Duke Of Gloucester R3191

Clashfern

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really does look a good RR version, which would also be a better BR days representation without the modern warning symbols etc, For those with a steady hand it must be oh so tempting to detail yourself. Only other differences I know of are the cylinder

drains and wire handrails on the smoke deflectors.

cooped said:

It really does look a good RR version, which would also be a better BR days representation without the modern warning symbols etc, For those with a steady hand it must be oh so tempting to detail yourself. Only other differences

I know of are the cylinder drains and wire handrails on the smoke deflectors.
Looking at the link Johnygee provided, both versions have molded hand rails on the smoke deflectors. If that is the case, WTD has the right idea, purchase the RR version,

and detail if you so desire.

Hi WTD/Cooped

Duke of Gloucester had the appropriate, for the period, warning symbols applied at least a couple of years before withdrawal. The ones applied in preservation are the same size, but what's written on them is different!

walkingthedog

said:

The drains and handrails can be added. Warning symbols can be removed with care.

mortehoe said:

cooped said:

It really does look a good RR version, which would also be a better BR days representation without the modern warning symbols etc, For those with a steady hand it must be oh so tempting to detail yourself.

Only other differences I know of are the cylinder drains and wire handrails on the smoke deflectors. Looking at the link Johnygee provided, both versions have molded hand rails on the smoke deflectors. If that is the case, WTD has the right idea, purchase

the RR version, and detail if you so desire.

The expensive version comes with wire handrails plus many other items for you to fit.

walkingthedog said:

mortehoe said:

cooped said:

It really does look a good RR version, which would also be a better BR days representation without the modern warning symbols etc, For those with a steady hand it must be oh so

tempting to detail yourself. Only other differences I know of are the cylinder drains and wire handrails on the smoke deflectors. Looking at the link Johnygee provided, both versions have molded hand rails on the smoke deflectors. If that is the case, WTD

has the right idea, purchase the RR version, and detail if you so desire.
The expensive version comes with wire handrails plus many other items for you to fit.
Refer to my last post the two on the link provided, both are molded on the smoke deflectors.

There's been extensive discussion elsewhere about the handrails and Hornby have assured us the handrails on the final production version will be wire, but the pre-production ones are not. I agree WTD, not hard to replace on the RR version.

Thanks

for that nugget of information PP, was not aware of that!

The differences I can see are, the non Railroad version has...

1 OHL sticker,makers plate on smoke defelctors

2 Painted handrails on deflector (maybe wire on production version)

3 White boiler handrails

4 Painted ends on cylinders and drain

cocks

5 Painted pipe on boiler

6 Ohl sticker cb end of boiler

7 Lined drivers window

8 Pretty yellow axle boxes

9 Lining on cab sides and tender has black painted centre line.

Not a lot for 50% price increase, easy to paint 2,4,5 and

8. If you want an early BR you dont need the OHL stickers. They both seem to have speedo cables and cab glazing. RR version for me!

Postman Prat said:

Hi Cooped

You said "Thanks for that nugget of information PP, was not aware of that!"

You're welcome - I'm a mine of (mainly useless) nuggets!!!

Hope your grand tour of the uk is going well!!

I'm

still in the ole US of A, it's Tovideous who's on a Blighty trip right now. I was hoping to get me and the family over the 4th July week, but flights just too expensive so we're over the last week in August. Disappointed I'll be missing the great gathering,

but DDE and D of C should still be at York and hopefully we'll catch Sir Nigel on the NYMR (haven't told the wife this plan yet though!).

Looking forward to getting back home again, I have a new niece to meet!

cooped said:

Postman Prat said:

Hi Cooped

You said "Thanks for that nugget of information PP, was not aware of that!"

You're welcome - I'm a mine of (mainly useless) nuggets!!!

Hope your grand tour of the uk

is going well!!

I'm still in the ole US of A, it's Tovideous who's on a Blighty trip right now. I was hoping to get me and the family over the 4th July week, but flights just too expensive so we're over the last week in August. Disappointed

I'll be missing the great gathering, but DDE and D of C should still be at York and hopefully we'll catch Sir Nigel on the NYMR (haven't told the wife this plan yet though!).

Looking forward to getting back home again, I have a new niece to meet!

Hi

Dan

Please,please, bring some sun with you, after a month in Florida, we're home and have had the heating on. I might stay longer next year.