ELECTROTREN N GAUGE 0-4--0 WITH SMOKE

I remember in the 1980s contacting Electrotren in spain when they did a tiny 0-4-0 steam loco in n gauge with a built in smoke unit this worked very well and Electrotren sold the smoke units also as spares so you could fit them to other n gauge steam locos! So is the n gauge 0-4-0 steam loco still manufactured or is this a long lost Electrotren loco?? ☹️

Hi Colin, are you SURE you mean Electrotren - as far as I know Electrotren have never made anything in N gauge. The Spanish maker who at one time were associated with the great Lines Bros group was IBERTREN - Exin-Lines Bros - they made a large range of N scale and also some HO. Their  0-4-0 tank was called Cuckoo -  with smoke unit. This company became bankrupt but has recently re-emerged as a maker of mainly HO scale railcars. I think also they may have a small N scale range. They do have a website.

Hi Colin, are you SURE you mean Electrotren - as far as I know Electrotren have never made anything in N gauge. The Spanish maker who at one time were associated with the great Lines Bros group was IBERTREN - Exin-Lines Bros - they made a large range of N scale and also some HO. Their  0-4-0 tank was called Cuckoo -  with smoke unit. This company became bankrupt but has recently re-emerged as a maker of mainly HO scale railcars. I think also they may have a small N scale range. They do have a website.

No Bill i still have the loco and it still runs as does the Smoke unit its in an Electrotren box not Ibertren as yes they went Bankrupt and have come back under new owners but this is definately Electrotren as ive emailed them to see if they can make this super little loco again but they trouble now is Electrotren N gauge will be Arnold N now Hornby own all this i just hope that Hornby can get this wonderful little 0-4-0 with smoke back into production as its a great little loco on any N gauge layout even if its Spanish!

Colin

I stand by my statement that Electrotren never made N gauge, the loco is obviously in the incorrect box.I have Electrotren catalogues way back into the sixties and there is no mention of N gauge having checked the fact this morning. I also have Ibertren catalogues from the same period which confirm the 0-4-0 Cuckoo in N. Electrotren did make a 2-4-0 tank but this was HO

Hi Colin, 

Do a search for Ibertren Cuckoo and see if it matches your locomotive?

These models were common doner chassis for many 009 white metal body kits and as such plenty found their way to the UK.

You could also search for any Ref: number on the Electrotren box and see what that brings up.

Modern Ibertren appear to be 'dorment' at the moment, so I wouldn't expect a reply if you contacted them nor to they appear to have any new models, HO or N in the pipeline.

I stand by my statement that Electrotren never made N gauge, the loco is obviously in the incorrect box.I have Electrotren catalogues way back into the sixties and there is no mention of N gauge having checked the fact this morning. I also have Ibertren catalogues from the same period which confirm the 0-4-0 Cuckoo in N. Electrotren did make a 2-4-0 tank but this was HO

Bill Electrotren did make this 0-4-0 steam loco wilth smoke as i ordered it direct from Electrotren and its not that Cuckoo 009 loco that IBERTREN had made and i know it was them as ive had confirmation from Electrotren consirning that! Iberten appear to be up the creek again i think they are finished!

Colin

Hi Colin, I think we are both correct. With you saying you remember ordering the loco from Electrotren in the 80's I only checked my catalogue library around that date. I have been through my entire library of their catalogues to 2017 ( many and varied including Spanish issues ) also price lists from their various UK agents Kittle Hobby, MG Sharp, Delta Pacific etc but have found NO trace  of your 0-4-0 loco.I did find much to my complete surprise a couple of Talgo coach sets and a few wagons in N scale but in the early 2000's Judging by what I have seen it would seem their N range did not sell very well. Possibly a reference number for the loco would help. I don't think you will get very far with Hornby re this loco if indeed the tooling still exists as their office in Madrid the previous Electrotren HQ is now closed and the Spanish market is administered directly from Margate.

;

Hi Colin, 

Sorry to question you again, but are you sure its not Ibertren??

I am intrigued and have done a few searches in Spanish and found Cuco Ref: 946 Black and 947 Green both MZA with smoke. There are pictures on Hattons website (but no stock)

http://www.hattons.co.uk/269436/Ibertren_946_LN_CuCo_Steam_Locomotive_with_steam_generator_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

And for sale in Spain.

http://www.todocoleccion.net/trenes-escala-ibertren-n/ibertren-2n-locomotora-946-947-cuco-humo-tres-vagones-mataro-costa-brava-vapor-modeliber-vagon~x45690746

If not these, what is the box number and I'll enquire when I am next in Spain. It may be that Electrotren sold a model they didn't produce (They have done this recently with the ACME model of the TRAXX electric as the Renfe 253) and you have something really unusual.

Colin

If you must use the Blue Arrow to respond to posts, could you please type your reply in the white area at the bottom of the original text (rather than the yellow area), as this makes it far easier to pick out your reply.

Preferably, don't use the Blue Arrow at all and put your replies in the white area that appears at the bottom of all the pages.

Archived