Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

The County of Devon arrived today. Seems a little slower than the others but might just need running in. I broke my rule about keeping the same type of decoder for the same class of loco by initially fitting a laisdcc stay alive decoder but found it's handling characteristics a bit different particularly at low speeds.

It wasn't bad, it justjust seemed different as it seemed to accelleratd a bit faster and did not slow doen so quickley even after playing with the CVs causing some rough shunting and could  so have just got and fitted a Hornby decoder.

The County of Devon arrived today. Seems a little slower than the others but might just need running in. I broke my rule about keeping the same type of decoder for the same class of loco by initially fitting a laisdcc stay alive decoder but found it's handling characteristics a bit different particularly at low speeds.

It wasn't bad, it justjust seemed different as it seemed to accelleratd a bit faster and did not slow doen so quickley even after playing with the CVs causing some rough shunting and could  so have just got and fitted a Hornby decoder.

Hello 81F    I have a County of Bedford which was earlier fitted with a TCS decoder. As this didn't suit my controller I changed the chip for a Hornby one. Now it runs perfectly and is a great favourite. Hornby really is a good Chip Shop. 😀

Re the maroon Mk 1 Triang Brake second - it was from a local model shop. Onoy other one I found was also from another model shop. 

Whilst writing, a local outlet is selling off Postal Express and the Highlander sets for just £50 each. I am wondering if they are closing as they had mainly sets left and no engines or coaches - just a few wagons.  

The other wheels I got for the Mk1 have gone on the worst running bogies of the Dapol Stanier 57 ft coaches kits jthat ran poorly on their plastic wheels but are fine now. 

/media/tinymce_upload/d6ad93c3d7f5015573940b29f4cbca54.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/db27e5bc97773a8636b0a658e06e6037.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/0adb6f9d11cf9dea3c4242acc3556856.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/e41d8b17baff86568df1817e26fbc768.JPG Hi

I have recently inherited two train sets, one clockwork, and one electric. The electric set has a third rail, but does not come with a power supply.

The clockwork set seems to work, but not sure about a couple of levers on the engine. I have no idea about the electric set, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

As you have already guessed, I have no knowledge on this topic.

First the clockwork set,

It is a Hornby No 41 loco with two No 51 carriages.

The two 'levers' that protrude from the back of the cab should have a brass knob on the end (and the look like they still do). These operate the brake and the reverse. Pull and push to operate.  The brake can also be applied by another lever underneath at the front of the mechanism which engages with a trip fitted to one of the straight rails.  I presume the set came with a key?

It looks like you have a box of track clips too. Very useful, These slip between the sleepers at either end of each piece and stop the rails coming apart.

The loco may need lubrication, I use 3 in 1 Oil  BUT ONLY USE IT ON THE CLOCKWORK LOCOS NEVER ON THE ELECTRIC ONES. Do not over lubricate.

Next the electric set.

There should be a rail with two screwed knobs, to which leads from a 12 V Dc controller can be attached.  Sometimes this is a straight, but more usually it is one of the curves.  The DC controller you will need has to put out at least 1 amp at 12 - 15 volts and be controlled by either a reversing speed controller or a speed controller (rheostat) and reversing switch. Modern wall plug types may not be powerful enough for this set. A Clipper or Duette would be idea.

The track and locomotive may benefit from a good clean. and the loco may need lubrication, very, very sparingly with light model railway oil. This chap does repairs and sells spares - http://www.dublo-spares.co.uk/standard_service.html

There are quite a few people on the forum, myself and Vespa just to name a couple who have some experience with both these makes so of you get stuck please ask again.

R3498 S&DJR Jinty, Railroad model, special price from Hornby, and R6776 Conflate and Container, for placing a Peco 'Lyons Tea' container on.

Just arrived are some Limited edition DAPOL SDJR liveried composite coaches from eBay to go with my SDJR Jinty and 2P. Sadly I think all the brake coaches are gone. I replaced the wheels with Hornby coach discs so they run better, though they are a bit sloppy.

Only thing is I don't know how authentic they are.

A Wickham rail motor in maroon came yesterday. Lovely little thing. Quite a novelty.

If you want to make it even more novel.

If it can be, replace the ballast load with parcels, news papers, mail, and crates of milk and use it as a delivery service on a quiet very very quiet in fact.

Branch line as a once a week service there is a VR broad gauge prototype for it 😆

regards John

A Wickham rail motor in maroon came yesterday. Lovely little thing. Quite a novelty.

If you want to make it even more novel.

If it can be, replace the ballast load with parcels, news papers, mail, and crates of milk and use it as a delivery service on a quiet very very quiet in fact.

Branch line as a once a week service there is a VR broad gauge prototype for it 😆

regards John

These machines were sold all over the world. I have documentary evidence that the Mauritius Government Railways had them, and I have seen film of them used in India.  For a time the Ffestiniog Railway in Wales used a 2 foot gauge version to patrol the line before start of service.

Just unpacked my Huntley and Palmers Peckett. Wow just about sums it up. The detail is incredible. I'm going to permanently attach a wagon with extra pickups if I can find a way to route the wires.

Now waiting for my 'Dodo' which has not yet been despatched although I have had the advice stating it is in the warehouse. I hope it will arrive by Friday.

I do find it rather sad that by far the most read and contributed to topic on these forums is the "look at what I've got" one. It reminds me of being back at primary school in January when everyone spent the first morning boasting about what they'd got for Christmas.

It's very symptomatic of human nature but, as I've said, I find it rather sad.