ... but, OK, I've got just that arriving tomorrow - Virgin Class 43 8WD 'latest-type' model - can't wait!!

I'll post photos 'though it's nothing you've not seen before anyway!!

Al.

From one extreme to another ...

I mentioned my fun using the Class 110 DMU and great fun it was too - didn't need to be a 4,500 bhp superbeast ... but, OK, I've got just that arriving tomorrow - Virgin Class 43 8WD 'latest-type' model - can't wait!!

I'll post photos 'though it's nothing you've not seen before anyway!!

Al.

Photos as promised - nothing most of you have seen before.

I've been having fun with the Hornby school of logic relating to coach dimensions - now resolved!!

I've 'gone long' for all coaches.

/media/tinymce_upload/78fc45cf949203425569417d2045830d.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/742a5393f9b814f9b33442f598f1a87d.jpg

Al.