Jimyjames Model Rail/Working Roundhouse/other Railway Videos :)

JJ73

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Have you noticed that when your using your Loco's & when you turn the power off some Loco's stop straight away & others will travel  X amount of C.M. before stopping??? Well as usual I've made a video go out to explore just that!!!

Here is the Link :-

(It's Live now 11/07/2019)

It's not a good idea to even need to notice the 'flywheel effect' or jam the wheels up.

2 years down the road, you'll be asking 'how do I change the nylon drive gear of 'x' or 'y' locomotive'.

100% as WtD says - with and without flywheel.

Al.

I don't usually look at posts by JJ and certainly not his videos, but about once a year I get curious about what others are replying.

I find the analogy with what I assume is a petrol / diesel car a bit odd since a car that's out of gear would freewheel quite merrily downhill with the engine turned off without doing any harm to the engine and one that's in gear would automatically jump start.

I'm also puzzled as to how cutting the power to an electric motor would wreck a loco since all the moving parts are interconnected and would all stop moving at the same time. A flywheel keeps a certain amount of momentum which is also transmitted through the other moving parts after the power is cut.

I have six cut off switches around my layout around 2 metres apart that kill the power to the track and stops all the locos instantly.  These switches are in place as an emergency measure to prevent collisions, which I think are a more likely way to wreck locos than cutting the power.

I would sure like to know the logic being applied to reach the aforementioned conclusions, since they don't make any sense to me.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Some evidence would be good.

Norman, you are entitled to your opinion of course.

JJ had observed something, for which we clarified the potential to damage parts.

That gears are interconnected doesn't make it a good thing - in your case it's presumably to avoid even greater harm - one train running into another.

These locomotives nowadays have components made of a mixture of materials, in the interests not just of costs, but of smooth running, but it HAS been on this forum on several occasions, incidents whereby plastic / nylon gears have broken - this can be for several reasons, but one will definitely be for exaggerating the loading on them which sudden increases, cuts, and in some circumstances reversals of power will create.

Interconnected or not, a sudden load on any gear, or supporting shaft / bush / bearing will increase the the speed of wear on those components.

Free-wheeling in a car is perhaps not the best analogy - slotting from first, moving forwards, straight into reverse would be!!

All parts are still interconnected, but momentum will not help here.

Bottom line is, many locomotives have a flywheel added to smooth its operation, but this needs to be accounted for and considered when accelerating - there are plastic dogbone driveshafts in many places which can flex, twist and in some cases break, so smooth operation is not just 'realistic', it will be a great benefit to the longevity of operation of your locomotive.

Al.

I think one should remember that if the loco uses a worm drive it only works in one direction, I don’t mean forward and reverse. The worm gear will drive a cog but the cog will not drive the worm gear. Suddenly stopping a loco from a high speed can strip the worm or cog.

Incidentally I don’t really need emergency stop sections on my layout as I only run trains slowly, but I guess they can be a good idea for the occasional emergency. Turning the knob to zero works for me. 

@atom 3624

Free-wheeling in a car is perhaps not the best analogy - slotting from first, moving forwards, straight into reverse would be!!

That would just be common sense and could easily be supported by evidence.

My comment was in response to a comment made about turning off a car engine whilst driving along.

but it HAS been on this forum on several occasions, incidents whereby plastic / nylon gears have broken - this can be for several reasons, but one will definitely be for exaggerating the loading on them which sudden increases, cuts, and in some circumstances reversals of power will create.

On many forums regardless of their subject matter people will theorise about why things happen, but just because a number of people, or even a very large number of people, have made the same comment on something doesn't make it a fact.

Of course there are similarities between model railways and real railways but I think that people sometimes get carried away extrapolating conclusions between the two.

one will definitely be

Where's the evidence?

@WtD

Incidentally I don’t really need emergency stop sections on my layout as I only run trains slowly, but I guess they can be a good idea for the occasional emergency. Turning the knob to zero works for me. 

I don't know why you assume that I might be running my trains fast.

My layout is 4.0m x 1.8m with 5 loops and a passing loop, all interconnected with points and four diamond crossings plus sidings, sometimes running up to six trains at once and watching what my four year old grandson is getting up to.  By the time I worked out which train to stop on the screen to prevent a crash it would probably be too late even at relatively slow speed.

Ah the magic word screen and grandson answers my question. I just turn the knob to zero of the controller powering the loop and the loco stops. 

My grandson hasn't played on my layout.........yet. Perhaps I will also require an emergency switch. 

I wrongly assumed fast running because of possible collisions. I don’t have them, well haven’t yet. Plenty of time to stop. My apologies. 

Norman please do not 'part quote' me without the linking comments.

The 'definitely be' IS a generally considered 'mechancial sympathy' most operators use to permit better and longer operation of these locomotives.

Brutal and abrupt operation of 'anything mechanical' is always advised against, for generally pretty obvious reasons.

Al.

Heart medication,

ummmm how about 'Eva Green' seems to work for me! 

Is this the JJ dumping topic file. Where anything JJ says gets put? Has I'm sure the sudden stop starting topic was by its self yesterday.

Not everything JJ posts gets put here. Just his YT video channel links. Adam the forum administrator asked JJ to keep his video links in this thread some time ago. JJ sometime forgets.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Video (03/08/2019) Simply Called "Railway Photos" (also it does contain 2 videos as well) here is the link :-

Also 2 other videos coming this way over the next few days...1 may be a bit famous (kind of) & the other a very unusual road here in Derbyshire!!!  😉