Tablet

52train

Hi 52 train, do you have Railmaster? If so, and your tablet can detect your WiFi signal and you have a licence from Hornby for your tablet (or you are running the evaluation version) then yes you can. It is Railmaster that the tablet will "connect" to not the Elite. R-

Join the club. Its these thick walls, here in france. Cant get the signal, to my train room.  As a last resort, i ran a  very long ethernet cable from downstairs, through rooms, landing loft etc. No help for an ipad though. Some of the other tablets have usb slots, so, with a very long usb, ........... john

You can get WiFi repeaters that should help or mains links such as thesehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bt+wifi+extender&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=24514530294&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3554655224906904189&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_1qe6r2hw5o_b 

Sorry about the long link.

Everyone seems to be missing the obvious point of the OP's situation. He has clearly stated that his PC Desktop is downstairs. His railway is in the loft. It is therefore unlikely he will be running or even intend to run Railmaster on the downstairs PC.

Connecting the Tablet with hand held RailMaster application (wireless or otherwise) to the downstairs PC gets him nowhere. If the master Railmaster is loaded on downstairs PC then it will still need to physically connect to the Elite in the loft - are people suggesting a great long USB lead?

For best results, RailMaster needs to be co-located with the railway layout. Thus the tablet he has got, needs to run the FULL version of Windows not Windows RT or some other such cut down Windows version. So that it can run the full version of RM natively.

By all means 'shoot me down in flames' if I am wrong or missing something here..........I feel a 'rata tata tata tat' being typed somewhere......probably in OZ.

The only other solution is if his loft sockets are on the same ring as his pc sockets then plug in networking thingies may help to get a 'connection' up there.

My Cypriot house is 3 phase and I have no idea which ring is wired to what phase of my 3rd world electrics, but I can get all my pcs, Apple TV, internet torrent grabbing Smart Box and iPads to talk to each other using a combo of plug-ins and WiFi extenders.

I also shall stand well to one side awaiting the flak Chris.

Even with LAN extenders, it doesn't get over the issue that the Elite doesn't have an Ethernet connection only USB. The LAN extenders would overcome the wi-fi problem and allow the Tablet to connect to the PC, but how does the PC connect to the Elite? A very long USB lead is unlikely to be reliable over long distances even if of high quality screened construction.

Just as an aside Rob, Look out for your requested 'Police Car - How To' sometime tomorrow. Looks like I will finish it ahead of my original schedule.

My ethernet cable, is 50 foot long, and works a treat. I understand ethernet is better than usb, but am advised that it would be perfectly able to run RM. Before i had my ethernet, i used a long usb, with very few problems. john

Just as an aside Rob, Look out for your requested 'Police Car - How To' sometime tomorrow. Looks like I will finish it ahead of my original schedule.

OK Chris - looking forward to it.

Just trying edit again as you are still having trouble - did it work - it did.

And if you had pressed space bar after pasting the link Rog it would have turned into a clickable link to save people having to type it into their browser.

I did put a space after the link but I'm using a tablet and it seems to change the way a link is posted.  You will also notice that it has stripped out the space before the start of the link (http)

I did put a space after the link but I'm using a tablet and it seems to change the way a link is posted.

Why doesn't everything just work across the board.

Why can't a computer just have one red button and when you press it it knows what you want it to do.

I did put a space after the link but I'm using a tablet and it seems to change the way a link is posted.

Why doesn't everything just work across the board.

Why can't a computer just have one red button and when you press it it knows what you want it to do.

I seem to remember James Bond had one of those in his Aston Martin. Probably not the result you're looking for ;-)

Archived