New Kit Suggestions

Christopher Woodman

• 6 years later...

Any Royal Navy destroyers of the "A" through "I" classes in 1/350 scale (but leaving out the "G/H" class as they had significantly smaller hulls).

Optional bridges would allow the "A" to "F" classes to be changed into the "I" class and the Canadian "A" class.

This is sadly a large gap in the worldwide modelling range, and highly appropriate for Airfix to fill in. About fifty-six different ship could me represented with such a kit. More if you include RN ships subsequently transferred to the RCN.

I know that Airfix don't have a big bomber range but I would really like to see a model kit of a Ki-21 bomber. It was a major player in the pacific war and there is not much variety of kits to find of this aircraft.

I know this plane isn't an RAF aircraft but it would be really nice to see

I agree with this. Most Japanese aircraft and vehicles in general have always seemed to be fairly neglected in kit form by main manufacturers. Models from Japanese firms are a bit expensive these days and not always a decent quality. It would be good if Airfix could come up with a twin engined follow up for the Nakajima Kate.

I know that Airfix don't have a big bomber range but I would really like to see a model kit of a Ki-21 bomber. It was a major player in the pacific war and there is not much variety of kits to find of this aircraft.

I know this plane isn't an RAF aircraft but it would be really nice to see

The KI 21 is just released by ICM, I have a couple and they are outstanding kits.

Randall

I would like to see a revamp of the chinook and puma in 1/72. Both aircraft passed milestones last year, the puma 50 yrs in RAF service and the chinook 40. 2 aircraft were painted up in anniversary livery which would be nice to see on a revamped kit of them. Also I think the old 1/72 Canberra would be nice to have as a revamp. There were quite a few variants of this old work horse and this aircraft too also reached the milestone of 50yrs in service. It would make a nice compliment to the V bomber collection. Here's hoping.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd love Wasp with the mould also used for a revamped Scout. So many countries used the Wasp that there is probably more demand for that then the Scout. I'd prefer 1/72 but I think it would be a cool kit in 1/48 or even 1/24!

The re-release of the Bloodhound missile has made me think that it would be nice to have British missiles of the 50s and 60s represented in a larger scale. Bloodhounds and Thunderbirds might be good for dioramas in 1/48 or 1/35th scale and they'd make interesting stand alone displays in 1/24. Possibly even a Sea slug missile for extra wierdness.

Would like to see a retooling of the 1/72 scale Airco DH4. I am finishing one now and it was a very good kit when it was released in the 1960s. A new kit could incorporate the several different types of powerplants as well as the two types of landing gear and firepower variations. One could also incorporate an Airco DH9 by developing a fuselage and engine or having Blue Rider reproduce their DH9 fuselage/engine again. Both aircraft were produced in the thousands and many were used post WW1. The only other 1/72 DH4 available is the limited run Pegasus kit which is hard to get. No DH9 kit exists that I know of. A wide variation of decals could be made available to match the different engines and promoted in one kit so that the modeler could have many build options. The DH9 could be promoted as a separate kit. Also consider revamping the Sopwith Pup. The only other one available is by HR model and is out of production. Finally as a new product consider developing a Royal Aircraft Factory FE2b/d. 1900 of these were produced during WW1 and yet no model exists. All of these are well known WW1 British aircraft. The BE2c that Airfix developed is a great model. There is little to no market competition for these projects at this time.

Given I am pursuing a WWI project at the moment, I agree with James.

The good part about his argument, for me, is that he has highlighted the potential for numerous sales based on minor structural variations and numerous markings options. This is a current business plan for companies such as KP. Airfix do follow this plan but could do more.

As well as the KP kit, Clear Prop also do a DH9A kit. This is a bit more expensive, but more sophisticated than the KP kit. KP do tend to do their kits in short runs, but they recycle quite frequently. The Airfix DH4 was always very well regarded, but disappeared off the radar sometime late last century. You'd have to think something is amiss with the tooling for it not to be re-released since then, but given its popularity you'd hope a new tool of the same standard as the BE2c is on the cards some time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...