Airfix Model club

EMU

I am a member of the Airfix Collectors'Club which is run by Jeremy Brook. I am currently awaiting my latest issue of the club journal CS 74 which should have been posted around Easter. Also the Kit List No 6 was to have been posted out with CS 74.

Yet again,the launching of the Airfix Model Club has been postponed until'mid-year'. When are we now likely to see the launch of the club?

I appreciate that times are difficult for all at present, but this is not the first time that the Airfix Model Club relaunch as been postponed.

This is a disappointment for all those members who are waiting for their journals and related items.

With thanks.

The Airfix Club was scheduled for re-booting this Easter. Given that we're in the middle of a pandemic it seems perfectly reasonable to me that it will be on hold until further notice and to be perfectly honest mid-year strikes me as optimistic because there's unlikely to be any sort of return to normaility by then. AFAIK Jeremy runs the collector's club independently from Airfix, I'm sure if he sees this post he will respond, but again we're in the middle of a pandemic and the post has suffered from disruption. 

EMU, did you not get Jeremy's e-mail on 21/04/20

So I shall finish off CS74 and and hopefully print it next week. I shall save printing the KL6 until mid-year when the Airfix Model Club should be announced and it can be sent out with CS75.

Hi Ratch,

Yes, I did get Jeremy's message but I just wondered if there would be a response from Airfix as the relaunch  of the Airfix model Club has again been postponed. I am well aware that the Covid is causing severe disruption in many areas but the club's relaunch has been delayed on more than one occasion long before the Covid outbreak occurred. However, Jeremy has said that he will 'keep us all informed'.

Yours,

EMU. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The answer is - nobody knows. Early in the new year it was announced that the club would be rebooted in 'the spring', then this was narrowed down to Easter. That was pre-pandemic, I would think the best you can expect is that a further announcement will be made once the pandemic situation becomes more normalised. 

• 1 month later...

How can a Club Membership be out of stock when it was only launched this morning?

Probably the same way airfix new releases go out of stock on the website on the very day they launch. Just the usual shambles.

• 2 weeks later...

How can a Club Membership be out of stock when it was only launched this morning?

Probably the same way airfix new releases go out of stock on the website on the very day they launch. Just the usual shambles.

I agree a complete shambles, I have been continually trying to join the latest `incarnation` of the airfix club since it allegedly restarted but everytime got an error 404 not found.

I emailed them and I got a reply this morning (6th July) stating "The problem would be sorted out by the end of the day)

Well here we are on the 7th July and I am still getting the same error 404!

I agree a complete shambles, I have been continually trying to join the latest `incarnation` of the airfix club since it allegedly restarted but everytime got an error 404 not found.

I emailed them and I got a reply this morning (6th July) stating "The problem would be sorted out by the end of the day)

Well here we are on the 7th July and I am still getting the same error 404!

The huge banner link has now also gone.  If you go to the bottom there is a link but guess what?

Error 404

I managed to place and pay for club membership on launch day. I called Aifix today as I had not yet recieved anything in the post. My Club membership stated it had been dispatched on the 27th June. Airfix have informed me that they had an issue with a small number of orders that did not completely processed. Mine being one of them. They have told me it should be dispatched this week. I suggest anyone in the same boat as me should call Airfix about their order.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so apologies in advance if not. Airfix, if you're listening, please take what follows as constructive criticism.

So - I joined the new club. A relatvely hassle free experience compared with some, it would appear. 

Slightly different story when it came to receiving the pack. Last week I got an email from DPD saying they were going to deliver it that day. They didn't.

The following day I clicked the track your parcel link in DPD's email. The parcel was on it's way back to Hornby Hobbies. I followed up with the DPD chat bot - this was due to 'driver error', and I needed to conact the sender. The bot was sorry.

I emailed Airfix, who gave me a number to ring them on, and a nice lady called Liz sorted out a redelivery, and the box has just arrived.

I have to say it was rather a large box, given that it contained wadding paper, air, and a significantly smaller box, which itself contained the club box, inside which was a folder with a letter, some flyers for Club merch, and the trolley token.

The delivery issue was clearly not Airfix's fault, although they may wish to review their choice of carrier.

The excess packaging however is something they should look at. I have to ask why for the standard package they need to ship anything other than the flying hours passport (which could be posted with the membership card, which is sent separately from the pack)? It seems a step back from the previous club set up (which as I recall offered an 'online only' option?) and is not very environmentally friendly.

Anyway - I'm in, and can use my flying hours when the RAF Buccaneer comes out, which was the real reason I joined. Good times.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you can get into the Club page, using the Airfix Club icon about half way down the homepage, not the Join Airfix Club at the top of the page.

But there are currently no activities within the Club area, it may take a while to get going properly!

The question is, what is the point behind the club?  My view is that it is nothing but a cash grab.  What do you get for joining?  A few pieces of paper and a key fob.  And incredibly, this costs 20 quid more in shipping for addresses outside the UK!  I've had kits and supplies shipped from Hannants for less than this.

I did challenge Airfix on this; and as they we in Canada, "crickets".

I want to support Airfix as much as the next guy.  I grew up building Airfix kits.  Some of my fondest childhood memories are building Airfix kits with my dad.  They are producing some really great kits.  But.......

I have joined the new club and used to renew every year before it went pear shaped. .. I recall as well as the flying hours benefits we got 10% off the price of kits from the web shop ... plus a number of club exclusives and the magazine ... seemed a good deal and we were supporting the brand.... I think at present it feels we are just supporting the brand but let's hang on in there and see what develops. I have an interest in Hornby model railways and  although no room for a circuit at present I did join the Hornby Collectors Club just last week ... I think I'd had a glass or two of wine and was feeling nostalgic for the old days when the sun always shone... but from what I understand there seem to be quite a lot of benefits for members akin to the old Airfix Club... a complementary loco, magazines and stuff like that but also club exclusives at cheaper prices and access to a club forum ... not looked at it yet but the overall package feels quite good value for money... given its all the Hornby brand perhaps the Airfix team will be using some pointers from their railway colleagues to build a club-like feel for their plastic modellers... seems a shame that the only perceived benefit at present appears to be cashing in flying hours... just to get more kits with even more flying hours... anyhow fingers crossed, but I do remain eternally optimistic and am sure that great minds are at work for our delight & edification  😀

With the club closed for a while I've built up a huge stock of flying hours. I've just this morning sent 30 off so hopefully a Me262 or yet another Beaufighter for just under a fiver. Not a bad deal..... none of the other makes do the tokens things. 

PS I have noticed the vintage classics are a bit more generous with the tokens too. 2 for the SM-79 and Black widow aren't bad. Effectively thats 1/4 of a Spitfire.