Railmaster DCC / Elink problems

Mark390

You know what, I've been silently browsing the various threads today - nothing else to do as it's too cold to go out to the layout in the garage and I've finished another Metcalfe model from Christmas - I'm frankly appalled at the comments from a relatively new member on various threads over the last few days.

I had major problems with my Laptop/Railmaster setup when I first got it, as some on here will no doubt remember - fixed by RM support logging in to my machine and sorting it, followed by me switching off the wifi on the laptop when actually using it to run trains.

problems sorted - the updates are done indoors with nothing connected to the laptop so I can reasonably safely say that my W7 laptop runs Railmaster perfectly in my situation.

I can only comment that if the 'new member', who shall remain nameless but resembles a famous train on the LNER, doesn't like RM and Elink that is his choice, but ffs stop slagging it off to dozens of people that have been there, worn the T-shirt and had their problems fixed!

apologies for putting the above post on two threads, but I think it needs to be said.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the posts have been due to  lack of knowledge  wrong use of firewall.    Every one to my knowledge has been successfully resolved   either by a fellow poster or by Hornby support. In this case you   do not want to avail yourself of either. There is little more that  we can do except to endorse a very good well supported product  John .

... and wave YP goodbye.

So, lets just recap shall we. I comment that I am also randomly receiving the error message ""The eLink interface failed the handshake test"" and I am the one at fault? Fine. Why is it that you all feel the need to comment on a thread that you clearly have no idea about or what is causing the error? Surely if Railmaster Support can log in to someones computer and address this error, then they should put up a list of error codes and their known causes/fixes

But I suppose that would be too much to ask

'Failed to handshake' means that your laptop is not communicating with the software (RM) on the expected COM port using the standard protocol used by the operating system for the software package.

The reason for this is usually because the basic parameters have been incorrectly set up by the user, the incorrect driver set has been loaded in error, thus the pc is looking for a device it thinks is some other device, or more likely due to blocking intervention by an over aggressive AV package.

All this can usually be fairly simply fixed by someone who knows what they are doing, in this case HRMS who have been there, done that for many people and definitely got the T shirt and a tick in the box from me as well.

Edit: Just posted my reply a tad too late.

@admin and others - I wasn't offended by YP just annoyed that we collectively weren't getting through to him/her.

'Failed to handshake' means that your laptop is not communicating with the software (RM) on the expected COM port using the standard protocol used by the operating system for the software package.

The reason for this is usually because the basic parameters have been incorrectly set up by the user, the incorrect driver set has been loaded in error, thus the pc is looking for a device it thinks is some other device, or more likely due to blocking intervention by an over aggressive AV package.

All this can usually be fairly simply fixed by someone who knows what they are doing, in this case HRMS who have been there, done that for many people and definitely got the T shirt and a tick in the box from me as well.

Too late RAF96 - but it will have fallen in deaf ears anyway I suspect. R-

Archived