Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Just made a couple more sales of locos I probably had an 'excess of' over the weekend, and ordered a Dapol Class 68 - it's already arrived!!

Detail is absolutely stunning - it's a 'later' DRS model - 68 008 Avenger - earlier ones had the print a little out of alignment.

Handrails, pipes, speedo cables, fans .... no moving fans or opening doors 'though - Hornby win here!!

Photos are 'in the post' (they've been posted pending authorisation) but it's a REAL stunner - weight?

I'm guessing the same as the Class 60, or ~650 g - will confirm this evening.

Al.

Final addition, at least before 'Hamilton' arrives in a month ... or so's time ... possibly sooner???

Purchased used off a well-known hobby store in the Widnes area ... but said to have a few issues - lights don't work one way, and one bogie's 'a bit noisy ... I took the plunge, as there was nothing else at the time - there is nowm 'though one's definitely enough!!

It has a bit of 'used patina' particularly on the roof, which actually seems appropriate.

Reading previous posts within the worldwide web, there's a known issue with the body contacts and the chassis, so it may be a simple fix - I'll see.

Bogie? Possibly wear. Possibly lubrication.

/media/tinymce_upload/f9a86dd3a4d449fd8fd079f07aece437.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/31da73f9b727b40828745b0dcf775c51.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d401e6af31360e3021779f96e4085bba.jpg

Al.

Don't know what Hattons were running it on - it's nearly totally silent and a SUPERBLY smooth runner.

Fans work OK.

Curiously, one buffer each end is glued solid - no great loss, 'though I am a fan of sprung buffers!!

The lights? It's those 3 little contacts each end - all lights work perfectly - ALL SORTED.

One very nice locomotive, with just a tad of 'used patina' on the roof - storage and scraping against the polystyrene in all probability but actually makes it more realistic!!

I'm quite liking this locomotive ...

Al.

This week I have mostly been unpacking a Duchess of montrose super model! 

And picked up a nice Hornby Castle the Retooled version before the total retooling the following year. Very nice needs some lamp irons. And turning to BR from GW. Need to find out if it's just compony logo needs switching or was the lining different. Anybody know? 

I just got these. I suspect most people will be wondering so what! These are two Jouef coaches that were contained in a set with a clockwork D6100 diesel, a tierwag car carrier, large oval of track, fencing, level crossing etc. The set was a UK version of a French set, the only difference being the loco which in the French version was either a diesel or electric clockwork locomotive. 

I had one of the UK sets and it was one of my favourites when growing up. The loco worked much better than any of the Tri-ang/Hornby ones I had and seemed to go on forever. I now have a couple of the locos and one of the French electric ones as well. They don’t run as well as I remember but are very similar to the hornby ones I have. 

I swapped the set for some mainline wagons in my teens and have recently been after some of the coaches. Apart from some very overpriced full sets, these are the only ones I have seen that are all intact for years, most have had the bogies broken off and re-attached with bolts. They are cheap and nasty, in a non-prototypical colour and of a continental prototype. Add to that they are HO rather than OO. However, they run very well and they make me happy, need I say more?

/media/tinymce_upload/986d46fb2f76d3f5e1b91f3bf7ee1a9e.jpg

Good evening everyone,we went to our local toyfair yesterday and managed to get some bargains.

Boxed,with original instructions, "Battle space turbo car".

Boxed "Battle space POW wagon"

Unboxed battle space rocket launching wagon.

Minic motorways green double decker bus(bargain at £20),very good condition.

Big box of super 4 track with no signs of rust,including 12 points.

Eight X04 motors,minus brushes and brush springs.

Tri ang wheel cleaning brush.

And various other bits and bobs.

All in all,a good day.

I'd moved some more stock, so decided I'd add to the 'modern diesel' group with the most ugly one - and highest tractive effort, the Class 70.

I spent an hour looking for the 'best price' with my preferred sellers, and made the purchase ... then 'curiosity and cats' found the very next day, another 'favourite' had decided to drop the price further ... never mind.

One Bachmann Freightliner Class 70 should be arriving tomorrow - looking forwards to it - weird but somehow very interesting. I'm hoping for a decent weight in it, but one review stated only 440 g - 200g less than the big Hornby and Heljan diesels.

We'll see tomorrow.

Al.

IT'S ARRIVED!!!

Ugly as sin, but fantastic detailing and looks great!!

/media/tinymce_upload/ced7c8a2a431ea8a0b6e76b19b53d18b.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/8a6a6308a8af5b37f4237a9aa838ee5d.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2a066a35610fe5b3e1c9caafbd9f1bd0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/0c3dfaeb62bbcb82d03fb43de244e834.jpg

Al.