Track cleaning is a minefield

Country joe

As my photo still has not appeared, I assume the gremlin has eaten it!

If it works this time, this is the bottom view of my hardboard track-polisher, and if you look, you can see the parallel stripes of muck.

The board is free-floating on the two countersunk screws, which pass through the old triang carriage floor, and have a couple of chunky washers and nuts on t'other end to give it a bit of mass. (The two screws merely stop the board from rotating).

One day I might replace those horrible plastic wheels, but as they are of the style where the axle end protrudes though the bogey side, I'd need to find some way of sticking those little brass cones into the hole first!

/media/tinymce_upload/ab32662abb6e16615d308ba3fd415ae7.JPG

If the missing pic turns up now, would someone kindly remove one - thanks.

Mine does, too - two bits of board, stuck shiny faces together by  a couple of dots of silicon glue. Ease an edge in between and one 'pings' off the other.  It takes longer to cut a scrap of wood up to fit, on my  modeller's jigsaw!  😛

Now - if you put this contraption together with my self-powered radio-controlled T66 diesel, I can clean the track without having to power up and wonder if a loco will make it round the first couple of times without stalling on muck! (Cat's bootprints, spare fur, yesterday's midnight snack, etc!)

It will also find a home on my garden railway, if I ever build it - no concerns about leaking volts after a rain-shower or real leaves on the line!

The term 'mine' seems to cover a rather broad range of weapons. 

Some of us may think of the large globular metal things that have spiky horns, nowadays sometimes hollow and seen painted red on a sea front plinth with a slot for donations to a Merchant Seaman's charity. These were 'sown' in the sea from ships and aircraft as a hazard to shipping, some were activated by contact, others by magnetic influence or sound waves, which exploded to damage and sink shipping. However there are also the nasty anti personnel devices buried under the soil intended to blow the legs of any unfortunate person who stepped on it.

During the Blitz the Nazis also dropped 'mines'. from aircraft on to London and other towns. Some were fitted with parachutes and delayed action fuses to prove as difficult and dangerous as possible.

I do not know the proper military definition of a 'mine' but it appears to be any explosive device concealed to cause as much damage and difficulty as possible. Does anyone actually know?

Yes WTD, thanks, that makes sense. Weren't there military personnel once called 'Sappers and Miners' some time back? Does this relate to the more common defiition of a 'Miner', someone who digs holes underground? It is quite a confusing topic.

They use miners in WW1 to dig under the enemy to plant explosives. Trouble is the enemy did the same. Sometimes they could hear each other passing by. Officially a sapper is a soldier who lays, detects or disarms mines but became the common name for a Royal Engineer. 

Going back to mines dropped from aircraft, they were usually attached to a parachute otherwise they were likely to detonate when hitting the ground, then it would be a bomb. 

Yes WTD, thanks, that makes sense. Weren't there military personnel once called 'Sappers and Miners' some time back? Does this relate to the more common defiition of a 'Miner', someone who digs holes underground? It is quite a confusing topic.

The original Sappers and miners were the ones who dug tunnels underneath Fortress Walls and laid explosives so they would collape enabling the troops to fight their way through the gaps.

... the only menace on the other side of the door that I never encountered ...

A long time ago when I was bewtween the ages of 13 and 16, I had a paper round.  One particular letterbox was down near the bottom of the door and every morning when I tried to push the paper through, a dog would grab it from the other side and pull it quickly through.  Eventually, I got fed up with this, so I decided to hang onto the paper.  I could hear it being destroyed on the other side of the door, until I eventually let go and went on my way.

It never happened again!

• 2 years later...

Yep, I know and put my post in before reading them all and India Pale Ale was previously mentioned. Never had much trouble with NS track and metal wheels but plastic wheels seem to attract muck and deposit it for some reason. I fitted 3 Triang Trestrols with metal wheels a few years back to make sure that that problem was kept at bay.