New Kit Suggestions

Christopher Woodman

• 1 month later...

How about Airfix take the lead and be the first mainstream manufacturer to embrace 3D printing ?

The CAD is always the most time consuming part of 3D printing and the Manufacturers have the resources . How about taking the ancient 1/72 Halifax and instead of retooling it for injection molding (will we ever see one ?) Re-do the CAD with recessed panel lines and refined detail ?

Then have various trusted partners who print out the parts. Very little cost to Airfix (no million pound tools to worry about or produce). Airfix Supply instructions , Decals and Boxes.

It is pie in the sky to think a main stream company will ever sell STL files to the general public as copying would be rife.

Tamiya never will.

Just think of all the classic kits that we may never see again , available as 3D resin, brought up to (beyond) modern detail levels ?

Spare parts , additional parts (Pilots !!!!!! , some of us do inflight !!!!) , the possibilities are endless.

So come on Airfix , make the leap , embrace the biggest advancement to modelling since injection molding .

If nothing else , make b***dy pilots available !!

What do you think ?

• 3 weeks later...

1:35 Multipose

British Infantry Section 1960's North west Europe

British Infantry Section 1960's Tropical

British Infantry 1960's Platoon HQ North West Europe

British Infantry 1960's Platoon HQ Tropical

British Infantry section 1970's North West Europe

British Infantry section 1970's Tropical

British Infantry 1970's Platoon HQ North West Europe

British Infantry 1970's Platoon HQ Tropical

British Infantry Section 1980's North West Europe

British Infantry Section 1980's Tropical

British Infantry 1980's Platoon HQ North West Europe

British Infantry 1980's Platoon HQ Tropical

British Infantry Section 1980's Falkland Islands

British Infantry Platoon HQ 1980's Falkland Islands

British Paratroop Section 1980's Falkland Islands

British Paratroop Platoon HQ 1980's Falkland Islands

British Marines Section 1980's Falkland Islands

British Marines Troop HQ 1980's Falkland Islands

1:35 Multipose
British Infantry Section 1960's North west Europe ...............

I would also like to see the British sets mentioned. It seems slightly optimistic to say the least to have all of them released but I think they would sell. Many Wehrmacht sets are available from other manufacturers so the variety is not unprecedented.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In 1/72 IHMO there is milage in 1 a new tool Westland Whirlwind Fighter

2 a new tool Locheed Junior as used by Sidney Cotton on pre war spy flights

3 A new tool Halifax

4 new tool Blackburn Roc and Skua

5 a new tool DH Hornet

6 a new tool Hampden

Thank you for asking

Simon

1:35

AW159 Wildcat Royal Navy

AW159 Wildcat Army Air Corps/Commando Brigade Air Sqn

Lynx AH 1/7 Army Air Corps/Commando Brigade Air Sqn

Scout AH 1 Army Air Corps/Commando Brigade Air Sqn

Multipose

British Infantry Section North West Europe 1960's/1970's/1980's

British Infantry Section Tropical 1960's/70's/80's

Royal Marines Arctic Warfare 1960's/1970's/1980's

Supplementry Equipment packs 1960's/70's/80's

(Head Dress, section support weapons 84mm Carl Gustav, 2inch Mortar, L4 LMG, L42A1 Sniper Rifle, Browning Pistol, Radio's, Packs/Bergans, webbing pouches, digging tools)

81mm Mortar detachment equipment (Mortar, Ammunition, Ammo containers, Boxes for sights, Aiming posts body parts for multipose figures)

Milan Section Equipment (Milan System, Missile tubes, Body Parts for figures or crew in action))

GPMG SF section Equipment (GPMG SF, tripod, sights, aiming posts, ammo belts, Ammo boxes, Equipment bags and sight boxes Body parts for mulitopse figures or crew in action)

Shorts Blowpipe Detachment Equipment (Blowpipe Aimer unit, Aimer unit field handling container, Missile Cannisters, Missile Field handling containers, Crew for shoulder launch or parts for Multipose fugures)

Shorts Javelin Detachment Equipment (Javelin Aimer unit, Aimer unit field handling container, Missile Cannisters, Missile Field handling containers, Crew for shoulder launch or parts for Multipose fugures)

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Taming_of_the_sprue said:

I'd love to see an Airfix 1/48 Hampden sitting alongside my Airfix 1/48 Blenheim and Airfix 1/48 Anson

I'd agree with that. 

Thinking too the DH Dragon Rapide or DH 88 Coment in 1/48 would be nice additions. Plenty of Rapide schemes too.

A 1/48 Gladiator could be a great option based on 1/72 kit upscale too.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d love to see Airfix finally release a P-47. These provided key strategic USAAF Bomber support prior to the Mustang’s arrival.

I’ve just built Academy’s 1:72 P-47 “Razerback” and it was an amazing little kit to build. With Airfix’s historic relationship with Academy may be they could team up on this and we’d have another aircraft option to build 🤞😊

IMG_0642.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was reading my copy of Airfix Celebrating 50 years of the greatest plastic kits in the world by Arthur Ward, boy have we come along way since 1953, I wonder how many of the molding tools are still left. 

I have a few classics I would like to see updated and re-released 

I/72 RAF Recovery set plus RAF Emergency set with figures

1/72 WW1 Dog Fight doubles R.E.8 v Roland C11, Bristol Fighter v Fokker Triplane, Camel v Albatros

1/72 Junkers JU 52

172 C130 Hercules Transport

1/72 Short Sunderland Flying Boat

The Recovery and Emergeny sets are in 1:76, and the Austin K 6 is an unusul postwar version, see it on the civil number plate.

So we would like to have a new Emergeny set with a Ford WOT 3 fire engine and for the Recovery set would be nice to have a Commer Q 2 and a light Coles crane.

Matthias 

aka modelldoc

34 minutes ago, Matthias Muth said:

So we would like to have a new Emergeny set with a Ford WOT 3 fire engine and for the Recovery set would be nice to have a Commer Q 2 and a light Coles crane.

in 1/72 too

The RAF Emergency set was first issued in 1969. the Refueling set was first issued in 1970, the Recovery set was first issued  in 1972 all in 1;72 scale., I still have some poorly made versions I made in the 1970's of the recovery and refueling sets, may dig them out of storage to see if a paint job will improve them, some bits may need re-glueing. 

Right, all "old" vehicles are in 1:76, Airfix gave them the wrong scale 1:72 for a while, because this scale is better for the continent.

The new kit, like the Willys or the RAF / USAAF sets are in 1:72.

Matthias

aka modelldoc

On 02/04/2024 at 19:35, Tour de Airfix said:

After yesterday's April Fool post ... we really must have the paper plane. I'd love to have this on my desk! 😀

image.thumb.jpeg.39e62111d529b36e7f2781f01c3ebca9.jpeg

Well...... we had a paper plane sculpture outside our international (for international read only)..... airport.    So you could build the paper plane as a model of that!  🙂

a6ed6038c1f92e26e1b49936f88872502ac1da32-1452420555-56922dcb-360x251.jpg

• Like 1