Wow... love all the new cars for 2018

roy_fitzsimmonds

Why can't they do an Mercedes-Benz SL Class (R107 generation)? That would get me to buy a proper plastic kits. I have a massive soft spot, for these cars. I love them. They are beautiful, finely made German coupe / convertible, with the nicest engines I have ever heard.

Besides, the prototyoes for the cars they are releasing at somepoint, this year, do look good.

GNR-Gordon-4

It is. A fried used to have one, an 'A' reg, in black. It was really nice. I miss the car a lot.

Yes, it's a hard top roof, that has to be unbolted by hand. The car comes with the tools. Trouble is, is that unless you a weightlifter, you need about four people to carry it, as the roof is so heavy. It feels like you lifting up the whole car!  😆

It has to be heavy though, so it can protect the people inside, in the event that it flips over in a crash. When you take the hard top roof off, you can't take it with the car. In that has, if you still need to put a roof one, but you are out and the roof is at home, each car has a soft top roof, which folds out from a flap you wind up, from handle, iside of the car, where the back seats are. It folds up nicely under the flap and easy to pull out by hand, whch attaches to the top of the A pillars.

GNR-Gordon-4

@paul-muc

Yes, the W113 generation SL was called 'Pagoda, being built from 1963 - 1971. The blue SL, in an earlier post I made on thie topic, is the generation that follwed the W113. This is the R107 generation, being built from 1972 - 1989. The R107 SL's are my favourite.

Last night when I replied "yes", to captain triggers' question, I was tired and was not thinking what I was typing. Sorry about that, paul-muc and captain triggers.

@captain triggers

Yes, the hard top roof is strong, but not the soft top roof is not strong. I wouldn't want to be in a flip-over crash, with the soft top roof on!  😆

I wonder if the Airfix high-ups ever read these pages? It must require a reasonable and careful analysis of the marketing potential to re-enter a sector like the car model kit one with serious kits, but they have (1) history of decent car kits and (2) a range of the kind of car kits for young people (the ones that go together like Lego) which are surely a stepping stone for those youngster to keep a degree of Airfix loyalty as they grow in talent, interest and spending powe. It might require some co-operative deals with other kit makers to initially flesh out a range of, say, 1:24 car kits, but if Airfix were to focus on making a few subjects that could have international appeal and yet were, say, intrinsically British, they might find that those other kit makers might be interested in licensing the Airfix sprues in their own lines. Let's imagine say something like a Jaguar XJ-13, or a Triumph TR5, or an MGA (in racing Le Mans and Sebring guises as well as road cars), a Morris Minor Traveller, a Jaguar C or D Type, an Austin-Healey 100/4 or an MG RV8...

I wonder if the Airfix high-ups ever read these pages? It must require a reasonable and careful analysis of the marketing potential to re-enter a sector like the car model kit one with serious kits, but they have (1) history of decent car kits and (2) a range of the kind of car kits for young people (the ones that go together like Lego) which are surely a stepping stone for those youngster to keep a degree of Airfix loyalty as they grow in talent, interest and spending powe. It might require some co-operative deals with other kit makers to initially flesh out a range of, say, 1:24 car kits, but if Airfix were to focus on making a few subjects that could have international appeal and yet were, say, intrinsically British, they might find that those other kit makers might be interested in licensing the Airfix sprues in their own lines. Let's imagine say something like a Jaguar XJ-13, or a Triumph TR5, or an MGA (in racing Le Mans and Sebring guises as well as road cars), a Morris Minor Traveller, a Jaguar C or D Type, an Austin-Healey 100/4 or an MG RV8...

Your back!

It might be possible to look at the type of cars that younger car enthusiasts would recognise too - things like the new Aston Martin, the Jaguar F-Type, the latest MINI Cooper S (and I know they do an older generation MINI in 1:32 - which - wow - now comes in yellow). Does anyone make a McLaren? The risk though with doing "the latest" is that after a couple of years or so, what was once "new" becomes "out of fashion", which is why, in my opinion, they'd be safer with the classic cars...

It might be possible to look at the type of cars that younger car enthusiasts would recognise too - things like the new Aston Martin, the Jaguar F-Type, the latest MINI Cooper S (and I know they do an older generation MINI in 1:32 - which - wow - now comes in yellow). Does anyone make a McLaren? The risk though with doing "the latest" is that after a couple of years or so, what was once "new" becomes "out of fashion", which is why, in my opinion, they'd be safer with the classic cars...

....like the classic aircraft 

Archived