Oil drum colour, RAF WW2

stevestrat

My next build is going to be the 1/24 Typhoon and I'm thinking forward to a diorama to display it. I see it in the corner of a hangar under maintenance to show the engine detail. I picked up a couple of large oil drums as "set dressing" but its proving difficult to determine what colour they should be and what info was on them. Anybody point me in the right direction?

I had a quick flick through "The Battle Of Britain", the ones at the French airfield at the start are the only ones I saw, standard olive drab. Not sure if those used at airfields in the UK would be the same.

Never thought of going straight to the horse's mouth, I'll try the RAF Museum. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had a quick flick through "The Battle Of Britain", the ones at the French airfield at the start are the only ones I saw, standard olive drab. Not sure if those used at airfields in the UK would be the same.

I wouldn't rely on fictional film footage. "The Battle Of Britain" didn't even have the correct aircraft!

I wouldn't rely on fictional film footage. "The Battle Of Britain" didn't even have the correct aircraft!

Sure, particularly the Casa IIIs and Hispanoschmitts, but show me (1960s or later) a flying Heinkel III, or a staffel of Bf 109Es! ;-)

By the time of the Banff and Dallachy strike wings there were no Blue-grey vehicles in the RAF- in fact by 1941 ALL RAF vehicles were camouflaged to one scheme or another- All field force (i.e. deployable units- fighter and army cooperation sqns, generally)  were camouflaged on the outbreak of war, and vehicles on operational stations shortly after. The only vehicles that weren't were vehicles allocated to very senior officers or air council members- and those were generally black.

Blue-grey only returned to the RAF in 1946, and even then wasn't common until 1949.

As for oil drum colours, it depended what was in them and which company supplied them...

In the UK petrol was supplied bulk, using MoS tankers (some stations were supplied by rail), in Europe after D-Day the majority of aviation fuel for the RAF was transported in 50gal drums, painted either Olive Drab; for US originating supply, or SCC2 Brown for UK originating supply- they would'nt have been stored near the aircraft for obvious fire risk reasons.

For oil: In the UK, it was supplied direct from the manufacturer, so although it was generally in black drums with a coloured band( colour depending on the company) and the type of oil in large, white letters, and smaller letters for the contract, batch and issue numbers, you could potentially get coloured drums, with lettering in a contrasting colour. In Europe, same colour as petrol, but with 'OIL' and the spec and type in large letters.

I reckon you could get away with black with white lettering... I don't think there would be any rust though, oil stains for sure, but not rust, not inside the hanger anyway- generally any rusty drums would be scrapped or recycled (can't rely on the seams being secure, see).

You could have a waste oil container, which would be revoltingly oily.

...or you could have 1/2 drums cut open and on a cradle for parts cleaning and similar.

As for oil drum colours, it depended what was in them and which company supplied them...

In the UK petrol was supplied bulk, using MoS tankers (some stations were supplied by rail), in Europe after D-Day the majority of aviation fuel for the RAF was transported in 50gal drums, painted either Olive Drab; for US originating supply, or SCC2 Brown for UK originating supply- they would'nt have been stored near the aircraft for obvious fire risk reasons.

For oil: In the UK, it was supplied direct from the manufacturer, so although it was generally in black drums with a coloured band( colour depending on the company) and the type of oil in large, white letters, and smaller letters for the contract, batch and issue numbers, you could potentially get coloured drums, with lettering in a contrasting colour. In Europe, same colour as petrol, but with 'OIL' and the spec and type in large letters.

I reckon you could get away with black with white lettering... I don't think there would be any rust though, oil stains for sure, but not rust, not inside the hanger anyway- generally any rusty drums would be scrapped or recycled (can't rely on the seams being secure, see).

You could have a waste oil container, which would be revoltingly oily.

...or you could have 1/2 drums cut open and on a cradle for parts cleaning and similar.

After a long family discussion my brother suggested the following:  that on an airfield any large quantities of fuel would have been moved by bowser and not stored in a hangar.  Smaller quantities would have been easily carried by hand in petrol or jerry cans.  The petrol cans were  square and held, if I remember correctly what my brother said, 2 or 4 gallons (Don't quote me on the amount, the red wine was flowing~!).   There are lots of pictures of these on Google.  The German style jerry can was also used.    The problem with the large drums was that they were very heavy to move  and would have needed a pump attached to the drum to get the fuel into the aircraft:   So aircraft, in the absence of a bowser, were refuelled from cans, by hand, using a funnel.  A small fighter could be refuelled and rearmed in twenty minutes using this method. 

If I refer you to my original post, the intention is to display the model bring serviced (100 hour check or what ever) in the corner of a hangar, not on the apron. The drum is intended to be lubricating oil, not fuel and I suspect the colour will be black but its any banding and markings that will make or break it.

Au Contraire:

In the backround, you can see Marauders from 2 Group, 2 TAF, so that would be an airstrip in Holland.

Interesting photo that, I wonder what the Health and Safety people would think if I stored drums like that at my place of work (Heathrow) or anywhere else around the world for that matter.

Au Contraire:

In the backround, you can see Marauders from 2 Group, 2 TAF, so that would be an airstrip in Holland.

Interesting photo that, I wonder what the Health and Safety people would think if I stored drums like that at my place of work (Heathrow) or anywhere else around the world for that matter.

Elvin safety not actually invented in the 1940s? 😆

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, you may well be right on the Boston... still unsure on the aircraft to the right. But as the chap in the foreground, doing the security and safety check is most definately RAF- I would say it would have to be a British administered airstrip. 

I know the RAF didn't operate Invaders, preferring the faster, cheaper and heavier bombload Mosquito by then. So I suspect it would be one of the joint airstrips in Holland- without getting out my ref books, I can't remember their numbers and locations...

...We're also getting a bit off-thread now- given that the OP was about oil drums.

Archived