Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Hi 81F, so far I have Jane, Ruth, Anne and Mary and two number 79 brake ends to make my cheapo less than a tenner train.  I am ideally looking for a later Anne and a later Ruth.  However I do have later bogies so Anne and Ruth may have a bogie upgrade to later bogies and couplings and two non yellowed roofs are in store ready for the conversion. Later finer scale white rimmed wheels are also in storage ready to convert most of the coaches for running on both Super 4 and System 6.

This week I as minely been buying. Wagon kits parkside and Dapol along with a few cambrains. For what I've call my afternoon box.

Which ones? I haven't built a DAPOL or Cambrian one for years though as i have a lot of Cooper-Craft and pre lettered Slatters waiting. But I do have a Cambrian Crane and three Chaird sleeper wagons that need building

Hi 81F, so far I have Jane, Ruth, Anne and Mary and two number 79 brake ends to make my cheapo less than a tenner train.  I am ideally looking for a later Anne and a later Ruth.  However I do have later bogies so Anne and Ruth may have a bogie upgrade to later bogies and couplings and two non yellowed roofs are in store ready for the conversion. Later finer scale white rimmed wheels are also in storage ready to convert most of the coaches for running on both Super 4 and System 6.

I think I also might have Anne and Jane plus a brake (assuming the box is still in the coal shed! As none have boxes and are slightly playworn would i be correct in thinking that they do not have a great deal of value. I ask as I recal one has some damage on a bogie so I may change it but if they are not particularly collectable I might just use some of the newer clip-on bogies recovered from the short Hornby clerestories I have been rebogying.

Here is my Christmas present from my darling wife...

/media/tinymce_upload/40edfa468bbbc4797006f15f6941eeb3.jpg

Hornby R3396TTS Class 9F with Crosti Boiler 2-10-0 92025 in BR Black with early crest - TTS sound fitted. It's a beautiful model, a good runner, and the sounds are generally good.

HOWEVER, is there absolutely no way I can adjust the "Chuff" rate to match the rotation of the driving wheels? This for me, is the only thing which lets down this beautiful model. I know TTS decoders are a lot cheaper than Loksound, but they are a similar price to MyLocoSound decoders, which sound awful. But at least MyLocoSound makes an effort with a couple of CVs to give you some sort of configuration option for Chuff Rate.

Ray

Latest buy was a Hornby R401 Pannier sold as a 'poor runner, missing the chimney cap'.  Paid about the right price for it, found a replacement for the chimney cap in my spares cabinet - lovely.  Looked pretty good, considering it's age.  Cleaned the wheels, removed all the track pins around the motor and magnet! ,  lubed the XO3 motor, running beautifully.  Only needed new brushes, so this morning found the requisite brushes, removed the body, and......ping! The old brushes and spring came tumbling out!  Oh blow, seems the ?paxolin'? Brush retainer snapped as I took the body off.  So, either I buy a replacement motor, or make it a static model.  Can't blame the retailer, the loco is late '70s, so will put it down to experience. 

Rod

Having done some more research on the forum, have been able to identify the part for my Pannier, thanks to SoT and others, and have ordered a replacement (looks like a plastic moulding) and also a replacement motor complete, in case I have problems removing the old riveted holder.  Overkill, I know, but would like to get this model up and running again.

Rod

Well as this thread is so active I thought that my latest additions may be of interest. I have manged to get hold of 2 Thomas Hardy 70034 Brits that are going to be changed to 70033 Charles Dickens and 70039 Sir Christopher Wren. I got them new at £109 each today. I will have to pay out £8.25 for plates, each, and the number change is already in hand FOC now. I am now closing the door on the Brit collection, unless, I can get a couple with BR1D tenders to make Solway Firth and Moray Firth or the poor unamed 70047. Then that's it as I have most of the class carefully selected to be as accurate as possible.

Now you have nearly all the Britannias, Vespa, will you start on the Clans and DoG? 😆

I thought I was doing well  with 16 out of the 40 Schools plus 5 duplicates that may get renumbered one day when I get round to it, so I am very impressed at your successes with a class of 55 locos!!

BTW Comet make kits for alternative tenders.

My latest aquisition... An absolutely stunning model. Bought it for dad. My next Hornby purchase would be a Class 87 (whenever Hornby decide to do either a Caledonian, Virgin or Cotswold Rail variant). I'll probably get a Class 71 from RoS if funds permit.

/media/tinymce_upload/9ec2d680614967de3b47d1a0d62e8f19.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/37d9f065840109ec4c6afb112d2926bd.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/a17cb82a5ee4a409cd510bae8f3bcd5f.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/75a8c3982e89578a0116798ab7e04bb7.JPG

Now you have nearly all the Britannias, Vespa, will you start on the Clans and DoG? 😆

I thought I was doing well  with 16 out of the 40 Schools plus 5 duplicates that may get renumbered one day when I get round to it, so I am very impressed at your successes with a class of 55 locos!!

BTW Comet make kits for alternative tenders.

Bonkers, I know but they were "the" numbers to get in trainspotting days as it was still a full class of 55. I have three Clans and both versions of DOG as well. I am not paying £179 for anymore Brits though as that is a Brit (bridge) to far. So as I have said, the collection stops here unless I can get hold of a couple of good S/H versions of the latter of the class.

As youngsters we were almost guaranteed a Brit on the 7.30 mail to Perth and the "Half Eight Flyer", a non stop express to Scotland. Sadly in the mid 60's EE Type 4 (40's) took over.

Jeremiah, I also bought that little loco as I couldn't resist it in that superb colour scheme.

Dazzler, I have bought my Brits and renumbered and named many of them. Those with original Hornby names now have engraved nameplates as well. The class is very tricky to get correct for a particular year and I admit to taking poetic licence to a couple as they actually have the wrong tender being BR1A instead of BR1. So with so many boiler and tender swaps in real life they may or may not be correct as I am sure all changes were not fully documented. Thomas Hardy actually the later high sded tender in it's final years and Lord Rowallan had oval buffers fitted in it's last years. Many were outshopped in plain green with no lining at the end. As I say far too many differences to get too worried over.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/  Pages 90-92 is a great source of info.

Thats a very impressive collection Vespa. Its a shame to stop 3 locos short of the entire collection but i see where your comming from with the new prices. In Oz you wont get a new Brit for less the $360 aud thats what they want for TH down here at the moment and future releses will go up in price id imagine. I paid $180 from RoS, its the cheapest loco ive ever bought, no wonder the model shops down here are disappearing. 

Thats a very impressive collection Vespa. Its a shame to stop 3 locos short of the entire collection but i see where your comming from with the new prices. In Oz you wont get a new Brit for less the $360 aud thats what they want for TH down here at the moment and future releses will go up in price id imagine. I paid $180 from RoS, its the cheapest loco ive ever bought, no wonder the model shops down here are disappearing. 

I am actually 21 short of the whole class but I have 3 versions of 70000 Britannia. The 3 I would like to do are the Firths and the unnamed 70047. The Firths being Solway Firth and Moray Firth.