ARC Pro USB Port Communication Protocol specification

RMS DEV

• 1 year later...

Hi David - the conversation above is two years old. At present, the USB port communication protocol has not been released publicly, although the Bluetooth protocol has (and used to produce the Magic app for ARC).

I do know that the Scalextric team are aware of enthusiasts' interest in an ARC Pro to PC wired link-up. I guess any decision will tie in with their long-term plans for the ARC Pro format. With several upgrades to the ARC Pro powerbase and the re-introduction of the big-ticket Platinum set, it looks like their focus has been to ensure the underlying hardware is as reliable as possible and that the ARC Pro sets appeal to newcomers and existing Scalextric digital enthusiasts alike.

If you are an enthusiast - like myself - hoping that others will develop a new PC-based RMS, I think it is probably best to be patient - enjoy and explore ARC Pro as it is for now. If you are an established RMS developer, then I would make that very clear in your email - or give Hornby a call.

I hope that helps.

There have been some personnel changes at Hornby and this time or year is packed with trade fairs making response times a bit slow.

As woodcote says, you can only get the BLE at this point. That may change someday.

I suggest using the form at the right to contact customer care as that might get read more readily than the e-mail address.

• 2 months later...

Hey is there going to be any information for the usb port on the Arc Pro? I'm not sure why this information has been withheld, but it seems it would be much easier for the RMS companies of software for the c7042 would have a clear path to support the Arc Pro if this information was publically available. This would also give new developers an opportunity write to the USB protocol if they do not not see BLE as there protocol of choice. 

Enables an upgrade path for companies that published software for previous Scalextric powerbases (strengthening retention of previous Scalextric customers) .

USB reduces airway congestion

Allows use of a non BLE PC/Mac as a dedicated system for running an Arc Pro system.

Increases value of Arc Pro as a Science Technology Math Engineering platform for education and learning internet of things (where BLE would be problematic in a lab with many BLE devices trying to talk to the few available (dip switch) settings on Arc Pro).

Come on Scalextric. This is so simply. Just publish the simply commands for starting/stoping the Arc Pro, how each car's id is read, how to sense the buttons on the controller etc. If the port is really connected to the circuitry then there must be a command set or protocol that can be published. How can we even tell if you plan on keeping this device in your product mix if you are not able or willing to publish how others can write software for it? Please, help us have faith in the future of the Arc Pro system. 

Guys

Exchanging personal information is against the rules of the forum. I am giving you 24 hours to edit out before we will have to hide the entries.

Since I find the information important I will copy the non-offending text into a new post.

I appreciate what is being attempted here and I really wish the forum could support the efforts better but that is currently not the case.

You may want to check some more independent forums such as slotracer.online where less restrictions apply.

Thank you for your understanding!

Messages from

MIleage712

and

jdnagle

Reposted here with the personal information removed:

@jdnagle

Jeff,

I too work with various groups and use the Arc Pro as an avenue to get them involved in STEaM activities. If you want a program that will work with Windows so you can use a larger display and/or multiple displays hop on the Microsoft App Store and search for Magic Arc App. This app is quite good. I use it in my public racing displays and at home on race night along with the Arc Pro powerbase. 

I do have an interest in the USB protocol as I'd like to get the students to start programming as the next step to their introduction to slot cars. The problem with bluetooth is the limitation to having multiple students with bluetooth turned on the trying to get the one student who needs to connect being able to. 

In the meanstwhile you will find the Magic Arc App will allow you to project to larger screens and have a very readable format for any spectators etc. 

I'll end just by saying I have several sets that have Arc Pro. qty 1 Pro Platinum GT, qty 2 Sunset Speedway, qty 1 24h Lemans and two Arc Pro Expansion sets that come with 2 controllers, a powerpack and Arc Pro powerbase. Yes I like the Arc Pro. I also have the older Platinum six car set and a couple c7042 digital powerbases each with 6 controllers and two power supplies. So yeah I like the Scalextric digital setup. And I really like the Arc Pro with the wireless controllers. If you get an Arc Pro I'm confident you'll enjoy using it with the wireless controllers, and combining it with the Magic Arc App. 

I find this thread very interesting as I am in the market to get a digital powerbase.  I thought the same thing about the USB port and how that could open up a whole new avenue of RM systems.  My intention is to expose teams of kids to slotcar racing as a competitve series of events during the school term and I'd REALLY like a software package that will help me run events smoothly using the ARC Pro.  What I've played with so far is a decent start BUT I have to consider what the kids can see during the race as well as what can be displayed to parents in the bleachers (They love to see their kids perform!).  Ease of use, flexibility and customization are going to be critical longterm(If any developers would like to chat about this let me know).  I can operate on a Windows or Mac platform (prefer Mac) and having the PC option exposes more screen options.  If ARC Pro App is the final choice then I would recommend making the numbers BIGGER so we can see them from a distance.  I'm not a strong developer like some folks here but it sure would be nice to see what they come up with to really make your product even better.  It's time to take this hobby out of the garages and basements and expose it to the next generation (at least here in the states).

I find this thread very interesting as I am in the market to get a digital powerbase.  I thought the same thing about the USB port and how that could open up a whole new avenue of RM systems.  My intention is to expose teams of kids to slotcar racing as a competitve series of events during the school term and I'd REALLY like a software package that will help me run events smoothly using the ARC Pro.  What I've played with so far is a decent start BUT I have to consider what the kids can see during the race as well as what can be displayed to parents in the bleachers (They love to see their kids perform!).  Ease of use, flexibility and customization are going to be critical longterm(If any developers would like to chat about this let me know).  I can operate on a Windows or Mac platform (prefer Mac) and having the PC option exposes more screen options.  If ARC Pro App is the final choice then I would recommend making the numbers BIGGER so we can see them from a distance.  I'm not a strong developer like some folks here but it sure would be nice to see what they come up with to really make your product even better.  It's time to take this hobby out of the garages and basements and expose it to the next generation (at least here in the states)

• 3 months later...

Hi....I trust it is just a short time (and improvement exertion) until we have functiong fast comms between the ARC PRO and our race the executives tablets and workstations. To help with this I am taking a shot at another USB interface which will send C7042-good two-way information bundles to the tablet/PC utilizing 19,200 baud (or faser). This will open up the path for ARC PRO similarity with SSDC (and comparable race the board frameworks). The arranged plan point will require a basic equipment and firmware move up to the ARC PRO.

• 5 months later...