The Changing Face of Thomas

I'm trying to find out more information about the Thomas trains - the changing face of Hornby Thomas the Tank Engine to be specific. I've read the fantastic blog post on here but there was just a mention of one 1985 face that needed to change. Looking into Variety of faces, there seems to be another early face, different to the 1985 one which portrayed Thomas with a hideous smile and huge eyes. Does anyone know when this one was released and anything about its history? Thank you! 

• 4 weeks later...

Matt, there's actually been twelve (yes, TWELVE!) different versions of Thomas since his release in 1985. I'm not sure how to best describe his different faces and small livery changes but I'll try!

- Pre-production version with rounded cabs, short chimney and grey 'clown' face. (Red bunker lining.)

- First public version with grey 'clown' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was the same as the pre-production version but with the squarer cab and taller chimney that we're now used to.

- Second version with grey 'flat' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was Hornby's second attempt at getting Thomas's face to look right, but still wasn't very good in my opinion...

- Third version with grey 'cheeky' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was a step in the right direction but still not perfect.

- Fourth version with grey 'standard' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was the beginning of the use of the longest running design of face Hornby used over the years.

- Fifth version with white 'standard' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was identical to the fourth version except the face was white instead of grey.

- Sixth version with white 'standard' face. (No bunker lining.) This was identical to the fifth version but with the red bunker lining removed to match Thomas's current (at the time) television appearance.

- Seventh version with beige 'standard' face. (No bunker lining.) This was identical to the sixth version except the face was beige instead of white. In my opinion this was the best face Hornby have ever done for Thomas himself.

- Eighth version with 'puffed out' face. (No bunker lining.) This was a limited edition for Model Zone.

- Ninth version with 'puffed out' face and mud splatterings. (No bunker lining.) This was from the Thomas & The Great Discovery set and came with a mud-splattered Annie & Clarabel, a weathered red open wagon with brick load and a weathered blue open wagon with wood load.

- Tenth version with 'CGI' face and white running board. (No bunker lining.) This is the CURRENT Thomas in the Hornby range, and his shade of blue is considerably lighter than it has been in previous years.

- Eleventh version with 'CGI' face, white running board and metallic blue paint. (No bunker lining.) This was a limited edtion model from Hornby recently, and very nice it is too!

It should also be noted that Thomas's shade of blue has varied over the years too, from being a bit turquoisy on some early models to the beautiful sky blue that he is now, and a lot darker on models in between!

Hope this is of some help!

It should also be noted that Thomas's shade of blue has varied over the years too, from being a bit turquoisy on some early models to the beautiful sky blue that he is now, and a lot darker on models in between!

Not to mention his wheel configuration, which at one point had Thomas as an 0-4-0!  😮

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone post some pics of all the different "faces" ?

Be great to see them all. 

Actually did a comparison shot of some different versions of Thomas this morning before reading your post.  There is yet another version with a non-working headlamp with the pale grey (almost white) footplate.  Will be publishing them at some point soon but am rather busy on other things at the moment but keep your eye's peeled.

Would like to get my hands on some more face mouldings, anyone with any info (other than scrapboxes) would be helpful.

Actually did a comparison shot of some different versions of Thomas this morning before reading your post.  There is yet another version with a non-working headlamp with the pale grey (almost white) footplate.  Will be publishing them at some point soon but am rather busy on other things at the moment but keep your eye's peeled.

Would like to get my hands on some more face mouldings, anyone with any info (other than scrapboxes) would be helpful.

Just noticed the new version with the headlamp, looks like its from the 2016 sets. Be great to see sme pics.

Different faces I have, top row, 1999,2001,2005,2006, 2008 (modelzone),2008 (great discovery set).

Bottom row, 2009,2011,2012,2015 (metalic),2015, 2016 (version with front lamp).

All have lining on bunkers,Perhaps the other variations are pre 1999.I do have some 0-4-0 clockwork and electric.Will /media/tinymce_upload/ed8304a9edf72098bb1c3ce9205b02a1.JPGupload tomorrow.

Pictures of vartious small thomas locos, 4 wheel, 6 wheel, push along, clockwork and electric./media/tinymce_upload/b78c4c8d2b5d3647a23dd804e099d7b9.JPGTop row,1988 push along, clockwork 1997,/media/tinymce_upload/b4f01bd2823959c35e59e18c2447a34f.JPG

electric 1997,clockwork,1997.Bottom row  no year 4 wheel, no year 6 wheel, 1998 4 wheel ,1999 6 wheel, 2001 6 wheel.all bottom row claockwork.It can be seen that the electric version has a wider body.2nd picture shows different chassis, wheel configuration.

The pre-production metallic Thomas on display at Warley 2015 had (if I recall correctly) did not have the grey finish on the footplate, do have a picture of it somewhere but it may be poor.

Anyone know where I can get some more Thomas face mouldings, prefer decorated ones.  They fit several other Hornby models.

Pics to show various Percy I have found.Ist.picture. top row 1984 clockwork, (all rest electric except 1998). 1986, 1997,1998 and 1999, btm. row. 2004, 2006, 2011,2015 and 2016. 2 Oher pic shows different whistles on top of boilers,/media/tinymce_upload/b699d55fbf83ec727d24022ab6cc29a3.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/1b693e4b9865773fc3c9aeb3706afefc.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/749adaace26ef86569ee23711522efd9.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/ffc88efda86e33ecc9ac2aedfc51a6cd.JPG colours and grey running boards on 2015 and 2016. different chassis,painted and unpainted cab rear windows.

New pics to show all difffernt faces in Hornby Thomas range.A full house I think.

Top Row, Bill,Dart,Percy, Stepney,Oliver, Bertie, Ben.

Middle Row, Edward, Diesel, Scotsman, Gordon, Henry, Spence,Murdoch,Diesel D7101.

Bottom Row, Thomas, Emily,James, Duck, Devious Diesel, Arry, Bert, Toby./media/tinymce_upload/7b959407d2959108f073baa4789aea34.JPG

Different faces I have, top row, 1999,2001,2005,2006, 2008 (modelzone),2008 (great discovery set).

Bottom row, 2009,2011,2012,2015 (metalic),2015, 2016 (version with front lamp).

All have lining on bunkers,Perhaps the other variations are pre 1999.I do have some 0-4-0 clockwork and electric.Will /media/tinymce_upload/ed8304a9edf72098bb1c3ce9205b02a1.JPGupload tomorrow.

Hi, Found another different face, Flat English face with bunker lining, could be version 2 , 3 or 4./media/tinymce_upload/3b21800d842ed23dae4e30d6a2319f2d.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/b697ef5b96ec0e6c51e44a4c0af1dd6b.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/ea16ea564004443733a365cb1dc48a8b.JPG

Good to see all the variations.

I think there is a crying need for a comprehensive database of the Thomas and Friends collections - but put together by someone who obviously knows a lot more about the range than I do which is zilch.

What a useful reference document that would be.

Can anybody tell me, if the new 2016 Thomas with the headlight, has a working headlight, with a light?

I am going to buy one next week and I want to prepare myslef for what I am getting!

PS new lad on block, nice collection of Thomas' and the other 21 Loco's! I never knew Hornby have created so many Thomas'! The Thomas I really want is the 500th Edition ModelZone Exclusive. Has anybody got one they would consider selling, not for a ridculous amount of money, plus is in good condition, with no damage, is a good runner and is boxed?

The newest Thomas has a non functioning dummy light on the R/H front. The Modelzone 500th Thomas....is that the "Rosy Cheek" version? There was 2 versions of this, one pristine, the other with dirt splatterings. There is a dirt spattered version on ebay 

eBay item number:252719478604

Thank you for responding to my post, petespops. Do you own the 2016 Hornby Thomas, then? What do you mean by "R/H"?

The ModelZone 500th Edition Thomas is the one with the rosy-cheeked face, with the pristine body. The rosy cheeked Thomas with the same rosy cheeked face, but with a muddy body, is from R9260 Thomas & The Great Discovery Train Set. I am looking for the ModelZone 500th Edition.

Thank you for answering my original question.

I wish I bought that Thomas from ModelZone, in 2009. I remember seeing it for sale on their website for around £35.00. I should have bought one. I kick myself now-a-days for not getting it. Mind you, £35.00 was a lot of money fonose back then, but now £35.00 is like £10.00 for me back in 2009. I doubt I will get one toy only 500 produced on the first place and collectors owning them all.

It's the same story with the Red Tidmouth Milk Tanker too. It looks like I will never get any of these either, despite I want three of them, to go with my collection of three of every Thomas & Friends Wagon (Ex-cluding Troublesome Trucks, Brake Van's, the Ice-Cream Train and the Circus Train. These wagons I only get one of each of them.).

Thank you for responding to my post, petespops. Do you own the 2016 Hornby Thomas, then? What do you mean by "R/H"?

The ModelZone 500th Edition Thomas is the one with the rosy-cheeked face, with the pristine body. The rosy cheeked Thomas with the same rosy cheeked face, but with a muddy body, is from R9260 Thomas & The Great Discovery Train Set. I am looking for the ModelZone 500th Edition.

Archived