Where should Airfix Go Next?

2ndRateMind

So, this is a strategy thing.

I understand the desire to maximise revenue out of old tools, and re-release old models, but the world has moved on, since then.

So; I commend the following ideas to you, for your criticism and improvement.

1. Look at what Tamiya did with 1/35th scale, drop 1/32nd, and build kits and figures to complement.

2. Expand the modern 1/48th range. A 'Prince Harry' Apache helicopter would be a good start. So would be a challenger tank. And some Taliban insurgents, and 'technical' trucks with mounted armaments.

3. Do some stuff in 1/56th 28mm scale. Loads of scope here in bothe the historical and fantasy realms.

4a. Drop the polythene plastic for the 1/72nd figures, and make them again in multipart hard plastic, which is more readily modelled/converted/painted.

4b Make some nice HO/OO buildings for railways, together with a whole load of civilian diorama pieces.

5. Do some stuff in 1/150th N Scale

6. Do some stuff in 1/220th Z scale

7. Do some stuff in 1/300th 'micro armour' scale.

8. Above all, do not repeat the failed experiments of the past.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Here's a thought.

I'm a railway modeller.  I have a project on the stocks, a prequel to the Nictun Borrud twins (see http://www.nictun.co.uk ) set in wartime when the line would have originally been built.  I am also working on a model of Gosport station which will be set in September 1939.

We have lots of military action figures that are running, shooting, throwing grenades and so on, but what I could really use are figures of soldiers being paraded, or just "hanging around".

Ok, so I'm just one modeller and its unliklely that Hornby would be able to justify making things just for me, but I'm sure there IS a market there for a better range of 1:76 figures; after all, almost all the figures in the model shop where I work are "continental" style and 1:87 (H0) scale.

Anyone else agree?

I have long been calling for soldiers/airmen at rest, brewing up, sitting around, in relaxed poses - much more diorama potential. And what about some Naval figures to crew the 1/72 boats in the Airfix range.

More airfield support vehicles but out of WW2 and into cold war/modern, ground and aircrew as well including helicopter rear crew. 1/72 and 1/48 the 1/48 vehicles downscaled to 1/72 along with matching figures.

Great idea, long overdue and would sell well I think!

4a. Drop the polythene plastic for the 1/72nd figures, and make them again in multipart hard plastic, which is more readily modelled/converted/painted.

Some of the 1/32 figures have been recenely moulded in K-Resin, which meant they could be filed, sanded and glued like plastic. The 1/76 figures can't be moulded in this stuff because the mould cavities are too small to pop the more rigid K-Resin part from.

Interesting about the 1/32nd scale figures. I didn't know that.

As for scales, I think we need be specific around 1/72nd, 1/76th, etc. As I understand the issue:

HO scale is 1/87th.

OO scale is 1/72nd, but adapted to run on HO track.

The Airfix miniatures are 1/72nd.

My own inclination, given to tearing down the mistakes of the past and rebuilding on solid foundations, is inclined towards ignoring 1/87th and standardising on 1/72nd. Including the track. I don't see any issue that commends 1/76th, for any reason.

As for soldiers in hard plastic, in 1/72nd scale. Other manufacturers have done it. And I have enough faith in Airfix to think that they could do it too, and better.

Thanks for a useful contribution, Jonathan.

Best, 2RM.

I have long been calling for soldiers/airmen at rest, brewing up, sitting around, in relaxed poses - much more diorama potential. And what about some Naval figures to crew the 1/72 boats in the Airfix range.

Indeed. Anyone who has served in the forces will know that war is 90% boredom, 10% action. At most! And, I should declare an interest. My grandfather served on an MTB during the second war. It would be a small tribute to his gallantry to model his command.

Cheers, 2RM

As for soldiers in hard plastic, in 1/72nd scale. Other manufacturers have done it. And I have enough faith in Airfix to think that they could do it too, and better.

Others have, but they've mostly designed them to be moulded in hard plastic from the outset and so the moulds accomodate these. The 1/76 Airfix figures were always designed with undercuts that didn't present a problem when moulding with a flexible material like polyethylene as the part could be ejected no problem - rigid plastic (even K-Resin) would just wedge itself in there.

Interesting you mention doing fantasy stuff, Airfix did try that with Robogear which probably qualifies as one of your past mistakes. Personally speaking, I wonder if venturing into 1/56th/28mm, 1/150th, 1/220th Z scale, 1/300th would also join those ranks?

Not sure that the micro-scale would do well for airfix TBH?

On my occasional visits to model railway exhibitions, I've noticed that the vast majority are 'OO' (Actually, 1:76; which is why Airfix produced vehicles in that scale- they had one eye on the model railway market). 'N' (1:150) is uncommon, and 'Z' (1:220) rare. That's probably a fair guide to the relative popularity of those scales.

Equally, the wargaming scales I suspect are niche at best. We were regarded with amused awe, at the local RPG club, when we set up our 1:300 wargaming tables (admittedly we did take the whole scale thing awfully seriously- if you think that a mile scales out at 17ft in 1:300, and modern battles are fought over 30 or so miles- In the end we just had to assume artillery support, otherwise the warhammer chaps, wouldn't fit in the room with us). And even then the one or two companies that supplied the models were struggling to keep going....

....So can't see 1:56, or 1:300, being winners for Airfix. Those scales, being for niche markets are pretty well covered by niche manufacturers, I suspect, and I can't see a major manufacturer getting a return on their investment, costs being what they are. Because let's face it; Airfix is a business, and it will only survive if it can make a profit. 

1:48 is a growth market, I think, and could be a goer. I think Airfix could do with widening the vehicle catalogue, to include tanks and more support trucks...

....Although, not before doing a Bedford RL, AEC Militant, and Leyland Hippo/19H in 1:76/72... (and perhaps a Stalwart, Ferret, Austin K9, Foden DROPS, Thorneycroft Mighty Antar, & Big Ben, Scammell Crusader....) :-)

As an aircraft builder, there are a few small steps to be really up there with the market leaders:

1. Seat belts. All aircraft had them, so should the kits!

2. Swastikas. Even do multi part ones like Eduard manage. Having a swastika in a kit doesn't mean we are going to start the fourth reich.

3. In 72 scale kits, have a moulded instrument panel, decals just look rubbish.

I agree with the original poster, drop the old moulds. I tried to build an Angel Interceptor recently, but they have degraded so badly, it's time to start again/scrap them completely.

But my absolute, ideal world dream would be a 48 or 32 scale DH 88 Comet racer (again the 72 scale moulds are horrible; moulded in pilots should not be allowed!)

Airfix should come up with a better way to do seat belts in Aircraft and vehicles. Look at Eduard's new fabric seatbelts for example.

Next, how about including masks for clear parts, at least on kits designed using CAD. The canopy being a focal point of an aircraft, a neatly painted one really sets off a model and masks are a useful aid for modellers of all skill levels to do that.

If you do canopy masks then wheel masks are a no brainer. That or make the hubs separate for easy painting

Not sure that the micro-scale would do well for airfix TBH?

On my occasional visits to model railway exhibitions, I've noticed that the vast majority are 'OO' (Actually, 1:76; which is why Airfix produced vehicles in that scale- they had one eye on the model railway market). 'N' (1:150) is uncommon, and 'Z' (1:220) rare. That's probably a fair guide to the relative popularity of those scales.

Equally, the wargaming scales I suspect are niche at best. ...

Yeah, I agree with all of this. But why are niche markets, niche? Because they are not marketed/supported/evangelised by the major players, like Airfix. And why not? Because they are niche. It's a chicken and egg thing, and my suggestions were aimed at putting together a coherent, consistent offering among all scales. Maybe some will end up needing to be dropped, as unprofitable. But I still contend that Airfix is better off looking at what the market(s) is/are buying, before deciding their production, than looking at all their tired old tools and bringing zombie products back from the dead. And, this was the sentiment that caused me to start this thread, not a hankering after any particular scale.

Best wishes, 2RM. 

• 2 weeks later...

One direction I would really like to see Airfix go is similar to the Hornby Railways idea of the Railroad range - a seperate branding for less detailed models with a price cap of £100 for the larger locos, compared with the newer super detailed. superior motored products. I'd like to see a definite differentiation between the older Airfix tools going back to the 60's and 70's etc. and the much more recent new toolings. Perhaps the older ones could be price capped on a Series by Series basis also - surely these mould would have paid for themselves years ago. The main problem would be finiding a brand name like Railroad but that applies to all of the Airfix range rather than just aircraft. You could always make a competition of that a give a few kits away as a prize!

Cheers, Beany

When it comes to small scale military vehicles, I think the recent Bedford set showed the way ahead.  The same could be done with Canadian Military Pattern trucks (CMP's) - three chassis in one kit, a 15cwt, 30cwt and three ton, with a choice of No 11, 12 and 13 cabs, all three with tilts.  Like wise, issue a second set of Bedfords, this time with parts to make a QLB, QLR and 6 pdr portee.  We are also sorely missing transport for WW2 US forces, how about a GMC truck and 105mm Howitzer combo ?  As a broad differentiation between 1/76th and 1/72nd, I would suggest keeping 1/76th for their WW2 releases, but start a new series with a conscious move to go 1/72 with all 'modern' (post WW2) military kits.   How about an all new 1/72 Centurion, with Israeli, South African versions (separate kits) along with a British Mk V ?  And, of course, an all new Chieftain in 1/72nd would not go amiss.  For small scale figures, I think that all new sets of WW2 Indian Infantry and modern British troops would be welcome additions to the range.  A move to the material that Hat uses for their figures could be an answer to paint and glue issues - apparently the Hat figures are in a more modern material that lends itself to this.

• 5 years later...

Bump:

I really wish Airfix would include seat belts on their decal sheets like many of their competitors do, espcilly Revell in recent years. 

Come on Hornby it can't be too hard; not all of us want pilots /navigators / drivers in every seat in our aircraft / tanks /cars /trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

They will probably go broke the way they treat their customers. The loyal rusted on people who would buy anything from Airfix aren't enough to sustain them. 

Three issues:

-Their prime business is making plastic kits. When I got back into modelling (with bad memories of Palitoy era 1980s Airfix) I avoided them like the plague until the only sensible zero I could find was an Airfix (new tool although that meant nothing at the time). That was a AAAAH! moment. £ for £ new tool Airfix kits are better than anything else I can buy in the UK and I've built everything from Tamiya to weird nasty Russian brands.

-The Airfix website and their shop does seem to be one man and a dog. Perversely they sell the kits in bulk to other larger suppliers so its quite easy to buy from someone like Jadlam cheaper and faster than Airfix themselves. That said Airfix is the only major kit company you can deal with directly.

-Airfix are a brand name of Hornby so some of the "one man and a dog" policies probably come from Hornby.

That said Airfix is the only major kit company you can deal with directly.

The blokes in Germany would take issue with that! They have their own online shop and sell other brands as well.

I assume you mean R............ I did not know that. 

Mind you is it REALLY them or a sort of franchise that trades under their name? I'm a bit wary of R........ some good ones but some truly hideous ancient things ex-matchbox in a new box. Their canberra was an expensive mistake.