Wishlist for 2016/2017

LCDR

Bravo LC&DR

My son, complete with degree, cannot find appropriate work so he's working 16hrs a week in a local supermarket. And by all accounts he's a real grafter (can't say the same about when he's at home, alas)

As you know we are both the same age and I'm still working 2-3 days a week from about March through to November/December. Different to you, though - I get paid for it !!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bravo LC&DR

My son, complete with degree, cannot find appropriate work so he's working 16hrs a week in a local supermarket. And by all accounts he's a real grafter (can't say the same about when he's at home, alas)

As you know we are both the same age and I'm still working 2-3 days a week from about March through to November/December. Different to you, though - I get paid for it !!

My youngest son is a 'house husband' 06:00 to 18:00 hours while his wife, who is a care home manager goes out to work. When she comes home he then goes off and does two part time jobs, cleaning offices and a clinic. That takes him up to midnight  Monday to Friday. They have two kids (3 and 8) so he has the school run and then child care duties all day.  My eldest son and his wife both work full time too, but they choose to pay for childcare for their three boys. They take it in turns to do the school run adjusting working hours to suit. That is what a lot of couples with young families have to do. They claim no benefits, they have been brought up not to expect the state to cushion them. My eldest daughter who is disabled DOES claim state support, that is because she has difficulty finding a job that can accomodate her. She still applies for every job that comes up though.

It needs some symbol on the body side to break up a solid slab of blue. How about a simple line diagram representing railway tracks, two horizontal parallel lines with arrow heads indicating the direction of travel, a bit like these?? :-)

/media/tinymce_upload/Two_76s_at_Woodburn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With the 2015 programme now announced I would like to get my suggestions in for new items for 2016 / 2017 .

Firstly I will again stake my suggestion for a Merchant Navy Pacific in air-smoothed condition. A third batch version would be ideal.

Next something special to go with the BR/SR Bo-Bo electric locomotive already announced, perhaps some CIWL sleeping cars and the French luggage van to recreate the 'Night Ferry' Paris to Victoria via Dunkerque / Dover train ferry service. Alternatively some BR and European Ferry Vans of the period. Some with the typical peak roof and end brake platform might add variety, but PLEASE in 4mm scale and not a warmed over HO model.

Time to bring back the SR L1 4-4-0 I think.

A useful new type would be the Fowler 2-6-2T especially with condensing gear 40022 to 40040 series. Would go well with the new LMS suburban carriages.

BR welded body 21 ton coal hopper in both vacuum and unfitted varieties.

A 'Lowmac' low machinery wagon, not the old Airfix Lowmac EU but one of the 'curly' GWR design Lowmac WN (Loriot N).

A small Industrial 0-4-0ST or 0-4-2ST. Hawthorn Leslie or Andrew Barclay for preference.

Well, well, well, so far so good! A Merchant Navy is to come!

Let us hope that the Night Ferry stock and some ferry vans will miraculously appear now that both the 71 and the Merchant Navy need something special to pull!

• 2 weeks later...

Why have Hornby stopped the run of class 43 125 HSTs?  Yes, I know they have released the 'new' model but the remotored Lima shell was great at the price and is still much sought after.  Since all the moulds have been made, why not put them back in production as typical Railroad range purchasers can't afford the super detailed models - that's surely what Railroad was all about.  2016?  I reckon putting a blue/yellow original example in 2015 wouldn't be beyond them.  PLEASE!!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish........

With the promises of an original MN and the HA electric, I would dearly love to recreate a Night Ferry so the CIWL sleepers would be a winner; I would need at least four and the associated baggage vans would be a bonus!  Have explored scaling up the Joeuf/Playcraft item or buying several of the MARC models brass models but the first would present too many compromises and the second would cost more than £500!!

Whilst hoping for the impossible how about some 1950s Pullmans for a "Golden Arrow"

Keep dreaming?

How about a DCC Decoder with a bult-in stay alive having enough power to get any Hornby locomotive with limited pickups over the insulated frog of a hornby point or cross-over at slow speed and designed to fit in all Hornby DCC ready locos.

given the advent of a set of four silver A4s, a proper set of matching carriages...Given articulated coaches are already made for eurostar and the pendolino sets, you'd have thought could be done at a decent price.  If they can sell 1000+ boxed A4 sets, I'm sure they could sell same amount of Silver Jubillee carriages at c£300 per set!

• 2 months later...

How about a Bullied Z class, has a manufacturer ever done one of them?

GWR railcar - maybe even a banana streamlined one / BR Bubblecar

One of the Poppy branded LU trains, or some LU trains

Prototype HST

Large Prairie 4110 - work with West Somerset, or Eddystone with SLL as an overhaul fundraiser, etc.

Milk tankers

K Class mogul

Beattie Well tank

Large pannier, e.g. 9466

How about a Bullied Z class, has a manufacturer ever done one of them?

GWR railcar - maybe even a banana streamlined one / BR Bubblecar

One of the Poppy branded LU trains, or some LU trains

Prototype HST

Large Prairie 4110 - work with West Somerset, or Eddystone with SLL as an overhaul fundraiser, etc.

Milk tankers

K Class mogul

Beattie Well tank

Large pannier, e.g. 9466

The Southern Z 0-8-0T was in fact a Maunsell design.  There is a resin kit for one to fit on to a Hornby 8F loco drive chassis made by Golden Arrow productions. The Beattie Well tank can be purchased from Kernow and Bachmann will be making the 94xx pannier tank. Hornby and Dapol both make milk tank wagons or did until recently.

How about a DCC Decoder with a bult-in stay alive having enough power to get any Hornby locomotive with limited pickups over the insulated frog of a hornby point or cross-over at slow speed and designed to fit in all Hornby DCC ready locos.

I would like it if the could hard wire one in to a dc loco which worked even when a chip was fitted or not

I would like it if the could hard wire one in to a dc loco which worked even when a chip was fitted or not

Wouldn't a decent size flywheel on the motor shaft do the same job without the extra electronic complications? I find kit built locos with flywheels run much more smoothly and are less prone to stopping on short gaps.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived