Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Talk about naps, I set a new record today by getting up at 5.30pm! It was actually dark outside and I was really puzzled when I woke up in the end. I had been to a pretty strenuous and very enjoyable wedding yesterday. At least you all had a break from me then, but I'm very lively now.

Never missed you Graskie, although it was quiet and we nearly fell asleep ;-)

Funny thing the body clock, when I was younger I did shift work for seven years, young family and wanting money thing. We did a run of 6-2 then 2-10 then nights 10-6 (although I did a lot of over time to confuse the body more)

Every time on nights the body reacted differently, some times I slept, some times not much sleep, everytime the body didn't know what part of the day it was.

We are glad you are back Graskie and... that you are 'very lively now' ;o)

Hi all

My latest is a Hornby NCB sentinal and 5 second hand Triang Hornby LWB NCB steel open wagons

to go with it.

Just need an NCB brake van now but cant remember who made one.

regards John

/media/tinymce_upload/Ashington_Brake_Van_9300-8.jpgAshington colliery used a former BR 20 ton van.

Hi all

My latest is a Hornby NCB sentinal and 5 second hand Triang Hornby LWB NCB steel open wagons

to go with it.

Just need an NCB brake van now but cant remember who made one.

regards John

I have posted a couple of pictures you may find useful. Model Master make NCB transfers you could modify to rebrand these.

And they had one of the LNER short ones, just like the old Triang one.

Hi LC&DR

Well If I don't allready have a late model one they are easy enough to find on the second hand market

thanks for the information

regards John

Hi LC&DR

Well If I don't allready have a late model one they are easy enough to find on the second hand market

regards John

I found one well at least the old style body that has been mounted on a new style chassis

Looks good to me so thats now just about dealt with.

Any idea if the real van is grey or bauxite ??

regards John

Hi LC&DR

regards John

I found one well at least the old style body that has been mounted on a new style chassis

Looks good to me so thats now just about dealt with.

Any idea if the real van is grey or bauxite ??

regards John

The short (LNER) ones were grey, the long (BR) ones were Bauxite. They retained ex BR liveries only the numbers and ownership details were changed.

/media/tinymce_upload/No7_Brake_Van_01.jpg

The attached is another NCB brakevan purpose made.

I met the man who made it. He was an apprentice at the time, but when I met him he had retired from being chief rolling stock engineer for NCB Philadelpia works.

The chain link symbol on the centre of the body indicates that the NCB wagon is authorised to be hauled by NCB locomotives over BR track. In Co. Durham this inter-operability was very common. The date in the symbol indicates the BR safety examination date.

I met the man who made it. He was an apprentice at the time, but when I met him he had retired from being chief rolling stock engineer for NCB Philadelpia works.

The chain link symbol on the centre of the body indicates that the NCB wagon is authorised to be hauled by NCB locomotives over BR track. In Co. Durham this inter-operability was very common. The date in the symbol indicates the BR safety examination date.

Hi LC&DR

Thanks for picture and aditional information

Main line runs as well even better.

regards John

Hi LC&DR

Thanks for picture and aditional information

Main line runs as well even better.

regards John

Years ago I bough a part-work "History of Railways" and in there I found a photograph of a English Electric Type 3 Co-Co (Cl. 37) leaving Seaham with a string of freshly overhauled NCB hopper wagons presumably destined to a nearby colliery. The NCB wagon livery was red with black metalwork which contrasts nicely with the drab grey or bauxite of normal BR rolling stock. Normally the NCB locomotives would haul these wagons, so I can only deduce that these were destined to a colliery outside the range of NCB driver's route knowledge.

In the late 1980s I explored many of the colliery lines in Durham and Northumberland where I saw a large variety of coal wagons in NCB ownership still doing hard work despite the damage done by the recent strike.