Airfix Queen Elizabeth

Sailorman

{meanwhile, back at hull 552}  😉

Looking at those davits and thwarts makes my eyes hurt!!

Also, I see what you mean about Clearfix; it's not going to be for everyone and needs more practice to get started with. The "not water soluble" is actually an advantage I think, because once a port is done it will stay done.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patrick, I'm amazed at what you can do with PE, it scares me a little but I am building myself up to try some but it will be on 1:72nd scale aircraft. And such patience and dedication to detail in drilling out all those portholes etc.

But I am pleased that you are still heralding the 1:600th scale for ships which is my scale when I do ships, I cannot understand why so many people seem to prefer the 1:700th scale when you must loose even more detail!

Keep up the good work and I will continue to follow your builds

Nigel 

Thanks guys,

I've just received the Revell Queen Mary.  It's pretty close to 1:600 but a bit of a disappointment.  I'm sure it will make a decent model out of the box but I'm not sure it's for me.  The hull has the plating expressed and at this scale looks more like armour plating and would do a battleship proud.  (One inch plates at 1:600 would be a third the thickness of a sheet of paper - in other words negligible).  The railings are represented in plastic - which means I would have to remove them and this will affect the decks;  Promenade windows and davits don't appear to match and the lifeboats are not that good.  Might end up scratchbuilding her ......we'll see.  There is something to be said for models that are basically sound but have no frills as they are easier to work with that models that try to do too much at the expense of accuracy.  Here's hoping for more ships at 1:600 from Airfix.

Incidentally I've finished my MV Stockholm scratchbuild. This is her with my Andea Doria - she ship she collided with and sank.

/media/tinymce_upload/15f087c3b283d51f4105241b98327b23.JPG

Revell's 534 (I'm Scottish, I'm from near John Brown's, and know someone who's dining table and sideboard are off-cuts from the fitting out; shoot me for using hull numbers if you dare) was declared as being 1/570 scale, so would be 1.05x larger, say 5%. You could separate the Queens with some other vessels from your collection so it doesn't show like it would with the 534, 552 and 736 yard display models adjacent in Glasgow Riverside Museum.

Beautiful work on the Stockholm and the Andrea Dorea too.

Hi Paws4thot,  I've checked the QM model and it is not 1/570 but much closer to 1/600. Probably something in the order of 1/590 or thereabouts.  In fact the QM model is virtually the same length as the Airfix QE.  THis means that you can't really put them together because the QM in real life was slightly shorter than the QE ....... still after I build the Airfix QE I will probably go back to scratchbuilding another liner .... probably the Bremen ..... so it will be a while before I tackle the QM and I have time to decide which way to go.

• 1 month later...

When i saw "Airfix Queen Elizabeth", my heart raced for a minute thinking that you were referring to the new Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier H.M.S Queen Elizabeth and i thought Airfix pulled a fast one on us.

Fingers crossed...touch wood and the lucky rabbits foot....... Perhaps someday...... 

Someday is so far away though *sobs* 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got back to the build.  Still working on the davits and lifeboats.   Have virtually completed the starboard davits but have run out of etched brass parts for the davits themselves ...... so have just ordered some more.  I've completed 28 of the 56 so there is still a way to go.  In the meantime I am working on the ships boats .....7 out of 28 done so far!  You can see the work in progress in the following pics.  The davits are dry fitted here.

/media/tinymce_upload/abf0e85bb8991c0c4516304cd1f0600e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/b066ad925d8328b206c519813efa3c0c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d8285526e9c5f9089ec0668dd74022a8.jpg

In the picture above you can see how the davits don't line up with the solid sections between the promenade windows.  Once you know about the mismatch it bugs you.  I've blocked up all the windows and will be replacing them with decals.  This will ensure I get the correct spacing.

• 2 weeks later...

Filling / sanding now complete and I have started masking the decks that are textured as timber.  I don't want to lose this detail under coats of white paint when I spray the superstructure.  If I don't mask the decks and airbrush them white at the same time as I am airbrushing the superstructre ........and then paint the decks in their oak colour the detail will disappear.  Masking is therefore vital.   Masking is a laborious process using little bits of Tamiya tape.  To get around the deck detail some bits of tape are just a couple of mm in size.  You can see the stage I've reached in the masking operation, (yellow tape), in the photo below.

Hopefully I will complete the masking soon and airbrush the superstructure white.  I'll be using Humbrol Satin (No 130) for this.  I used to use Matt White but its rough surface always gave me problems when it came to fixing the window decals.

Over the past week or two I also finished fixed the PE thwarts to all the boats and painted their interiors.

In the meantime White Ensign came through and sent me the PE parts I needed for the davits in record time!

Things are moving .... but still a long way to go.

/media/tinymce_upload/495c897066a25150cb6598c54fa74807.jpg

• 1 month later...

Work has been progressing on this build slowly but I'm having problems uploading photos.  Still ......I'm taking photos as I build the ship so in time I'll upload everything. Since the last post I've finished masking the decks, I've airbrushed the superstructure, started painting the decks and applied about 70 home-made window decals.  Funnels have also been airbrushed.  Still a long, long way to go! 

/media/tinymce_upload/217000bb0a06b34041bf9ae091d0d8fe.jpg

You can see some of the decals for the promenage windows and superstructure windows in place.  I've started glazing the portholes in the white section of the hull and am masking the hull so that I can airbrush the black section.

One step forward and two steps back ......

I've just painted one of the black bands on the funnels and hated it.  The plastic card strip I used was a bit too wide and when painted black it looks really bad.  Funnels have been stripped of paint and will have to be repainted.  I think I'll use black decal strip or simply paint them on. These strips look so fine on the real ship!

• 3 weeks later...

Grrrrrrr... I airbrushed the funnels in red again and would you believe it ..... they came out in a horrible shade of red!  It seems I hadn't cleaned my airbrush properly after using it with black paint!  .......another job to be done over again!  I seem t be out of luck with these funnels!

/media/tinymce_upload/d86fbaad51a5892a799cd8d5dbb8ec00.jpg

Uncle Pete .... the reason is that I never found a way to cut the windows.  It's impossible to achieve perfectly square and equal sized openings.  Portholes on the other hand are easy to do.  It's just a question of finding the right sized drill bit.  Also, the window decals are black on white so they really stand out.  Painting the portholes or using decals is not an option.  You'd never get them the same size.  The slight shine of the microscale "glazed" portholes gives a very good overall effect.

Was hoping to get a lot done today but I only ended up getting a half hour working on her  ☹️  I airbrushed the red below the waterline and re-sprayed the funnels.  I also managed to ream out the portholes with a toothpick.  This involves poking each porthole with the end of a toothpick to remove any excess black paint which may have got into them and to make them "round" again.  In many cases the black from the hull does not manage to get inside the portholes leaving the thickness of the plastic white.  Once glazed these portholes are slightly whiter than the hull and give a pleasing effect. You can see them before glazing in the picture below.

/media/tinymce_upload/a7e53b5957d37aa08d33aed2de1a385b.jpg

This is where I am at.  The funnels are not yet glued in place.  I'll finish them off before actually fixing them.

/media/tinymce_upload/c3f2434d2a0e76bc07d495d06e98f827.jpg

The next steps will involve:

Glazing the portholes

Painting the white waterline

Applying the Name to the hull

A coat of Johnsons to the hull side

Black topping to the funnel

Black funnel bands.

I hope to complete these tasks this coming week.