Ships in 1/350 scale?

paul-muc

In the last edition of Workbench we are asked:  

Should Airfix be looking to re-enter the 1/350th scale ship market and if so, which particular vessels would be most popular with modellers? We are desperately keen to hear your views on and we would be grateful if you would let us have your thoughts by dropping us a quick e-mail at our usual workbench@airfix.com address.  

Would you welcome the return of Airfix to the1/350th scale ship model arena and if so, which vessels would you like to see produced. On a slightly more specific note, would you welcome the addition of a Queen Elizabeth class carrier in this scale?  

Any suggestions? So send your mail.

I`m hoping Airfix will re-enter the 350th warship market.I sent an E-mail requesting them to make a kit of the Queen Elizabeth .I also would like them to do a kit of the Destroyer HMS Cavalier.which is preserved at Chatham.With modifications this would as a basis for all the classes of destroyer built for the RN from 1943 to 45

I'd love to see the new carrier QE class HMS QE and PoW in 350 scale.

Its a shame Airfix are slow out the traps when it comes to modern British Ships and boats in 350 scale. I'd like to support Airfix, but when it comes to 350th i had to turn to Trumpeter for the Type 23's Hobby Boss for Astute. Bronco for Vanguard.

Atleast Airfix brought HMS Illustrious, Type 45s & Trafalgar class to market.

I'd like to see an Airfix release of the Albion class in 350th. possibly even the new RFA Tide class. (might not be a popular choice and too costly?)

But surely going forward Airfix have to if nothing else produce the new carriers in 350th.

It would certainly seem that 1/350 is the scale of choice across the spectrum of other kit producers, and there are some amazing kits out there!

Airfix could do a lot worse than jump on this bandwagon and, if they did, how about some good "detail up" items such as wooden decks (where appropriate), turned brass barrels and photo-etch?

As for subject matter, the RN seems to be very popular, with ships ranging from pre-Dreadnought to modern day!

I think Airfix need to look at a gap in the market and for me the 1950s through to the 1980s are missing. I would like to see a 1:350 Leander class frigate with options to make different models (there were in fact 4 versions - original, exocet, seawolf and Ikara), Type 22 (again 3 types), HMS Hermes original and ski jump, and perhaps RFA vessels especially in the Amphibious roles. In the overseas arena for the European market French, German, Italian and Spanish warships.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. 1/350 is the way forward in my part of the world  (S. Korea). Have 2 Illustrious, one is now Invincible, and the 45. The QE carrier and perhaps revisiting County class destroyers with options plus Leander and Tiger, also with options. Trumpeter seems to have wrapped up modern US Navy ships in this scale, and could beat Airfix to the punch on the above. Regarding PE parts for this and other scales, I prefer the Eduard products as they are more robust in shaping and at least over here cheaper, as well as delivering more options.

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely want to see Airfix backing ship builders once again .  Everybody wants a Qeen Elizabeth carrier and that should have Airfix all over it.

when you look at what other companies produce they tend to be ships that were in action in the Pacific to maximise market intrest I guess.

i think thier is no point doing another Bismark ot KG5. But do some stuff others havent like an Altmark, that could be used in a diroma with Graf Spee, or HMS Warrior, that would suit Airfix down to the ground

we have some missing ocean liners too how about a  Lusitainia 

An Airfix Queen Elizabeth class would be large and expensive, but should prove to be a good seller, especially in the UK.  It won't be cheap.  I would guess that RN Modellers would go for the new vessels, like the Type 26 frigates.  8 in the class, plus conversion for future ships too, as Canada, Australia and others have shown an interest in the type.Someone mentioned HMS Cavalier.  Not a bad idea, when there were so many in the class.  I would quite like to see Airfix do their classics in this scale.  Cossack, Hotspur, Daring and Tiger etc.They need a special, stand out kit.  Also mentioned above was Ark Royal. the last of the fixed wing carriers. Another One Off, was HMS Vanguard.  Our last battleship.  No one else has modelled it, apart from the oddly scaled Hasegawa kit.  No one has done the WWI HMS Iron Duke yet.  

As for liners?  The Queens would be my choice. The Queen Mary, now a hotel in America, and The Queen Elizabeth, that was lost in a fire.  They could be built in Liner versions and Troopship versions.  They would be magnificent, and wouldn't they sell.  These could really get the full deluxe treatment.  I can just see the box art now. Airfix have already dipped their toe in the water in this scale, so a new ship would be most welcome. 

@ian_rutland

Queen Mary was produced by Revell  and you can still find examples.  The box says the scale is 1:570 but it is actually very much closer to 1:600 and can sit next to the other Airfix Queens quite happily.  I have one in my stash but haven't got around to building it.  Be warned .....it does need a fair bit of work done to it.

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this forum, but reading all your comments I must say I have to agree with a lot of them. in my younger years I was mainly into 1/72 scale anything but there was always one thing missing, I love ships, it's hard to find ships in 1/72 unless you want to scratch build, and then there's the problem on where to store them. In 2000 I went to my local hobby store and asked for something new the lady showed me the 1/350 USS New Jersey, well let's just say I was hooked, al large scale ship kit that lets you get as crazy with detail as you want. since then my fleet has grown to some 70+ ships. 

trumpeter was my primary source and of course I got the HMS Illustrious when Airfix came out with it, and although the ships that are available have grown in numbers and detail quality there is a huge gap that I wish someone would fill in, like commercial ship, or navy support ships, even ships from the 50s, 60s.

this might sound crazy but I would also love to see more support kits like harbor equipment, cranes, warehouse, train, trucks and how about Army and airforce aircraft from WW2 to present with support buildings and vehicles! 

Oh and one more thing, I would love for someone to make the HMS Nelson and Rodney in 1/350 scale, trumpeter has been teasing for the last three years but still hasn't come out with them, come on already!

You are probably correct, Trumpeter made teaser 1/350 scale kit of the Rodney or Nelson to show off, ive seen pictures of it at model shows, but I don't know what the delay is in releasing it.

I've been holding kit bashing a HMS Prince of Whales to make a Rodney, the last time I kit bashed which was converting a Bismarck to make a Graff Zeppelin I got 80% through the build and they came out with 1/350 Zeppelin, so now I'm not sure what I want to do with the partial Build.

• 2 years later...

There is possibly a real niche market opportunity here for Airfix to cater to. thinking_face

The modern RN has barely been touched by other model companies, and so an opportunity may exist (given proximity to the subject matter) for Airfix to produce kits in both of the modern, widely accepted scales of 1/350 AND 1/700 of the QE/POW carriers, (let's face it, volume sales are 1/700 scale, 1/350 is for those with deep pockets), and the new Type 26 Frigates, which, with both the Australian and Canadian navies having them in service as well as the RN, means these kits may have international appeal as well...

There seems to be a lot of demand for the last Ark Royal Carrier as well... sleuth_or_spy

Put together with the existing kits of the Type 45's, and Illustrious class (Modern) and Airfix could become the go-to brand for modern RN kits... In 1/350 and 1/700 scale, naturally wink

• 3 weeks later...
@ian_rutland
Queen Mary was produced by Revell and you can still find examples. The box says the scale is 1:570 but it is actually very much closer to 1:600 and can sit next to the other Airfix Queens quite happily. I have one in my stash but haven't got around to building it. Be warned .....it does need a fair bit of work done to it.

I have this kit. The SS United States also scales out nearer to 1/600, so all is not lost.

I would love a model of the FRANCE ( NORWAY ) though there appears to be an issue with a damaged tool. I wonder if a new sprue could be made to replace the damaged parts. It would certainly appeal to loads of us who missed out.

Can anyone provide a full description of the damage?