9F tender disintegration of metal chassis

david_watts1

Has anyone else had a problem with their 9F running number 92221. It is loco drive, but has pick ups in the tender too which once would have held the motor. The tender wheels were misaligned so when I took the tender apart to investigate, the metal just crumbled in my hand. Is this the metal rot I have heard about and will the loco drop to bits as well?

I had trouble with mine in that the tender wheels seized up for some reason. I tried to sort it out, but ended up breaking some of the plastic and whilst it will now run as the wheels are freed off, it is not really right and derails occasionally. To make matters worse I paid out £3.99 for a replacement chassis and it is not that which is the issue, it is the old tender drive motor housing. I sort of assumed that was the part I would have needed, silly error really. I did write about this some time ago and there was a thread on it. 

When sourcing a replacement Ringfield motor block, ensure it is of Chinese manufacture and one from towards the end of the tender drive era so that it is tapped to take the pick-up plates (unless you can drill and tap the holes yourself).  If it is a bare block, it will then also take your axles and their bearings which are of a slightly smaller diameter than their UK equivalents. 

GS

I have just found this metal rot/fatigue in one of my loco's !

I have a couple of the Hornby Patriot class loco's that bI purchased from Hornby when they were released.

They have never been run as they are on display in my cabinet.

Today I picked up Patriot Class R2629 "Kings Royal Rifle Corps" to see about putting a decoder inside.

The chassis came away easily, but as I tried to put it back together the front of the chassis just broke away as it touched the body. No pressure from me.

So now have a useless loco chassis.

Hopefully I can obtain a replacement somewhere and have this loco actually running at some point.

Very annoyed and frustrated about this. ☹️

I have just found this metal rot/fatigue in one of my loco's !
I have a couple of the Hornby Patriot class loco's that I purchased from Hornby when they were released.
They have never been run as they are on display in my cabinet.
Today I picked up Patriot Class R2629 "Kings Royal Rifle Corps" to see about putting a decoder inside.
The chassis came away easily, but as I tried to put it back together the front of the chassis just broke away as it touched the body. No pressure from me.

Hi JH1, please check the service sheets and Google a bit more.

I believe the Royal Scot chassis is the same as the rebuilt Patriot.

I purchased a 'back-up chassis' from Peters for the same possible reason - my Royal Scot is perfect, for now ... but I really like this loco so would not be happy to consign it somewhere ...

LINK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-X7219-Royal-Scot-Chassis-Block-Motor-Retainer/323852122018?hash=item4b671737a2:g:7wAAAOSw4u9dILY5

Al.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've been following this thread with some interest as my Railroad 9f 92221 which has sat in it's box unused for the last 6 years, has now developed Mazak rot in the tender and on the motor mounts. Now you can still get the motor mounts, but I can't find the dummy engine mount that fits on the tender chassis anywhere, I even emailed Hornby, but they seemed to have ignored the email. So anyway I took matters into my own hands and have started reverse engineering the old Mazak ridden dummy motor mount to then 3D print it. I shall keep you posted on how things progress.

I am surprised someone hasn’t set up a cottage industry to provide replacements for the multitude of Mazak rotted out parts. 3-D printing is one option for certain items but if weight is required then a machined metal replacement may be the only way forward.

If Hornby are unable to help, I would suggest you contact the likes of 'Peters Spares' (or keep an eye on auction sites) as the motor block was common to many models, initially as part of drive unit X941 produced in the UK and then as X941/5P during China production of loco's such as Britannia, King, B17, D49, class 37 and class 47 as well as the 9F before adoption of loco drive for steam loco's and ex-Lima can-motored chassis for the diesels. The /5P (5-pole) version of the motor block will be tapped to take the pick-ups, will have axle bearings the right diameter to take your existing axles and will fit your tender chassis frame. You can also transfer the motor faceplate from your existing unit.

I am surprised someone hasn’t set up a cottage industry to provide replacements for the multitude of Mazak rotted out parts. 3-D printing is one option for certain items but if weight is required then a machined metal replacement may be the only way forward.

If extra weight is an issue then there is plenty of room on top of my 3D printed axle block to add extra metal weight.

If Hornby are unable to help, I would suggest you contact the likes of 'Peters Spares' (or keep an eye on auction sites) as the motor block was common to many models, initially as part of drive unit X941 produced in the UK and then as X941/5P during China production of loco's such as Britannia, King, B17, D49, class 37 and class 47 as well as the 9F before adoption of loco drive for steam loco's and ex-Lima can-motored chassis for the diesels. The /5P (5-pole) version of the motor block will be tapped to take the pick-ups, will have axle bearings the right diameter to take your existing axles and will fit your tender chassis frame. You can also transfer the motor faceplate from your existing unit.

I spent a whole day on the Net looking for a spare 'motor block'. Crazy prices on certain auction sites, I refuse to pay £20 for just a motor block, and Peters Spares had none in stock either. That's why I decided to spend a couple of hours drawing one up in CAD, it has the holes to allow me to use the extra tender pick-ups, the correct size 'lugs' the allow it to locate onto the tender chassis, and holes to the existing axle bearing sleeves to slot into place.

I am in the process of fine tuning the motor block, I can post some pictures of my progress if you are interested?

Please try contacting Hornby first. Make sure you give them the full information on the small sticker at the top of the instruction sheet. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I tried that two weeks ago, and have heard nothing from Hornby, hence why I went down the reverse engineering / 3D printing route myself.

• 3 months later...

I know this post is pretty old but just to add I found that my Princess Elizabeth has the same "rot" issue. I already had it on my rebuilt Scot, I just assumed it only effected the rebuilt scot and 9fs but it appears I was wrong. It seems it not only goes brittle but hard as well. I broke a drill and blunted a M2 tap trying to fix the old Scot chassis ( fortunately I found a decent second hand one on EBay).

Peters Spares used to sell 'new spare' Royal Scot chassis.

I used my spare to complete the 'restoration' of my LMS Royal Scot - existing chassis were not the best.

MAZAK rot was prevalent for some time, and a big list of affected locomotives is available - presumably 'Google is your friend' here.

Al.