Fliegender Bleistift - The Flying Pencil

Toboldlygo

After a few weeks away from the aircraft kits (working on my OO Gauge Loco Commisions), I decide on which kit to start next - I had a choice of four: Grumman Martlett, Hawker Typhoon (1:24 Scale), Hawker Siddeley Harrier AV8S and Dornier Do17z.

Having been inspired by another modellers thread on the Dornier and having never built one, I decided it was time to build an Axis Powers twin-engined bomber. The last one I built was many years ago and for the life of me I can't remember for certain what it was - though it may of been a Matchbox Junkers Ju188 or Heinkel He111.

I will add the photos later ;)

Great James.  Post pictures showing how your build progresses not just pics of the finished model.

For some reason when I tried to upload photos earlier I kept getting an unable to upload message and yes I had made the photos suitable for web - I use to be a web developer

Looks like it was a problem with the browser, it appears to be ok this morning.

So far so good, reading other forum members entries on this particular model - I took note of the issues and have been able to tweak the build accordingly.

/media/tinymce_upload/7660ed1443c9dcfb537a966744e03eb6.jpg

The only bit of real filling was wing root on one-side

/media/tinymce_upload/ef37f44c2b4253714f3a170f762d9a75.jpg

Hi James

Glsd to see you got the photos sorted out. Did you fill,that wing root withn putty or a strip of thin styrene as it looks very neat? I always include in my research other modellers builds of the same kit as it can save you no-end of head-aches and a saves you re-inventing the wheel.

So far looking good, keep it going.

Remember we do this for fun        John the Pom.

Hi James

Glsd to see you got the photos sorted out. Did you fill,that wing root withn putty or a strip of thin styrene as it looks very neat? I always include in my research other modellers builds of the same kit as it can save you no-end of head-aches and a saves you re-inventing the wheel.

I either fill a gap with a piece of styrene or I use Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty. In this case I used the putty.

I've got a few more bits done - tail empernage fitted, ailerons and flaps, glazing panel on the left hand side of the nose (needs a bit of filling), bomb bay details and tail wheel fairing.

/media/tinymce_upload/8dd45849d47197342bcac8eaa365e13b.jpg

I also airbrushed in the undercarriage and bomb bays.

/media/tinymce_upload/82418671ee86e37db2409fea09674828.jpg

I currently have the engines in the paint shop (along with the guns) - however everything has now ground to a halt until the paints for the colour scheme arrive..

Hi James

I either fill a gap with a piece of styrene or I use Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty. In this case I used the putty.

I also sometimes use Krystal Klear or gap filling superglue in that sort of location, depending on the length and width of the gap.

/media/tinymce_upload/2671b74c2af9b091be3c0bee781e5568.jpg

More work done, now that the correct paints have arrived -

* filling done

* bomb bay and undercarriage temporarily sealed up (using the closed bomb bay, undercarriage up panels and some varnish)

* glazing panels in the center wing area fitted (they will be masked)

* trial fitting of the machine guns and glazing (holes need opening up)

* props painted and spinners partly finished (not finished yet)

Still much to do still before she can enter the paintshop

All masked up and ready for the paintshop

/media/tinymce_upload/25302747f4c918404434eb7ea58bf9eb.jpg

And the underside is painted, the correct shade of blue

/media/tinymce_upload/02ad49d490706e621cc9535903950dda.jpg

Additionally I painted the engine cowlings so they can be masked up at the same time as rest of the plane for the camoflage scheme on the top. Currently the Dornier is in the paintshop having it's wing tips sprayed yellow as per the instructions.

I don't think I've ever used this much masking on a model before....

Underside all masked up - it took ages

/media/tinymce_upload/5fb56fd0b1bc5a3a9fa8f52c77fe6b29.jpg

After a coat of RLM71 (Dark Green to the rest of us) I masked up for some of the camoflage - aside from the tricky center section.

/media/tinymce_upload/8d8065647737c2a585ce480e81d16208.jpg

With those bits airbrushed RLM70 (Black Green), I removed some masking so I could correct mask up the nose and center section - I needed the patience of a saint to do this.

/media/tinymce_upload/ce9e53ba811f73253de3afd2e625d755.jpg

All will be revealed in another post ;)

Hope the paint stays put. Good luck and waiting to see the out-come.

Remember we do this for fun          John the Pom

It did stay put fortunately - Vallejo Model Air is reliable in that regard (I've been using it for a number of years for loco weathering).

Needed to touch things up in a few places, nothing major though and as it stands I'm getting closer to the finish line with this build (though it may be delayed due to the arrival of a customers Loco weathering project)

Ta da... 😎

/media/tinymce_upload/a2ab6a4a5ffaf693b525a40d06852242.jpg

Exhausts and Engines in place, need to do a bit of filing to get the cowlings to slide on nicely - also had to do some tweaks to get the panel(s) that fit round the exhaust to fit properly, but the cowlings are ready for their final trip to paint shop.

The main undercarriage components are all painted and ready for assembly, the bomb bay doors and under carriage doors are part painted, they need to dry thoroughly before masking up to apply the outside colour.

/media/tinymce_upload/e5ec41d59babf2129bfb1151ce634383.jpg

More progress today: undercarriage (including the doors) installed, engine cowlings painted & one installed (other is drying), belly gun and hatch installed)

Busy hand painting the canopies which is the most time consuming part of the job at the moment.

After a brief interlude weathering a Merchant Navy and renumbering and weathering a 42xx (classes of British Steam Locos for those who don't know). I was able to finish the transfers of the DO17 this morning and stick a few more bits on...

/media/tinymce_upload/58d5bb5802b8c2527c12eb8008731434.jpg

Just the tedious task of finishing the painting of the canopy and she'll be done..

Job done, got a few more loco's do and then it's a choice of four... Grumman Martlett, Hawker Typhoon, Harrier Av8S and Harrier T2 (a Swordfish kit)

/media/tinymce_upload/4ba4195a7fe85c5a8893ad329f3a5b6a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/aff7ba2e1dd0ac903dc0e7e40bcb69ad.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/729619ede65ce6e44fbec84ced39f1aa.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/fe19c4031eb9040571709607690fce9e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/71fb47434c5345cbc938b59f6815c25c.jpg

Hi James.

Great build and good little write up on the Do 17. Between you and Heather I'm serioursly looking at having a go with mine, always loved the looks of the Dornies with that high wing, made them stand out from the crowd,

I'll be refering to your build together with Heather's when i do eventually do mine, though doubt I'll dothe straight German camouflage maybe look at something different.

Thank for showing your build and looking forwards to seeing more.

Remember we do this for fun                       John the Pom

Hi James.

Great build and good little write up on the Do 17. Between you and Heather I'm serioursly looking at having a go with mine, always loved the looks of the Dornies with that high wing, made them stand out from the crowd,

I'll be refering to your build together with Heather's when i do eventually do mine, though doubt I'll dothe straight German camouflage maybe look at something different.

Thank for showing your build and looking forwards to seeing more.

Remember we do this for fun                       John the Pom

Googling the Do17z does show up some interesting colour schemes. I'm sure I've seen a desert sand colour scheme too.

In the mean time another kit arrived this morning - a Harrier variant I didn think had been done in 1:72 (till I did an ebay search) the T2/T4Two Seater produced by Sword. I may well build this along-side the AV8S, when I get round to it - I will build the T4N version as I worked on the T8's at Dunsfold.

Archived