Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

@Bulleidboy

That looks good.

There used to be a saying about a "Month of Sunday's", which seems to have been replaced with a "Month of Friday's."

I have not been able to work out which Friday is actually Black Friday this year, or last year for that matter!

MY latest buy which I could not resist a complete set of Triang Railways station and buildings

R60 Ticket Office R61 Signal Box R62 Waiting Room, R63 x2 Platform R64L x2 Left side curved end, R64R x2 Right end curved end, R66 Porters Room, R69 Newspaper Kiosk, R 70, Double level crossing, Level crossing gatekeepers Hut, R71 Footbridge, R73 Island platform Canopy.

Looks beautiful.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but are they still using the same chassis as the 'normal Railway grade' models - which is a good motor?

Reason I ask is I always add weight to mine, which brings them close to the now-considerable weight of the Dublo items. Obviously Hornby don't see this to be an issue.

One problem I have encountered is with recent streamlined Coronation models, weight increased by me making them able to haul the 9-coach recently issued lit LMS Coronation coaches - most problematic being the 2 Kitchen cars I find.

Problem I encountered was a failed final drive gear - resolved by using an aftermarket metal gear.

Al.

Sorry Al, I’m afraid my knowledge isn’t extensive enough yet to answer your question.

I know the real Coronation class was just a bigger more powerful version of the Royal class, but it was mostly changes to the boiler and pistons. I’m sure Hornby are still using the Royal class chassis, even if it is slightly modified to be accurate to the Coronation class.

No worries.

I have observed that final drive gear is the same on many - Coronations (normal and streamlined), Royal and I believe even the Merchant Navy I think.

It's definitely worth verifying where the commonalities are.

The 'metal gear upgrade' is a perfect, tight fit.

Al.

My most recent purchase was a model of the only standard class 8P number 71000 Duke of Gloucester.

The loco to tender plug and socket were not working so these were removed and the pickups were all hardwired together.

As a result the loco now has 6 wheel pickup on each rail and runs well. The 1 question I would like to ask ( if anybody has done this ) is whether there is a way to stop the loco looking like a dogs back leg when running backwards, loco sticks out 1 way tender the other way, can the drawbar be replaced so that a coupling is fitted which is fixed at 1 end but still allow the loco to go round curved track without derailment ?.

Even now, 3 months after I bought the loco, I find it difficult to believe that I only paid £20 for a loco I had wanted since it was released into the range a few years ago. The amount I paid was all the seller wanted for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nesta and Alice, Bachmann's new Quarry Hunslets in 009. I also ordered the Penrhyn Charls but that hasn't come yet. I am worried about the latter since Alice and Nesta were posted later. - is this the second loco lost in as many weeks by Royal Mail?

I gone slightly off track with my latest buys I brought a Hitachi Class 395 Blue Rapier 3 car unit and a Hitachi Class 395 City Express 3 Car unit.

Having looked at the service sheet for the Rapier, it appears with the use of a HO scale metal pantograph in place of the plastic one and the with the righthand side motor wire connected to said pantograph it could be converted to run via a live catenary wire, well that's I plan to try to do over Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a ‘latest acquisition’ as such but I had been after one of the bright green ‘Nellies’ with the number 27 rather then the more common Khaki version to add to my collection for a while, and an enforced clear out discovered one in a box that I didn’t know I already had. The big question then since I had it and didn’t know do I really need one? I don’t know if the photo will show the difference clearly but the colour is quite different.

forum_image_63b7280652b11.thumb.png.8e99b026ad04c46afaa3b52bceb2de7a.png