Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

I had mentioned my layout in another thread but ive made some further progress since then... Go easy on me as its my first attempt at building a proper layout and there is still a lot left to do! Im quite pleased with the scenery that ive managed to build so far though. Just been making metcalfe buildings this week which has been quite fun! None of them are attached yet though so just put them down roughly where i think they will end up.

Also having a small house and nowhere really to store this means its only a 6x4 and no tall structures!! 

Not really sure what to lay on the ground in my goods/coal depot... Anyway, here we are;

/media/tinymce_upload/eba5ed1484bf11e7a3a44356d09d1a1a.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/6c6aae9ae6ce3a917a43c9f8d84b3ab7.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/702fa028042ed25d8c7622c9a710fcd8.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/dd1e0fe37e17ac382a884b87b15bbf21.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/7abc389176d1e6a9f79f2813acf094d3.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/79af0a076999c4d72b5e2a39dc253b89.jpg

@Lexicaltje

The ballasting and grass both look very neat.  Well done.  Around the goods/coal depot you could raise the level of the ground a bit, as, unlike on the mainline, there wasn't usually a shoulder to the ballast.  I use a mixture of brown, grey and block fine sawdust-like scatter in my goods area.  Looks more like the rough open ground I've seen in some photos.

Nice going so far.   Keep up the good work. May I offer a small tip ? In your penultimate picture there is a reddish-brown building which I take to be a signal box. If you run a brown crayon along the white edges it will look more realistic. Have done the same myself on Metcalfe and other buildings. Best of luck.

@Lexicaltje

The ballasting and grass both look very neat.  Well done.  Around the goods/coal depot you could raise the level of the ground a bit, as, unlike on the mainline, there wasn't usually a shoulder to the ballast.  I use a mixture of brown, grey and block fine sawdust-like scatter in my goods area.  Looks more like the rough open ground I've seen in some photos.

I wondered if you had a picture? Im really struggling with that whole area and what to put down. Ive debated fine ballast just a darker colour, dark fine scatter materials or something else... Really not sure at all. But yes i may raise the ground slightly as you suggest up to the level of the ballast to make it a bit more realisitic. 

@Lexicaltje

looking good

may i point out in your second picture ,the dcc point clip is not correctly fitted  , may save a little work later .

have fun

Half of my DCC point clips dont fit correctly :( I dont know if i got a bad batch or something... They seem slightly too big and they arc inwards? Its really weird. They still work though, so i guess its not a massive problem. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with the clips, they just need pushing into the curved inside of the rail. The one nearest the camera looks fine so you are getting the hang of it. Here is a YT link, jump to 2:00m to see the bit about the DCC clips.

R-

Yeah i did watch that video before and ive tried fitting and re-fitting some of them time and time again but some of them just do not fit correctly at all. I will likely have another go at some point, i just havent because they seemed to work ok still. 

@Lexicaltje

looking good

may i point out in your second picture ,the dcc point clip is not correctly fitted  , may save a little work later .

have fun

Half of my DCC point clips dont fit correctly :( I dont know if i got a bad batch or something... They seem slightly too big and they arc inwards? Its really weird. They still work though, so i guess its not a massive problem. 

They seem slightly too big and they arc inwards?

yes they should ,if it comes loose then

a ) the branch will not work

b) they dissapear ,sometimes on to a loco and can cause a short circuit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@HFM_161216,

Thanks Kevin, yours is looking great too, i still have a long way to go before i can do any scenic stuff,

@Bulver,

Hi Rod, it was the Hornby class 47TTS, with the big logo, one of the first releases,