Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

The story continues .... typical!

I continued to have partial derailments at SLOWER speeds! Penny dropped!

The front bogie 'interference' with the drains didn't help, but that was 60% of the story, the other 40%, possibly more was one I've encountered a lot previously - Cartazzi!!

The retaining plate (permitting you to swap for flanged display wheels - or if you've a real scale layout) has little 'fingers' which can be fine-tuned.

I bent these very slightly each side, to raise the standard non-flanged wheels and bingo - sorted!! Wheels can still rotate freely, but there's no catching is the wheels swing across the rails.

Finally departed Lime Street en route for a tour around the Pennines!!

Al.

A quick update, and answer to the question 'was it the pony truck after all?'.

NO!

In view of the good running restored with the raised wheels on the Cartazzi 'pony' truck, I did try replacing the original front bogie, and it started pushing wide again, so I have her running in 'modified form' with the old-style front bogie.

Al.

I had been after a working version of this loco at a sensible price for a very long time and found one at the Bolton swapmeet yesterday grinning. For those who don’t know it was Hornby Dublo’s answer to cheap Triang and Playcraft sets and sold as a cheap throwaway loco only designed to last a short time and I suspect spares were never available. This one runs remarkably well and the only thing I can find wrong with it is a broken buffer. I must have one that’s a close match in my spares box!

forum_image_642a9ec34579c.thumb.png.2e948ad642d5e6c43c86dad6cbe1968b.png

forum_image_642b1bbaa0b8c.thumb.png.1281c03dc1b7645785165f61dfb9585c.pngI had planned to limit my purchases this year to the Dublo Scotsman but couldn’t resist this bargain. Picked up an End of Steam Black 5 R2686A, Pete Waterman Princess Elizabeth, City of Bristol R2553 and Duchess of Abercorn R3119 all for £100! Bit of a bargain and all models are unused with good boxes. Are they rare models?

Hi KJ, another Stanier man - excellent.

To say 'I'm jealous' is an understatement - very well done.

They are no more and no less sought after than others, but each if in 'as new condition' should go for at least £70-75+.

4 locomotives combined should be a minimum of £280, and probably closer to £325-350.

Fantastic rip-off, sorry purchase ... did I mention I was jealous? !!

I've an Abercorn as well, which I converted / renamed to 6233 Duchess of Sutherland - as I remember her in the 70's at Bressingham Steam Museum, without 'blinkers'.

Al.

@atom3624

I also remember Duchess of Sutherland at Bressingham in the 70's. In fact I can tell you the exact year and month.

We were holidaying with my parents at Caister and visited Bressingham. It would have been the last two weeks in July as that was my father's works holiday, and my son was 5 months old so it would have been 1977. I have a photo of my father holding my son on one of the seats on the Gallopers (which were still there when I last visited a few years ago) and I bought an LP of the Bressingham Voigt fairground organ, which isn't there any more.

We might have been there at the same time as you.

Hi TC, I visited a couple of years, but I think it was '75 and '76.

Royal Scot and Oliver Cromwell were also present.

Nothing impressed like that huge Duchess in the middle of the woods, blasting the boughs of the trees apart momentarily!

Al.

Hi Atom, Couldn’t resist at that price! I already have Sutherland in both guises so now I have one of each duchess in streamlined, semi streamlined, normal and without windshields. Annoyingly I just purchased Princess Margaret Rose for more than those 4 combined! But it does have a flickering firebox…

Just received a Bachmann Fowler B.R. 4F 0-6-0 tender locomotive - lovely model.

Already opened up, oiled, crew fitted and run at least 30-40 minutes each way, now hauling 11 LMS coaches on the line, without any problem.

A little lead added to the admirably quite heavy tender, to nearly equal the locomotive, as it would when fully loaded.

Al.

An older model today, in very good condition - Bachmann J39.

It's an old model but seems excellent and runs well using the battery test.

The cab is well detailed / moulded but not painted. Time to get a little artistic.

It comes with it's own crew, painted and still in their sealed bag.

Al.

I've just taken possession of a Flying Scotsman R.855 LNER loco and coal wagon. I bought carriages to go with it from two separate sellers on eBay and await their arrival along with a controller. There'll be no stopping me then. I definitely have a thing for the heritage locos.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest couple of purchases were non-railway - bit of a side of railway 'curiosity' - mix of a few of Britain's finest - 1/72 Spitfire, Hurricane, Harrier and Lightning ... always been fascinated in all manner of transport, not just cars and railways ...

Lightning will remind me of an airshow at Liverpool Airport when one came in off the Mersey, inverted, noise as the aircraft passed - ie FAST!!

Then it just climbed vertically out of sight!

Al.

Still got another 6-wheel coach on the way. As usual, Hornby sends them out one by one.

forum_image_6457a7f8eee6c.thumb.png.4c57d8707cd7714e78e6bd6c9de7f9e5.png

These are a little outside of my chosen era, but I really liked them, so why not.

forum_image_6457a7fd171a6.thumb.png.ce5930e08702c010e50dcb2a93ba035e.png

forum_image_6457a80109255.thumb.png.16ec21d5c3f4cc8563610913ef9544ca.png

My collection is growing, slowly. Managed to picked these up brand new all for £20. 2014, 2004, and 2003 catalogues.

forum_image_6457a804e8b38.png.1680ad5fbc0b712287393c61784e8d23.png

@DRC

How far back are you hoping to go with the catalogues? I have them from 1993 to date - the problem is they take up shelf space. I usually use them for reference when someone on the forum asks a question that can be answered via an old catalogue.