1964 Triumph TR4A

Ratch

Thanks very much. The wheels were first sprayed with a gloss black undercoat, then Alclad2 Chrome. I gave the spokes a wash with Games Workshop black ink (thinned with water), and finally painted the tyres matt black. HTH

Nice build! How did you do the wheels?  Building an e type in silver as a racing car but not swapping the wheels.

FWIW whether a racing E-Type (in period, I'm not discussion "historic racing" here) would have the kitted Rudge wires or Dunlop alloys would depend on whether the individual subject was garage/individual perpared (probably Rudge) or a Brown's Lane "works car" (almost certainly Dunlops).

As to painting the Rudges, start with Hu11, and let it dry properly. Now black wash the backplates.

Nice build! How did you do the wheels?  Building an e type in silver as a racing car but not swapping the wheels.

FWIW whether a racing E-Type (in period, I'm not discussion "historic racing" here) would have the kitted Rudge wires or Dunlop alloys would depend on whether the individual subject was garage/individual perpared (probably Rudge) or a Brown's Lane "works car" (almost certainly Dunlops).

As to painting the Rudges, start with Hu11, and let it dry properly. Now black wash the backplates.

Thanks I will do it soon!

• 1 month later...

My wife bought me this one Ratch and I haven't tackled it yet. I will do, when I've created enough room, and have built the aircaft in my stash.

A frend of mine has a really nice TR4A finished in Old English White with a black interior. It's completely original and is still fitted with its factory-fitted steel wheels. For what it's worth, I own a TR6, also in O E White with a black interior (although the interior was red when it came out of the factory). I sorely wish Airfix did a TR6; it's one of a long line of superb Triumph sports cars (some say it's the last of the true TRs) and one of very many beautiful British classics.

Anyway, just as an aside, and (a) if it's not too late, and (b) you feel like doing it of course, paint those sun visors black to match the rest of the interior. That will give it a final touch of authenticity. :-)

(and I'll have to check with a few other folk)

I don't doubt it for one minute Ratch. Owners do a lot of things to their cars and why not? They belong to them after all. Some rebuilt and/or modified TRs (and others) are absolutely stunning, better in fact than they were when they came off the production line in the first place. I've been a member of the TR Register for more years than I care to remember, and know a few people who own them and have rebuilt them. If putting a plastic kit together can be challenging at times, it's nothing compared with rebuilding the real thing! Anyway, as I said, my comment was purely to do with authenticity and only if you felt like doing it.

:-)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...