1903 Electric Autocar renovated.

Howbi

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

After reading this last evening I contacted a friend who is a member of the owning group.

From 1903-1931 run as built (Petrol/Electric) and then for the next 70 years was a holiday home. While restoration took place it was decided to use a diesel engine {Petrol Engine/Wooden body = health & safety issue)so she is now running as a diesel-electric, as in Class 47, 66 and all UK mainline diesel locos.

I hear that Rails of Sheffield are probably going to produce an rtr model.

For those who are interested she is at the Embasy & Bolton Abbey Railway, which regrettably is a bit far away for me. If you do intend to visit check that she will be out on your chosen date.

What theTV and  Press seem to ignore is that the NER railcar is a petrol electric self propelled vehicle and that there were 'straight' electrics around before 1903, which picked up current from conductors  laid on or above the line.   Apart from Volks, which was narroiw gauge, the City and South London in 1890 and the Liverpool Overhead in 1893 were pioneers of standard gauge electric railways in the UK.. The USA and in Europe there were electrically operated lines well beforew 1900. The North Eastern Railway was itself in the process of electrifying in 1903 and started running on the third rail systems in Tyneside in 1904.

Good grief. I have found the email and just had heart faliure. £199.95 for a coach is a lot of money. This not even a locomotive. It does not move by itself. I should hope it's made of gold dust, or another sort of rare material, at that price.

Why didn't they just price it at £195.00, rather adding the 95p, that's just extra unnecessary money, when it's already a very expensive price.

GNR-Gordon-4

I have the same loco, but the Hornby one. I prefered the look of the Hornby over the Oxford Rail. Why did it get it? The reason is because one of the stories in The Railway Series, featured Adams. he is number 488, he is green and has no face in the book, so it was a good purchase for me to make.

Why did try to sell it?

GNR-Gordon-4

Archived