Insulation Board

Jeff Mennell

Hi Jeff,

I bought a piece of 4x2ft XPS insulation board for a small dock shunter layout I'm making.

It doesn't take screws or tacks very well, so I've had to glue my track down.

All up I'm happy with it and you can carve out rivers and other topography. It's light and easy to move around.

It's also noisier than I would have thought.

But, I really like it.

Kev.

Hi Jeff Mennell 

There is actually a thread on foam construction for base boards on The Hornby Forum I could not find the thread to add a link to this post.

The things I do know it will need suport how much good question My thought is every 12" just like other systems.

It will most definatly need a facia on it to protect the edge of the board you will also need lots of of fast food thickshake straws to push through the base so you can easily run wiring to where ever you need it to be.

You will also have to be carefull that no glue or paint you use eats it that could get interesting real fast.

Pictures and videos are on youtube to be found I would sugest watching them.

The way I see it, it's just another way of doing it with it's own pros and cons reserch is going to be the key thing to get construction done right it will also let you know if cost is going to be a con

regards John

Hi John,

PVA glue is fine with the XPS foam as is Formula 560 Canopy Glue.

Yes, a length of stained timber facia along the edges would look nice and offer some protection against knocks and bumps. 

Mine is 4x2ft and 50mm thick. Very little flexing. I'm going to glue a 2nd sheet (30mm) underneath so I have some depth to create the harbour dockside.

Kev.

My first layout was using 50mm insulation board, but it was fixed to plywood using Copydex. I would never build a layout on insulation board alone.

Using the insulation board on a plywood base was quite effective, it allowed me to carve into the insulation and create a small river and a downhill section with road and houses to a station, the insulation board was also good for adding in layers to build up and carve out hillsides.

But with every item that has benefits there are also disadvantages. If your track is directly on the foiled boards ensure there is no foil in contact with track or any electrics. Also remember if your track is on top of the foiled insulation board point motors fitted below the points will be inside a cut out between the insulation board.

Would I use insulation board again in the future the answer would be yes, but not to put a layout on, not even on a plywood base. If it good for creating hills and is lightweight but that is all I personally would use it for. 

I've used XPS on a plywood frame.  Very light, easy to carve.  I've also used 12mm + 6mm sheets for platforms, especially easy for the curved platform I have.

I too have glued the track to the board, but the one thing I would add to the above comments is that I decided to cut out the area under the points, and recess a piece of plywood to mount the point motors, using the extended bar. This works well, and there really isn't a change in sound over the wooden areas, once the ballast has been applied.

I've also created a round the Christmas tree layout entirely based on XPS, with carved mountains.  It is so light and easy to transport, but, like the other comment, I probably need to frame it in thin ply around the outside.

Archived