Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Hi Stu,

just opened the laptop, so sorry for not replying earlier.  The height from railhead to top of pantograph is 70mm  (as far as I can determine using a vernier gauge and 76 years of eyesight!)   it was most enjoyable watching the start-up sequence again, seeing the pantograph being raised.

hope this is of use to you

Rod

Rod! That is more than helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with that measurement. I have now come down my loft so tomorrow I will check my rail head to catenary height. I really hope that my catenary is suitable for this loco as they look absolutely awesome! Which very did you get?? Once again thanks.

3440 GWR City of Truro has arrived - really nice locomotive - crew already fitted, which I normally do anyway, so I'll accept that.

It's 'good used' - all details seem perfect, no spares, no paperwork. Lacquer might be original, not sure - nice locomotive. Strangely, this one doesn't have the spare bogie, and the front coupling attached is flush into the bogie, so easily removed - must have been several 'variants' over time perhaps.

/media/tinymce_upload/a427717d9ce0b632abc679fbc92d2405.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a7a8be79735a6004a0fa73e8d82abf27.jpg

Al.

Thanks JP.

Those 2 recent purchases were the 2 'Unicorns' I was after this last 15 months - Midland Compound and City of Truro.

Now to remember I have bills to pay and a family to feed!!

I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility - look at the ridiculous speeds (relatively) during the Great Races to the North, some 15-20 years earlier!!

Al.

Spot anything missing?

Apparently this is how 'my seller' received it, selling it on. The rest of the loco is superb, but ...

It appears that the 'option' bogie has been fitted, with no sign of the original, there's no hook / 3-link, and ... the buffer beam's been repainted!

The last bit unfortunately means there's no 'No.' on the LHS as you look at it, and no loco number (3440) on the RHS - all present on the original. I can replace the numerals, will have to eventually hunt down 'No.', but one unfortunate consequence of this repaint is the yellow edging has gone.

I'm still keeping it - I've done a 9V battery test at work and it runs OK, and it's 99% perfect - that's good enough. ...

Al.

Update on the City of Truro - it is a superb locomotive, perhaps not quite as anticipated, but excellent nevertheless, and good communication was maintained with the seller, with an 'understanding' agreed - I will be keeping the locomotive - no reason why not.

There were a few extra minor repairs and modifications required - a hook and 3-link are in place at the front.

Initially I removed the front hook, keeping the 'loop' of the tension lock, but it didn't work - it's bonded into the bogie frame, so had to be surgically removed!!

I'll see if I can place the 3440 from GWR bufferbeam transfers currently en route correctly - that'll add something.

I'd still like the fine yellow line - I'll work on that one. Mind boggles why it was repainted ... 

It's a 'Keeper' and looks great.

Al.

My latest aquisition was a Peckett , "Sherwood". I took it home, without testing it in the shop, and when placed on my test / program track  it did not move. As I was going to DCC fit the model, I removed the body and found that a pick-up wire had broken off the socket. So I hard wired the decoder in (Lokpilot 4 Micro) . Job done 

For StuBaggyBoy, a picture of the class 90.  Have to say, the Hornby version looks pretty good to me also/media/tinymce_upload/fd259fcb99a8714eaf36e9d2144d1e31.png

Thanks Rod. That looks beautiful! The Hornby version looks dated and toy like compared with this. I am a little disappointed that Bachmann have not fitted crew to the cab.

Thor....

The first Brush type 4 (class 47) to receive the name "Thor" was scrapped after sustaining damage in an accident that also wrote off a EE type 3 (class 37)....

Unfortunately, the crew of the Brush type 4 were killed.

The nose end design of the EE type 3 is thought to have contributed to the survival of the crew.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/22874-the-forgotton-37-and-47/&tab=comments#comment-229117

My "Thor" is also D1677, but with black painted stainless steel nameplates (the lettering is in the GWR typeface), and the smaller yellow panels.

Mine is a Hornby TTS chassis, with a modified LIMA body...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76497-sarahs-projects/&do=findComment&comment=3269406

A beautiful Bachmann electric blue class 85 with a proper panto from eBay and a Bachmann Virgin Voyager DMU 4 car unit second hand that apparently wouldn’t run!! We’ll obviously it wouldn’t run with one side of every cars wheels cacked with oily grime! No doubt been run on layout with other locos having traction tyres. 

Hi Paulali, Just looked in Ramsey guide and there are only four Hornby class 90s. In Virgin livery.

R2048,   90002, Mission Impossible.

R2067,   90012, British Transport Police.

R2109A, 90014, Unnamed.

R2109B, 90015, The International Brigade Spain 1936-1939.

Uploading 'R' numbers and names may help you in locating one.

All produced from 1997 to 2000, maybe why there are in short supply.