Hornby equivalent in Germany?

RB51

Evening all,

I'm off to Germany for work in the next week or so (Cologne specifically). 

I was wondering, is there a German equivalent to Hornby over there? Is there value to be had in buying stuff on the continent compared to over here?

I hope this is a valid question for this forum, it's not Hornby related so I put it in Off-Topic.

Thanks, 

George 

The German HO makers include Fleischmann and Marklin. These are not part of the Hornby family but both offer a large range of German outline model trains. European prices tend to be higher than UK prices for equivalent items but the standard of product also tends to be higher.

Arnold which originated in Germany is in the Hornby family, but only produce trains in N gauge, and TT gauge, not in HO. Of the other international brands owned by Hornby Jouef is of French origin, Lima and Rivarossi are of Italian origin and Electrotren is of Spanish origin, and tend to produce trains of those countries.

Hi George, 

If your looking for a souvenir from  to Köln run alongside your Hornby models, pretty much anything in HO scale and DC -Gleichstrom - will work. Pretty much anything manufactured from 1995 on wards should have NEM pockets so coupling compatibility won't be an issue

If you look at the stockists section on this website above and put in Rivarossi - (Hornby's main German outline HO brand) and Germany in the search criteria, you will find model shops in Köln. Any that are listed as stocking Rivarossi - which is a small player in the German market - will also have good stocks of the more mainstream German brands - Fleischmann, Trix, Roco, Piko, Gutzold, Brawa and others. Avoid Marklin, unless you want AC - Trix is the sister company and offer DC versions of the AC Marklin models. Price depends on what you are after, as LC&DR mentions above, the quality can at times appear higher, hence the price.

If you look at the Rivarossi stockists listed, I think I visited the shop closest to the centre of town a few years ago, and it had a fairly good selection from a number of producers and was only 15/20 min walk from the cathedral. There are also some big model shows in Köln and some of the manufacturers have produced local models - of questionable accuracy! I have picked up trucks with pictures of the cathedral and others with adverts for Kölsch (make sure you drink some). These have been show specials and excess stock has gone to local retailers. My brother worked for in Köln a few years ago and I have had some great trips there and some great nights out...............

Have fun and lets us know how you get on!

Good Afternoon All,

Many thanks for your helpful replies.  I'm not sure what I was looking for really, but wondered if there was any benefit to buying it over there.

I like the idea of getting something with Köln on it, some trucks or similar.  I am very new to this hobby, and setting up a 00 gauge layout for me and my 5yo son to use and build together over time (with the 2yo to perhaps enjoy in a few years also).

This is my 3rd trip to Cologne in as many years for work (we have an office in Hürth near to Brühl).  I will probably have half a day or so to myself in Cologne and wondered if anyone had any experience.  As mentioned, I am new to this and didn't want to purchase something that wasn't compatible with what I am trying to build at home (which is exclusively Hornby at the moment).

Thanks again,

George

Hi George

You say that you are setting up a OO gauge layout.

Others here have mentioned the European HO gauge but unfortunately have not alluded to the differences of the scales.

You should be aware that OO is 1:76 scale and HO is 1:87 scale which may not seem like much (around 15% difference) but it would probably look quite odd on the same layout.

A Hornby carriage for example stands around 50mm above the track whereas a European carriage would stand around 42 - 43mm.

However, the track size is the same and European gauge rolling stock will run on Hornby track.

Well, I'm sitting at the airport after a hectic week, but managed to visit a wonderful model shop in Cologne today.

Am I allowed to post the name, or is that advertising?

Bought my son (me) a Kinder Chocolate coach, made by Märklin for €15.00. Having never bought brand new stock before, I've no idea if that's good but I like it.

The shop is excellent, opened today after moving down the street.  I think I was one of the first customers. 

Cheers, 

George 

You get probably get a hobbyist to drill out the existing Marklin wheels and fit insulating bushes so that your wagon could be used on two rail track with your existing Hornby items, failing that if you contacted the Marklin agents for the UK - Gaugemaster they should be able to supply the appropriate two rail wheels - www.gaugemaster.co.uk. 

Good luck my friend sorting this. I have an ho scale Rocco type EL16 (Norwegian State Railway). Rocco is an Austrian company I believe but im sure the shop you mention sell stuff from other non German companies. it’s my favourite model loco with loads of detail and it does look a smaller next to OO scale locos but nothing to write home about in my opinion unless you are looking for exactness (im more into the sceneary modelling). The fact is, HO scale models are more inline with the track scale and gauge (including UK track!) than OO. I havnt The time to explain why (sorry, I’m assuming you don’t know the history of it all , but if you are interested and it is quite interesting, look it up on Wikipedia). Look out for the coupling, Rocco for example have a different system to Hornby, check the coupling can be easily switched on whatever you buy to match yours, I’m sure the shop can advise and do it for you. Good luck with it for you and your son (I’d say buy what looks good to you, I like the early diesels, electrics and liverys from Norway and have a family connection which explains my choice above). 

@Yeovilglover

Nice wagon, but you will still have to change the axles (or there will be a short circuit) in order to push it along unless you requested DC axles at point of purchase. The DC wheel sets you need are E700580 - they should be available at Gaugemaster or via any Marklin stockist.

Regarding the couplers, it doesn't look like it has NEM pockets so you will have to play around if you want to use it as part of a regular train, or equip the OO loco you are using to pull it with a European coupler - if the loco has an NEM pocket!

Have fun and I hope you managed to try some Kölsch during your stay in Köln...............