Right Way Round

Greetings, every time i start railmaster, it comes up back to front, eg, all locos are in reverse, and i have to click each one to change. Also comes up ALL STOP. Took me long enough to make the points start off the right way round. How do i adjust this please. john

Hi John

I don't know what you mean about the ALL STOP but isn't that the way it is supposed to be. Mine certainly has a big Red Bar across the bottom of all the Loco's that states ALL STOP.

As for the Manual, I don't know. It's nothing to be proud of but I generally only read instructions if all else fails!

All stop is lit up in red John as that is its next command state. If you press it you will see it changes to a green Start button which is what comes next.

I also don't like the all set to reverse on start up so I will be trying out the RDS recommendation.

RDS, there you are, twasnot only me, The all stop in red i understand, and that it goes to green next, but When i first set up RM, all locos were in forward, and all Start, now when it comes on its back to front. RAF,and i will now be able to correct the first part, but would prefer it to show start on set up. I think they will put on my headstone, unwilling to read any instructions. john

Hi John

Sorry but I cannot understand why you want it to say start on set up. As far as I know, it is only used in emergencies and stops everything with just one button press.

Incidentally, you could write a small program in RailMaster to swop them all over for you and have one of the floating buttons on your screen to run the program. (Page 106 of the manual, that neither of us read)

RDS, there you are, twasnot only me, The all stop in red i understand, and that it goes to green next, but When i first set up RM, all locos were in forward, and all Start, now when it comes on its back to front. RAF,and i will now be able to correct the first part, but would prefer it to show start on set up. I think they will put on my headstone, unwilling to read any instructions. john

I presume what you are saying John is you would like RM to perform an all stop after its normal startup checks so you then have to press all start to repower up your layout. You may have to suggest that to HRMS as a future feature.

I haven't got round to reversing the startup loco direction yet. I am waiting for rev 1.57 to appear as previously when an earlier revision came out it did exactly that and it was necessary to re-fiddle the direction, so I'm in no rush.

NO, i dont want that, if they all show up as forward, fine, but originally when i used it, prior to all this updating, locos showed forward, and start button green was there ready to play. Now on startup all reverse, red stop button. Thats all i meant by back to front. If you are not careful, your guest clicks on the loco with 9 trucks, which moves off in reverse, causing chaos. RDS, solution, hopefully will put this right. thats all. john

Ah, I see what you mean now John. Mine does the same but it had not concerned me because I tend to run programs from within RM control the Loco's as I don't like using the RM window to control them.

I can explain better now what the check box to Reverse Direction Contols in the settings window does. RM is set to start up with all the Loco direction arrows pointing to the right. The check box just changes whether the arrows pointing to the Right, means Forward or Reverse.

On the Elite Controller, Right arrow means reverse, so I have RailMaster set up to show Right arrow as reverse.

On the odd occasion that I have used the RM window to control the Loco's I have had to change the Reverse to Forward but I never thought anything of this. I agree it would be more logical if it were set to start up as Forward but still have the check box within the settings window to be able to change whether this meant Right or Left arrows.

NO, i dont want that, if they all show up as forward, fine, but originally when i used it, prior to all this updating, locos showed forward, and start button green was there ready to play. Now on startup all reverse, red stop button. Thats all i meant by back to front. If you are not careful, your guest clicks on the loco with 9 trucks, which moves off in reverse, causing chaos. RDS, solution, hopefully will put this right. thats all. john

Good morning John, the button you refer to is the Emergency Stop button. By default it waits at red and if pressed will stop all locos running on the layout. If you press it you will see, if you are quick because it is brief, a short message saying "Stopping". The button will now be green until you press it again when it goes back to it's normal red state. In the past when the button was green and you were ready to re-start operations there used to be, after pressing the green button, a message something similar to "Do you want to start up all locos doing what they were doing before you panicked and stopped it all" type of message. This is not there now. Unless you tapped the red button on start up it will stay red, so I can't see your RM showing green on start-up. I personally would not want that to alter. R-

RDS, great, sorry if i confused you.I as dont write or run programms, simply control 6 locos from screen. Thats why its irritating when they aqre all in reverse. I am convinced that they were not, when i first set it up. It is my intention this winter to get round to programs, but i have split loyalty with my much larger DC layout. Need a full time assistant. john

Hi John

If you just want to control your Loco's from the screen and are not bothered that the 'Right Arrow' will become 'Forward', then the method of checking the 'Reverse Directions Control' box in the settings screen I descibed earlier, will be ideal for you.

Incidentally, could I suggest that you try the programing facility within RailMaster - for me it is the feature I use the most and very powerful. It may mean reading that manual a little though!

RDS, hi, have altered as you suggested. now its fine. ROG, hi,, is the do you want to resume message a casualty of propack. cos as i have not the money to afford that, it may be, still there. I am not so fussed about the stop sign, now that locos show forward. RDS, how many locos do you include in your programme. There was a sample one that was in RM for majestic. I have tried that. john

ROG, hi,, is the do you want to resume message a casualty of propack. cos as i have not the money to afford that, it may be, still there. john

I am not sure and to be honest I always said "Yes" to the resume anyway. It seemed superflous to me as if when I looked at what was happening on the layout if I decided I couldn't solve the issue there and then I just took the offending vehicle off the tracks and re-started everything else. R-

John

I regularly run 8 Loco's. I currently have 3 Diesels with Lights, 2 Diesels without lights and 3 Steam ones. I have created individual programs for each Loco. I then create a separate program that Chains (combines) them altogether. I use this method because it enables me to create a complicated program from a series of simple ones. The use of a program ensures that the lights etc can be switched on and off easily and I can just sit and watch the Trains go by.

The 'do you want to resume' may be casualty of Pro-Pack because I have Pro-Pack it still works as Roger has suggested. (It obviously does not cut all the Power to the Track though because although it stops the Loco's, it does not turn any Lights off). As Roger has also suggested, the Red 'ALL STOP' button becomes a Green 'ALL START' one and when this Green Button is pressed you do get a window opening that asks if you want to resume all previous locomotives speed and directions settings. After confirming, the Button reverts to the Red 'ALL STOP' one.

Ah well, you well off Propack people. I think it should have been free if you had reached a spending amount of £ with hornby, a sort of incentive. Will look into this programming business, when winter starts, and i can stop my grass cutting activities. Who said 3 acres, was just a little garden. john

Ah well, you well off Propack people. I think it should have been free if you had reached a spending amount of £ with hornby, a sort of incentive. Will look into this programming business, when winter starts, and i can stop my grass cutting activities. Who said 3 acres, was just a little garden. john

Agreed John - I think after all the b*ggering about we 'longish term RM users' had to put up with in the early days (despite β testing by Hornby magazine and obviously other chosen individuals) and all the attendant problems we helped sort out, there should have been a pro-gratis key issued to the likes of 'us'.

No matter, what is is what is, so we have to live with it. If we want Pro then we have to find Eur 38+.

3 acres - that is a walk to the shops in my village. I have a 285 m2 plot. Some people have bigger sheds for their trains. I suggest you buy a goat - the ultimate lawnmower.

5 klms to the nearest shop, tough if you forget anything. I think my workshop, is almost the size of your plot, not to mention 2 garages, wood stores, chicken houses. problem is, at 58, you think its great, at 72, you begin to wonder. john

5 klms to the nearest shop, tough if you forget anything. I think my workshop, is almost the size of your plot, not to mention 2 garages, wood stores, chicken houses. problem is, at 58, you think its great, at 72, you begin to wonder. john

As you get older John a small-holding becomes at too-large-holding. The things I took for granted then are impossible now e.g. jumping onto the wing of a Canberra bomber because I couldn't be bothered to fetch the 6 ft steps; lifting a Triumph Herald engine onto the garage bench instead of rigging the crane; running a couple of miles to my destination because the bus hadn't turned up yet. Now it hurts to get out of bed.

could you land a canberra bomber in 3 acres, its 40 klms to nearest airfield. Your right, of course, but there is not a prayer of re entering civilisation. Quality of life here, and french health service, is second to none. Also, its too far for visitors, just us and cows (beef). I will go upstairs and look at programming, even they, (the stairs) look steeper. john

As you get older John a small-holding becomes at too-large-holding. The things I took for granted then are impossible now e.g. jumping onto the wing of a Canberra bomber because I couldn't be bothered to fetch the 6 ft steps; lifting a Triumph Herald engine onto the garage bench instead of rigging the crane; running a couple of miles to my destination because the bus hadn't turned up yet. Now it hurts to get out of bed.

The reason it hurts to get out of bed is because you jumped up onto a Canberras wing and carried a Triumph Heralds engine RAF.

Archived