What's on your workbench?

81F

Wolseley, good plan! I hope you can post some updates. The old HD Duchesses were pretty rugged birds., I have got 3 now, one gloss Montrose , one matt Montrose and one Athol. I also have two City of Liverpools, one repainted green and the other repainted as Duchess of Hamilton, still in red, in the condition before the NRM put the casing back on. (All still 3 rail)

Wolseley, good plan! I hope you can post some updates. The old HD Duchesses were pretty rugged birds.

I will but, as we're in the middle of a kitchen renovation and I have to paint the ceilings soon (it's a four bedroom house, so that's a lot of ceilings), it could be a while before I post an update.

Aside from the gloss Montrose I am working on (it will probably end up as a Duchess of Sutherland though), I have, as stated earlier, a near (but not quite) mint Montrose, an Atholl (bought as a non-runner said to be only good for spares but, after fiddling about with it, I found that the reason it was a non-runner was that someone had tightened up the armature bearing too tightly - the bodywork was a bit battered but looks quite presentable now) and I have a Wrenn City of Glasgow body and tender and a Hornby (present day company) streamlined Duchess of Gloucester and tender that are both in need of a chassis.

Then there is this one, which I converted from a very playworn Duchess of Montrose:

/media/tinymce_upload/4c65496f8b78d8bc822c08c9c077f27e.jpg

And seeing as how I haven't contributed much to this thread so far, just to show what else I have been up to, here's a photo of the last locomotive that was on my workbench:

/media/tinymce_upload/516caae807ce8aace50497a1b81b4f4d.jpg

Thought I would add TTS to my NRM City of Truro............firstly it needed a 21 to 8 pin adapter.........

/media/tinymce_upload/222eb01bd8db246dbbc6ec1f4152d934.jpg

but when the 8 pin was plugged in it was too high so body would not fit...........also the round speaker is too wide so will need a small sugar-cube.........

/media/tinymce_upload/7999c9a65037be905751d6aa4a3c991c.jpg

shucks, will have to get a 21 pin sound decoder......... 🤔............HB

Project completed successfully..........NRM City of Truro is now powered by an A4 TTS decoder......... 😆..........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/876fff1b90f098697f7c387fa750b912.JPG

8 pin socket fitted to vero board and wired up......

/media/tinymce_upload/394415716cacee6d8d2fe9b5c6c15714.JPG

Sugar cube speaker fitted and TTS plugged in............

/media/tinymce_upload/cd7b6595b266502678510b7f59ab9875.JPG

Tender re-assembled with locomotive and run on test track........CV150 set to =1..........runs beautifully if a bit loud........excellent result........... 😆..........HB

Whats on my workbench...

Currently a lot of bits from five of the later Triang Mk1s and one repainted Thompson. All the coaches were bought relatively cheeply with various bits of damage and I have stripped them down with a view to reassembling the undamaged components into "new" coaches.

To this end can anyone tell me the closest match to the Rail Grey used by Triang on their intercity coaches.

I finally got around to fitting metal wheels and pick-ups to the trailing bogie of my Tri-ang Blue Pullman.  The motor bogie has always run smoothly, if a little noisily, and now it can traverse insulfrog pointwork slowly without stalling.  Hurrah!  

/media/tinymce_upload/d9b9ca18f747fb8835e2614ade4a4d0d.JPG

I am now trying to do something similar to two Jouef locos I recently acquired.  Unfortunately, in each case the powered bogie has a traction tyre attached to each wheel, so the locos are stuck with 2 wheel pick-up on each side from the non-powered bogie. I am going to have to permanently attach a shunter's truck with metal wheels and extra pick-ups to the smaller loco, and maybe a luggage car to the bigger passenger loco.

I have mine fitted with basic R8249  decoders and they perform nicely under control on a clean track, except for the usual short wheelbase over insulpoints stalling (speed dependant).  They pull a rake well also under dcc.

I have more trouble with 0-6-0s as they rock over some dodgy points and lift a wheel, thus losing pickup. I'm sure a bit of detailed fettling would cure that could I be bothered to set to it.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my investigation into using an X6100 Class 60 sound 21-pin board to convert my HST to 21-pin (and so use a reblown sound chip that I already had) has worked beautifully. I have simply replaced the main board with almost no modification - just shifted the plastic board spacing plate a few mm. It did need a light board from a dummy car to be used in the power car - or a case of disassembling and de-soldering the LEDs and refitting with reversed polarity. (Be warned, Hornby now supply spare light boards that are all common negative for the HST whereas when new the board was common positive in the dummy and common negative in the power. If you have an old spare it's a straight switch. If not you need to desolder the LEDs, turn them around, and re-solder them as the Class 60 board is common positive for the lights. If I can upload a photo I will, but havent been able to for a few days...

This also opens up the options to fit switchable day and night headlights as the pcb will take it.....