Right Way Round

could you land a canberra bomber in 3 acres, its 40 klms to nearest airfield. Your right, of course, but there is not a prayer of re entering civilisation. Quality of life here, and french health service, is second to none. Also, its too far for visitors, just us and cows (beef). I will go upstairs and look at programming, even they, (the stairs) look steeper. john

I guess it's a good life until you get much older and don't want to be far from civilisation.

5 klms to the nearest shop, tough if you forget anything. I think my workshop, is almost the size of your plot, not to mention 2 garages, wood stores, chicken houses. problem is, at 58, you think its great, at 72, you begin to wonder. john

As you get older John a small-holding becomes at too-large-holding. The things I took for granted then are impossible now e.g. jumping onto the wing of a Canberra bomber because I couldn't be bothered to fetch the 6 ft steps; lifting a Triumph Herald engine onto the garage bench instead of rigging the crane; running a couple of miles to my destination because the bus hadn't turned up yet. Now it hurts to get out of bed.

The reason it hurts to get out of bed is because you jumped up onto a Canberras wing and carried a Triumph Heralds engine RAF.

To say nothing of all that marching to & from Workshops & Schools in tackity boots twice a day for 3 years in Brats, which wore out my ankles. And don't get me started on hi-tone deafness from jet engines before ear defenders were introduced. Not that I'm complaining of course.

Canberra wing - reminds me of when I was up there taking out the bolts that held the tip-tank on. They seemed a bit stiff and when finally removed the tank being full of fuel (instead of empty) became a tad too heavy for the 2 bods holding the handling cradle and it slipped through their grasp to the ground - OOPS.

Canberra wing - reminds me of when I was up there taking out the bolts that held the tip-tank on. They seemed a bit stiff and when finally removed the tank being full of fuel (instead of empty) became a tad too heavy for the 2 bods holding the handling cradle and it slipped through their grasp to the ground - OOPS.

I bet you all laughed! R-

RDS, whatever it is, you will live to regret it, hope you have a lot of time on your hands, for a fellow lancastrian, we moved here from lancaster, nodding neighbours of PJ and his caravan. john

You know I am joking John, we will help you wherever we can.

Who says i dont want to be far from civilisation. We visited the uk on hols with caravan 2 years ago, never again, Speed cameras, what are they, montrous traffic, the only things we see are tractors, and the prices. I can live for 3 days here on the price of a uk fish supper for 2. Thats the only thing we miss. There are no chippys in france. john

Archived