Civilian figures unpainted

edward_goodwin

The Bachmann figures are a better 00 scale representation than the German H0 makers such as Priesler, Noch and Busch, but a rather limited range. However, I have found that the China sellers on e-bay are now starting to produce figures in very near 1:76 scale if you search hard enough you can find 1:75 scale un-painted or poorly painted for about £4 per 100 delivery included.

Once repainted, they look far more expensive. Under a magnifying glass the moulding detail is remarkedly fine for the price.

For example see here.

I wouldn't touch those Chinese import figures with a bargepole. You have no idea if the paint they use contains lead. Unlike official imports from people such as Hornby, they have not been CE tested.

You can still get the old Airfix civilian figures btw.

I'd agree that the old Airfix civilans and workmen now made by Dapol are fine for 20th Century figures. The Bachmann figures are better for post 1980 periods, especially the railway staff.

What a lot of  people overlook is that figures and their clothes changed over time so only look 'right' in a particular period. The European HO and some whitemetal figure producers do cater for different eras but the former are to 1 :87 scale and not 1:76 so are too short, and the whitemetal figures are horribly expensive.

So I would encourage Hornby to consider making some appriopriate figures for a range of periods.

Flat capped and waistcoated workmen are ideal for the late steam era (1930s to early 1960s) , bib & braced overalls under the waistcoat of course.  The foremen wore Trilbys and the Gaffer wore a bowler. It was rumoured that Loco Inspectors wore bowler hats because they deflected bits of coal accidently on purpose dropped on them by engine crew, better than Trilbys!

Before the 1930s the flat caps were bigger and senior personnel might have sported a Boater,although Bowlers were still fashionable.

Watching old films confirms that very nearly all men at work wore collar and tie. (White or Blue?)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought some B'mann 00 loco crew figures and they are too big to fit in my Hornby 00 loco seats - steam or diesel. They are just about OK in standing roles and appear to be accurate scale vs full size ratio - e.g. 5-1/2 to 6 ft equivalent. The figures supplied with some 00 locos are a lot smaller more like H0.

My Dapol station people seem to be the right size.

Re - making model folk look like other folk - colour has more to do with things than accurate form at the ranges we generally view our models. e.g. a model figure viewed at 10 feet is equivalent to viewing a full sized person from over 250 yards away. At that distance a yellow/white blob on someone's head taking into account a matching painted-on hi-vis vest, etc will come across as a site worker in a safety helmet not a bloke in a suit wearing a flat cap or trilby.

Rob

For marking the relective strips on the hi vis clothing I used a thin rollerball silver gel pen. It's amazingly easy and depicts the strips very well! Very thin.

This one was a test run and will have another coat of paint however you can see the reflective markings:-

/media/tinymce_upload/45317398819d5a38563255a6b865f07f.JPG

The rest of the guys hanging around for completion:-

/media/tinymce_upload/8010ec585b66ffd5ceb9f305c027f4bc.JPG

I bought some B'mann 00 loco crew figures and they are too big to fit in my Hornby 00 loco seats

Rob,

Look back through the past few months editions of RM and you'll find a small article on a firm called Master Piece. He produces bespoke figures (painted or unpainted if I recall) designed and posed specifically for many of the Hornby /Bachmann steam locomotives. There are sometimes several different poses available for each loco type.

No website though - I seem to recall it was his son's business which he took over as a retirement hobby.

I think it is Springside who make diesel /electric drivers.  😀

Cailean

Hi Cailean

I was at the South Hants Model Railway Club exhibition at Portsmouth on Saturday. Standard of exhibiys quite high.

Masterpiece Falcon Figures were there with a 'mock-up' of a cab. They'd give you a greasetop hat, pose you and then do the full scan for 'printing'. Impressive!!!

His phone number is 01428 727341

e-mail    masterpiecefalconfigures@yahoo.co.uk

Hope it's useful

Just an update on the modern rail workers I was painting. I decided to simply leave the hats as they were. Three coats of Revell Flo Orange, silver gel pen for reflective strips, Mattcote then a dark wash to pick out clothing detail and add shadow followed by a rub down so they didn't look too much like NCB workers.

/media/tinymce_upload/95d26e54fa7d860cd417e51c2652e0a4.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/0bcabc00aee36a0fc73c9b8853877749.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/bfd6826585defa0f8a5f876ae5664648.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/7851b34ba2928d2c3c1b3ec604f07353.JPG

Archived