Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

R3119 LMS 6234 Duchess of Abercorn has arrived - looking superb.
She's a little dusty.
Won't remain 6234 for long - will renumber / rename 6233 Duchess of Sutherland.
Precisely as I remember her at Bressingham.
I just believe the Duchess / Coronations look bigger, more powerful without the blinkers.

forum_image_61262f8a3cabd.thumb.png.7581e73c657f9beb1c26adc3e7c685b3.png

Al.

Lovely model can’t beat a Princess Coronation…. Well maybe a Princess Royal can never fully make my mind up.

The loco by itself is 1lb 5oz or 666 grams. I didn’t weigh the tender but it’s the normal plastic one so it’s not going to add much. According to my scales. I’ve packed it away at the moment but can weigh the tender tomorrow if you want.

What I can tell from just looking from the outside I would guess it’s just the new standard Princess Coronations with the plastic body replaced with a metal one. There might be some modifications to it but I don’t think so and I don’t want to open it up. The packaging is lovely, well keeping the price down. The loco comes in the standard plastic sleeve which sits inside a rubbery type of foam in a hard cardboard left of box lid and the old style Hornby design is just a sleeve

Thanks anyway.

There's a peripheral conversation 'on that other forum' (RMWeb) where somebody had a go at my mentioning to increase locomotive weight, suggesting increased wear, etc.

This is possible.

I will try and get '8P' locomotive + tender weights up to ~580-600g, but included is the increased tender weight, being ~40% of the locomotive.

You stating that Hornby effectively are quite happy increasing the locomotive weights from ~350g to 666g shows they're happy themselves to do so, and this certainly exceeds my typical 450g locomotive weight - where able.

If you do start running a lot, and end up with a worn final drive gear - on the driver axle - then here's a helpful link for you: https://www.ultrascale.uk/eshop/products/CAT015#RTRRG

Gears are a 'nicely very tight' push fit - need careful persuasion and won't move - threadlock not required either.

Al.

My latest (and first) acquisitions! A box of extension packs (A-F), 7 points and 2 decoders and the 'Aberdonian' train pack (R60163), all from Amazon. I also have orders placed with Hattons (a Rushton Diesel and some wagons) and with Hornby (mostly track and the Select DCC decoder.

When they all arrive, I'll take stock (including rolling stock - pun intended) and then see what else I need, or forgot to order.

I have already ordered track clips for the points and a 14 amp transformer for the Select controller.

I realised, too late, that I'd got the wrong power track (no mention of a DCC one in the track plans book).

The Hornby order is puzzling. it's saying 'part dispatched' on my dashboard, but when I called to ask which items were not dispatched, a very nice person told me that all items were showing as sent.

forum_image_6127ddbf1cb0f.thumb.png.4fd0522fd8923699668f7dbbd442d657.png

forum_image_6127ddc14d001.thumb.png.104aa24ec0e96041a002fda314ca3c8d.png

No problem with the power track, just convert it to DCC by snipping out the capacitor. Oddly the one with more parts is cheaper.

forum_image_6127eaebee85e.thumb.png.e1292aa236925fa51a6f02e8b7f64c71.png

Check the points as there was a bad batch that were shorting internally.

Latest ‘find’ is this clockwork pre-Tri-ang Trackmaster N2 with original key and brake lever, shame the ‘coal’ is missing. These always seem to have survived in better condition than the later version. The mechanism works perfectly and the missing wheel isn’t a problem as I have spares.

forum_image_6128f6d10ee71.thumb.png.91a037199c1ed7151209158dba128a7e.png

In addition to the clockwork N2 I also recently go this old Jouef BB16000 loco. A bit of an odd one, the short grille suggests they re-used the BB9200 body with an amended mold for the number and different pantographs but the roof is quite different from the old BB9200 I have. However, the Hornby AcHo version of this loco also has the short grille and I understood all locos of this class were different??? Hornby AcHo never made a 9200. The buffer beam is wrong as well for this class of loco.

Jouef later made a red version of the 9200 as running with LeCapitole stock. I have one somewhere, I might check it against this body. Apparently for a while they also incorrectly sold this 16000 loco in red.

Still, this one runs great and although I already had one it’s not in great condition.

forum_image_6128f933448b8.thumb.png.f8bafebb52ad5ed5ca3406b6d92640f3.png

A Bratchell models kit of a class 319/3. Put her into northern livery.Lovely kit to build & a sad reminder of how hopeless rtr is when a unit like this which has been in service since 1988 on the Thameslink services / used on 25kv ac / third rail , multitude of liveries , transferred north to use on the newly electrified Blackpool / Liverpool / Manchester / Crewe corridor & being converted to class 769 flex bi / tri mode units can’t get made. forum_image_612bd7b7766e9.png.5345f57b041950cfbee7374f33fdb0ed.png

Or in 'normal currency' - even I haven't worked with lb oz for 40 years!

737g locomotive.

91g tender.

453.592g / lb. 16 ounces / lb.

What's the chassis - standard new Hornby chassis with big flywheel?

Tender seems very light, 'though I've had this conversation elsewhere!! I doubt you'd get close to 40% of locomotive weight which is what I target.

Should have amazing traction, 'though I'd be careful not to burn out the motor!

Al.