What cries for a retool or upgrade?

JeremiahBunyan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As well as those listed by PP, (and I agree with his choices even though I am unlikely to buy them myself, they represent an area which is the 'cradle of the railway' and where a large number of enthusiasts live who I know would love some NER types)., I would add my own 'wants' , namely, -

Maunsell L1 4-4-0 and / or D1 4-4-0

Wainwright 'H' 0-4-4T

Maunsell Q 0-6-0

Billington C2X 0-6-0

Bulleid 4Sub and / or 4EPB

LPTB O/P/Q/R surface stock

I have to be honest I am starting to run out of locomotives which even with a pinch of model licence I can say I want now.

stanier 2-6-2s

Fowler 0-8-0s

There are others classes which are not RTR but which are promised or are kits sitting in the cupboard built or needing to be.  

So have started to look NE at their more interesting locomotives. 

But DON'T tell PP 

Hi LC&DR

I saw a Hornby L1 on one of the stands at the Bluebell yesterday and thought of you!  Also there were several

Triang EMUs - I thought they were reasonably scarce but that wasn't the case yesterday.

Also in 12" : 1ft scale I saw the H, and the Q along with the Maunsell S15. Bought a K1 (I hadn't intended to buy anything) when I saw 62024 - an old Gateshead engine.

After seeing a pic of PP I don't think  he's to dodgy even for a NE fan! :) but being serious I am thinking of checking the engine roster for the GN&LNWR joint railway and buying some of the classes along with the GCR and just throwing into a single layout the extra class include things like the o1 O2 O4 j11  j15 B1 B2 A1 FLYING SCOTSMAN  her self and others classes which am sure other members might know better than myself.  Oh and a bullied 4-6-2s could even be run at a push

Hi LC&DR

I saw a Hornby L1 on one of the stands at the Bluebell yesterday and thought of you!  Also there were several

Triang EMUs - I thought they were reasonably scarce but that wasn't the case yesterday.

Also in 12" : 1ft scale I saw the H, and the Q along with the Maunsell S15. Bought a K1 (I hadn't intended to buy anything) when I saw 62024 - an old Gateshead engine.

Since Hornby brought out the 2Bil and 2Hal the Tri-ang EMU seems to have appeared in large numbers second hand and more sensibly priced.

The Bluebell have a really splendid line up, and I am so pleased that it is now fairly easy to get to there from York, by train in a day.

Everything needs to be fitted with NEM pockets, so that modelers such as myself who use Kadee couplers and the Roco and other couplers can fit them easily. Also everything should have either a 4 or 21 pin chip. All diesels should have 8 pins so they can have lights fitted, but steam locos (smaller ones) can have 4.

Everything needs to be fitted with NEM pockets, so that modelers such as myself who use Kadee couplers and the Roco and other couplers can fit them easily. Also everything should have either a 4 or 21 pin chip. All diesels should have 8 pins so they can have lights fitted, but steam locos (smaller ones) can have 4.

Fully agree with your suggestion on NEM couplings.

Pretty confused about your suggestions on DCC sockets? Why should everything have a 4 or 21 pin DCC socket (Can you define everything)? All diesels and electrics do have 8 pin sockets.

All the Railroad models are now DCC ready (apart from the smaller locos). All of the steam engines have 8 pin sockets (apart from the smaller ones). All DCC sound models have 21 pin sockets. The only thing left are the smaller locos 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 variants which can use 4 pin sockets.

• 4 weeks later...

The B12 is definitely due for a retool. The tender is already available in the B17 (short version) and the same will soon appear in the D16, so only the loco body and chassis need developing.  They could also develop the earlier GE version with Belpaire firebox and intricate splashers. This would allow Hornby to make lots of different liveries.

Meanwhile the older version (of Triang pedigree) could appear in the railroad range.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Any model that has traction tyres needs them to be re designed not to need them.

Not heavy enough and doesn't have a powerfull enough motor in it

It realy is that simple make it heavy enough and have a powerfull enough motor and traction tyres not needed

Ditching the cheap and nasty plastic chassis is a good start and replace it with a machined heavy metal one

regards John

If we are talking of things that need re-tooling in the range then it has to be the track system around since 1970 and Tri-ang days System Six as it was named then is showing it's age. Ironically Tri-ang slipped up on System 6 as the previous system Super 4 had accurate sleeper sizes and spacing, this accuracy should have been carried over into System 6 but wasn't. This was probably due to rivals like Lima and Peco making a code 100 system and the need to fit in rivals systems. ironically these other makes have inaccurate sleeper spacing and sizes.

New curved points are needed for 3rd, 4th radius and 5th radius so you can have an outer curve around a 4th radius curve.

The diamond crossings are also showinig their age and need revision, a couple of 3 way points and a double and single slip wouldn't go amiss as well.

I do so agree about the track SoT. The old Farish Formoway and Triang Super 4 actually looks better under British trains, but Peco Streamline and Series 6 is more at home under mainland European and US prototypes. Even the old Hornby Dublo two rail track was a reasonably close approximation. However I fear you and I will be in a minority of two, because everyone has committed to the HO track so loved nowadays.

I do so agree about the track SoT. The old Farish Formoway and Triang Super 4 actually looks better under British trains, but Peco Streamline and Series 6 is more at home under mainland European and US prototypes. Even the old Hornby Dublo two rail track was a reasonably close approximation. However I fear you and I will be in a minority of two, because everyone has committed to the HO track so loved nowadays.

Add me also... I somehow dislike the current range of tracks. Having concrete, wooden and steel sleepers offered would also be nice. Currently Peco only offer those in the flexi-track option. And it's always been odd that concrete sleepers are offered in grey, steel in a rust brown but wood in black. Seems odd doesn't it.

Well if they can produce code100 track with more correct OO sleeper sizes and spacing I say do it

The right look from the top view would be a great improvement, 

Perhaps have some modern compatible track as well like steel  or concrete sleepers on plain track.

Perhaps while there at it they could fit a DC LED light to the hydrualic buffer stop as well, and revamp the signals back to something like scale size

Maybe add some disk or mini arm ground signals or stacked up on a signal mast and working Mc & H point indicator for fitting to Hornby  points while they are at it.

Might just as well ask for the whole package.

regards John

The signals definitely need changing, not retooling but starting from scratch, they're more suitable for something between OO and O gauge.  

Interesting what JBM said about the track, concrete sleepers on track and points would be a good idea. I've noticed on our local line that although the track uses concrete, most of the points have wooden sleeper and they are brand new. Wooden sleeper to tend to be black even if they're brown when new. I've got some in my garden and they're as black as night. 

Archived