Power for Track

paul_brooks2

Hi

Im in the process of building a Hornby track in my garage (Newbie)

The layout will be 6m long both sides and 2.5m wide both ends twin track with one cross over.

2 trains max running at one time

I will be using a Hornby dcc select controler for this will this be enough power to run that size tracks

Thanks 

Wait for an expert to be sure, but as far as I know the power of the select (1 amp) will have more restriction on the number locomotives that you wish to run at any one time rather than how far away they are from the controller. You should be OK with two trains. R-

Yep, it should be fine. As Roger says, it's not so much the size of the layout, but more about the number of locos and coaches with lighting. I'd recommend getting a better controller, such as the eLink or Elite as they can do many more things. It's also a good idea to add droppers (extra power feeds) around the layout to avoid relying on rail joiners to carry electricity around the layout.

Not sure what you mean by a crossover? Will the track be going back on itself forming a reverse loop?

See Brian Lambert's pages for explanations.

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/

quote from OP '...twin track with one crossover...'

Later posts talk to inner and outer loops.

From this I presume inner and outer loops with a transfer 'twixt the two via back to back points.

If however it is a reverse loop then you are into deeper waters and will likely required more advice, freely available on this forum.

Paul,

Sounds like my existing garage layout.

Two circuits - one circuit of double track - diamond crossover on each side of the garage. 17 ft long and 9 ft wide. Two or three trains running fine with a select on 1amp - now an link with 4amps power pack.

Wired with mains wire buzzbar, brown n blue all round with droppers every 3 or so feet. 

Train tech points decoder, also fed from the buzzbar with decoder placed under the crossing wires are no more tha 12inches long... Quite neat.

So what you have will be easily controlled from a select!

Enjoy!

hi Paul, start simple, one power feed from your Select to your layout and 2 DCC point clips installed in all of your points. If you find that works and the locos perform well all over the layout, you have no need to change. If you find they don't run so well away from the power connection, you can consider adding more connections. 

Some find that a single connection is all they need on a large complex layout. Others like Tony above install a bus which runs around under the layout and make regular connections to the track from it.  Go with whatever works for you.  Poliss has already referred you to Brian Lambert, an excellent site with all of this explained. 

That'd be due to where they manufacture now Graskie. Bring it all back to Margate and that will be solved. You'll even be able to have TTS with the sound of chips in vinegar-soaked Collector Plus magazines instead of People's Daily at a price that will have those ESU people quaking in their boots.  Or quacking in their boots on F18, such is the flexibility of local control. 

Archived