Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Turbo Car ...

Prop looks good, only missing the window stickers at the front.

I brother had one nearly 50 years ago - ridiculous speed!!

Great fun seeing how far it would end up beyond the curve .... !!!

That 70 is way too light and doesn't have the traction of the 56, 60 and 66 I have - something will have to be done I reckon!!

Al.

Darrenmb, that is the oddest locomotive I have ever seen, if you can call it a locomotive!  😆

I have neevr seen one those Tri-ang Hornby R.752 'SPACE BATTLE!' rocket locomotives before. It looks very toy-like. I don't want one, but the price also confuses me, a little. Is it really worth £80.00? How rare is it?

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Out of interest what would you expect it to pull?

A LOT!!

I have 17 Freightliner bogie hoppers which I would expect it to pull, once all is set up, or at least 15.

I've got the weight up to 490 g but it wasn't easy - SUPER smooth operating, and loving the lights, particularly the cab lights!!

Haven't played with the tiny dip switches yet but all fully operational.

2 screws are difficult to replace, 2 are even more difficult - had to wrap the screw / driver with a tiny piece of tape to insert, close lightly, remove that driver (with tape still on it, not screw) and continue with 'a proper one'.

If it couldn't haul perhaps 12, I would be a little disappointed, considering how good other Bachmann locos are, and what the 1:1 pulls ...

I cannot 'adjust' any more, so this will have to do.

Al.

Good evening everyone,I paid £90 for my "Battle space"turbo car,complete with original box and instructions,but I also managed to get a "Battle space" mail coach- unboxed,a "Battle space" rocket launching wagon-unboxed and a "Battle space" POW wagon -boxed,all for £90.

Wow!!!  And I thought I got a deal!!

I forgot to mention the "radar tracking vehicle" as well,unboxed.It's missing the elastic band which somehow goes around the two axles and around a plastic disc,which in turn makes the Radar revolve on the top of the wagon.

The flashing light unit looks complete also,but I've yet to try it out.

Impressive purchases.

Always wanted them 45 years ago!

WTD, I don't have any layout yet - all in the planning stage but I was asked what I WANTED the 70 to pull.

I lay temporary tracks from time to time and normally set trains of 7 to 10 carriages loco and layout depending.

Intention is to take over the loft. IF I could get 12-15 hoppers hitched routinely that would be the target. Probably end up closer to 10 but we'll see.

Next loco target is either Dapol 59 or Hattons 66 ... 

I've another sale in progress. If it goes thro' I'll make a decision.

Love to assist the smaller guys - Hattons - but theirs doesn't have opening doors, Dapol's does ...

Al.

Was that ever 'made', even if as a project - that would be fantastic.

Probably cost a small fortune and you'd never want to 'crank' it, unlike the Turbo car with its rubber nose!!

I remember my dad made a wire casing he mounted onto the body, which 'enclosed' the propellor, to limit small fingers getting sliced!!

Al.

Cheers WTD.

I quite like the Heljan idea maintaining 8WD, not 12WD, with the floating centre axles.

Never found one of their locos to be wanting (even if I did add a little to Kestrel, before you remind me!!).

The Hornby 50, 56, 60 and 67 are just monsters - don't anticipate problems with them!! (all >620 g).

The Dapol 68 could be interesting as well - ~675 g and seems well planted.

Al.

I agree there.

I was somewhat disappointed that Bachmann hadn't made a bigger effort to match the 70 to other locomotives in their fleet, by designing in thicker metal components to compensate for the slim-look bodywork between the cabs.

This was the issue I was having finding anywhere to add anything.

The Heljans are actually LIGHTER than the Hornby Class 50 and 60 - 'though not by much!

What was disappointing was the excellent B Class 25 is as heavy as the B Class 70.

This will explain much of the reason why the 25 performs so well, which is great, but ....

Al.

A pre-order of the following:

x1 Hornby Skaledale R9878 RAC Kiosk

I forgot that I pre-ordered Hornby Skaledale R9878 RAC Kiosk and it arrived this morning, from Hatton's Model Railways. It's very well made and painted, as you can see:

/media/tinymce_upload/55697811edc74b0f179e75490e6ac9d6.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/32b52fa476a8586569a8481afa731772.JPG

It accompanies Hornby Skaledale R9866 AA Kiosk very well, as shown below here:

/media/tinymce_upload/bcb2825fcfa313fac0d8632ecc59ce41.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/01a04424884e8ac031263c417d629fad.JPG

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I am no where near ordering landscape stuff like those kiosks, I'm still trying to figure out where to build my layout... but I am always on ebay and hattons, looking for deals. I now have tons of track, all sorts of trains, but nowhere to set it up...  even scored a 5x10 sheet of plywood from one of my subs at a jobsite..  so after all that rambling I guess a piece of wood is my latest acquisition..

Very good and funny, Rob! If one took the RAC logo's and number's off, I think it would look like a portaloo! 😆

I don't know why Hornby didn't use the same resin AA Kiosk for the RAC Kiosk. This wuld have beem cheaper and probably would have resulted in the RAC Kiosk being released so late and taking year after announcement to be released, which is riduclous for such tiny model.

The AA Kiosk was released on time, April last year. Funny that a similar item, RAC Kiosk took so much longer. Both were new tollings.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)