quickbuilds-real kits- or just cheap a copy of the Scandinavian brick

Captain Triggers

Airfix made many different products, including toys, dolls, games etc, so this is in line with the past. The Boys' Book of Airfix have many of these products and they are part of Airfix history. The Quick Builds are very near the 4D puzzles from other brands and may be interesting for the younger kids who want to build a model and don't have the tools or the skills to build a convencional kit.

'Hornby should not lable them as airfix, because they are quite simply not.'

Why not though? Airfix actually did make a brick-building system many years ago, Betta Bilda (or something along those lines) which aguably was able to produce more realistic models than the Danish system could at that time.

Either way I think they are a great addition to the Airfix line to encourage the younger, less-confident and/or less dextrous into the hobby. Even  those who aren't able to complete a more convential kit can get good results and that's all that matters I think.

Certainly for younger modellers I think they're a great introduction to the world of modelling, for the less confident and/or dextrous a great boon since they can only help tune fine motor skills which in turn might lead them on to a more recognised plastic kit build.

This QUICK BUILD range is Airfix's version of LEGO. I would say the plastic is a cheaper quality than LEGO, but still works well.

What we must remember everyone, is that the QUICK BUILD range is a construction toy, just like LEGO, but out all of Hornby Hobbies brands, this being Airfix, Corgi, Humbrol, Hornby, Pocher and Scalextric, out of these, the QUICK BUILD range is suited the most in the Airfix brand. None of the other brands are suitable enough. It similar to Airfix and none of the other brands. The QUICK BUILD kits are not proper Airfix kits, I agree and admit that, but the QUICK BUILD kit boxes are clearly marked as QUICK BUILD kit, with the QUICK BUILD logo being printed on everyside of the box, apart from the bottom. So I don't think anybody would buy a QUICK BUILD kit, thinking it is a proper Airfix, when actually it's Airfix's own brand of LEGO.

Creating a new brand called QUICK BUILD would most likely cost to much and be to much work, especilaly when there are only so few products in the rnage anyway, so the QUICK BUILD range in the Airfix brand, as a sub-range is much easier.

This QUICK BUILD range is Airfix's version of LEGO. I would say the plastic is a cheaper quality than LEGO, but still works well.

What we must remember everyone, is that the QUICK BUILD range is a construction toy, just like LEGO, but out all of Hornby Hobbies brands, this being Airfix, Corgi, Humbrol, Hornby, Pocher and Scalextric, out of these, the QUICK BUILD range is suited the most in the Airfix brand. None of the other brands are suitable enough. It similar to Airfix and none of the other brands. The QUICK BUILD kits are not proper Airfix kits, I agree and admit that, but the QUICK BUILD kit boxes are clearly marked as QUICK BUILD kit, with the QUICK BUILD logo being printed on everyside of the box, apart from the bottom. So I don't think anybody would buy a QUICK BUILD kit, thinking it is a proper Airfix, when actually it's Airfix's own brand of LEGO.

Creating a new brand called QUICK BUILD would most likely cost to much and be to much work, especilaly when there are only so few products in the rnage anyway, so the QUICK BUILD range in the Airfix brand, as a sub-range is much easier.

Why not just have quickbuild as a seperate brand though? also, got rid of that black mark on the beetle yet?

I think they're a great idea.  I'm just about to buy a couple for my grandkids - 4-year olds.  Though I am building kit dinosaurs with them they can't yet build them alone.  Can't yet trust them with glue and sharp tools.  I'm sure they can handle the quick builds and the pride they will feel building them ALONE will no doubt spur them on to the starter sets later on.  I see it as a logical step along the way.

@captain triggers

Why have a seperate brand though called QUICK BUILD? It cost Hornby Hobbies money and another thing I have just thought of, isthat without looking at the bottom of the boxes, you won't know it's a Hornby Hobbies product. By putting the QUICK BUILD range in the Airfix brand, people already know it's a Hornby Hobbies product and something they can trust and not a con look-a-like LEGO product, that you can easily buy on eBay, etc.

No, I haven't got rid of the black mark on the Beetle yet.

@Patrick Camilleri

You are right, Patrick Camilleri. The Airfix QUICK BUILD range is a good idea. Cars and (Aircrafts too) scale toy construction models are good fun to build and to collect. My love for cars have forced me to the car models.

Something I would love Airfix to do, is to start producing figures, that sit in the vehicles. This would make them in even better.

@captain triggers

Why have a seperate brand though called QUICK BUILD? It cost Hornby Hobbies money and another thing I have just thought of, isthat without looking at the bottom of the boxes, you won't know it's a Hornby Hobbies product. By putting the QUICK BUILD range in the Airfix brand, people already know it's a Hornby Hobbies product and something they can trust and not a con look-a-like LEGO product, that you can easily buy on eBay, etc.

No, I haven't got rid of the black mark on the Beetle yet.

@Patrick Camilleri

You are right, Patrick Camilleri. The Airfix QUICK BUILD range is a good idea. Cars and (Aircrafts too) scale toy construction models are good fun to build and to collect. My love for cars have forced me to the car models.

Something I would love Airfix to do, is to start producing figures, that sit in the vehicles. This would make them in even better.

bummer, maybe gently use a nail file to sand it off and smooth it out again-only option unfortunately. 

If the dirt was mixed with the hot plastic in the moulding process, there is nothing you can do to remove it. Using a nail file can damage the surface and lead to a bigger problem. Just try with your finger nails and water and don't use anything you cannot test before in a inner surface, where damages cannot be seen.

I would look at Hobbyboss 1/72 WW2 fighters as a better alternative to introduce a kid into the hobby. You get a more realistic finish even if they don't paint it. Remembering what I was like as a kid, even though I would slap them together quickly and play with them I still wanted something that looked "serious". The Airfix quick builds don't provide this.

'But kids can build airfix kits, what about the 1950s kids-I built my first proper kit aged 5, pre quickbuild but during the hi-tec era.'

Not sure I'd entirely agree. You might have been more dextrous and able than so many others; looking back I don't think I'd have been able to have coped with an Airfix kit, even if it would have been 'hi tech' at that time. I certainly loved playing with Lego.

'But kids can build airfix kits, what about the 1950s kids-I built my first proper kit aged 5, pre quickbuild but during the hi-tec era.'

Not sure I'd entirely agree. You might have been more dextrous and able than so many others; looking back I don't think I'd have been able to have coped with an Airfix kit, even if it would have been 'hi tech' at that time. I certainly loved playing with Lego.

well, with some help-lego too was a favourite. more so than with airfix

But kids can build airfix kits, what about the 1950s kids-I built my first proper kit aged 5, pre quickbuild but during the hi-tec era.

You have a fair point there mate, but it deoends on what you want at the time, whether you want a LEGO-like Airfix kit (QUICK BUILD) or a 'proper' Airfix kit.

I have loved LEGO all my life. I am starting to go off it a but now, being in my 20's, but I do still like it.

LEGO sells for a lot of money eBay, apprantely. It sells for more than gold would on eBay, so that tells you it's self how popular LEGO is.

• 4 months later...

The Lego element is a means to an end. My granddaughter aged two and a half who not only has an obsession with cars but has always been fascinated with all things mechanical adored the beetle kit and with guidance and just a little help managed to build the kit. The genuine look of satisfaction on her face when she finished it was in keeping with proper model building and nothing like her attitude when ”playing “ with Lego. She has since moved on to the McLaren and Spitfire and is now hooked on Airfix hopefully for a long time. Isn’t this the aim? And doesn’t this benefit all of us in the end? And made in England!  I must admit I was sceptical at first but the proof of the pudding and all that. Interestingly she is not tempted  by the Revell offering as it does not look real and looks like a toy car. I say well done Airfix!

^^^This! What a great post. One of our L & C members put one of the Beetle kits on our show table the other year and mixed with other car kits it was difficult to tell the difference. The car kits work very well, the aircraft less so, but still impressive and if it gets new blood into the hobby there's little to complain about.

Archived