DC to DCC that is the question?

Bigskybirds

HFM, do you mean enable or disable?  You can of course disable it by subtracting 4 from the value of CV29 in each decoder, after which DC Runaway is simply not possible.  And it can't cause erratic running of your locos either, so not sure what you have going on there.  Then if you were to continue with DCC, checking out your track for causes of shorts leading to the runaways in the first place, using electrofrogs with switched frog, bus terminators etc.  Changing from a DC layout to a best practice DCC is not just a matter of swapping controllers, and not just a matter of bridging isolated track sections either.

Then if you really want direct control of many locos at once, there's more than one option for doing it.  There's Elite with 2, up to 7 Selects as walkabouts, or RM plus handhelds, or a combination.

But if you are already set up with an extensive and well designed DC layout, I agree DCC benefits are not huge, unless there are advantages in being able to control individual trains not just in layout sections within your design.

Starting from scratch, another matter entirely.  You can have more flexible design of your layout for a start as you don't have to keep your trains in separate sections to control them independently, and you can set up for good DCC operation with less extensive wiring than for DC.

Then if you are going to have control over a lot of points, signals and accessories, you can do it from within one controller with DCC whereas you need a separate circuit for each on DC.  And just as you have to find the correct circuit to operate your point on DC, you have to address it in your DCC controller to operate it, not much different I'd suggest.  Once you go big and complicated, both systems are a challenge with a lot of discipline required to keep either under control.  However, DCC via computer control now has some real advantages with the ability to automate a whole heap of stuff that might be difficult to do manually. 

For me, having started this time around with DCC, I wouldn't consider DC.  Then I also wouldn't try to convince an experienced DC operator to change either.  Whatever floats your boat, or gets your trains out on the track.

@Fishmanoz

I was setting CV29 to enable DC running in the hope it would save me having to manually remove the decoders but DC running was not smooth. 

My layout was built for DC and the points are switched from a console. You are correct that trying to change a prebuilt DC system to DCC has given me no real benefit which is the only reason I have decided to go back to DC. I have nothing against DCC but the cost and time to convert 150 locomotives was not worthwhile for me. 

As for runaways, I no longer need to worry about that.  😀

That sounds like a sensible decision to me HFM. Converting your fleet to DCC would be a huge and very costly exercise. As you say your layout is already set up for DC and unless you need sound and other such functions there is no advantage I can see in converting other than being able to run more than one loco on the same bit of track.

Rob

There are other DCC advantages like slow speed running because the motor always has full voltage excursion on it, adjustable accel and decel, and even more exotic setup of speed with custom speed curves, to name a few.  Still not worth the conversion on a large ready-built for DC system.

DCC can run-away...if the loco has not got a decoder that checks for a DCC signal every now and then, it can just keep on running !

Sarah. How can it keep on running if you cut the power?

Hi Norman...

I think that the "Red Button" Emergency Stop" may only send out "STOP" signals to all locos?

I would have to do a test to confirm if the Red Button actually cuts off the track power....

As to DC enabled DCC decoders....I can see how that may cause problems with high speed running away!

However, at the moment the locos I am converting have to be able to run on DC for now...I have not had any real problems running on DC with decoder fitted locos...

I have had more problems caused by the Hornby Select not being able to run some Decoders, which are fine when run with the basic Fleischmann Lok Boss (?spelling...) (a lovely controller, just limited to running locos coded as 1, 2, 3, and 4...)

The Hornby select it seems is not 100 percent NMRA compliant....

Also, some used decoders need DC running re-enabled, as they are not running under DC.....CV editing to come! 😉

Depends on your system and whether you are modern image or not.  Apart from different noises there is not much to see with steam locos and you really need to have visible steam and smoke to create atmosphere.  With diesel and electric locos however, sound is (almost) everything - apart that is from different light settings and, in my case, pantographs that can be raised and lowered with appropriate sound effects. Some of my locos also have have spark effects under heavy braking and automatic wheel squeal round sharp bends at slow speed.  

As you may realise, I model HO European.  British outline models still have along way to go to catch up on HO manufacturers including such basics as close coupling mechanisms which have been the norm in Europe for at least 20 years.

DCC has the immense benefit that you can bring a second or more trains/locos into a platform/engine shed under independent control without the need for isolating switches.  

For a really good, easy to use DCC system, try the Roco Z21 where the control is by i-Pad or other tablet.  21 functions and a host of locos are no bother to control - and there is a panic button!

Finally, I have wired the layout such that I have the option of switching any part of my layout to DC for those locos which are so old and venerable, I have no wish to try to convert them to DCC.  

Archived