Triumph Herald

Ratch

• 2 years later...

Yeah, too late for that now I think, but thank you for the suggestion. Maybe something that will come to the rescue on something in the future. Sad to see this build end this way as I put a lot into it. I've re-glued and reclamped it and I'm not going to touch it til Friday evening.

Then the clamps will come off and it will be what it will be.

Hi simon you could try Tamiya extra thin cement quick set you can get it from hobbycraft.

make sure the joint that will be glued is clear of paint to make a good contact between parts, clamp the parts together first so that you are happy with it, then put the glue on, with it been thin it uses a capillary action and flows into the joint and sets the two parts together where there is contact, so if you don't have contact all the way down you can do like a spot weld in the places that do have contact hopefully this should hold it ( I've even used it to reopen joints to make them better if they have moved whilst setting previously but you do have to be careful when doing this)

From what i remember when i made one mine didn't make contact all the way around as well and this held it

hope this helps

paul

Thanks Paul, it's really great to get replies on this. Unfortunately I have tried that. After it failed the first time I took the body fully off the chassis, sanded off any paint that was in the joins, and tried a second time.

I think one side has held, but the other one separated again. I'm on my last try now. I'm leaving it clamped until Friday evening and I'll try the Tamiya extra thin again too before I unclamp it.

I took months making this as it was the first one I hd done in over 20 years... shame it's been so troublesome.

• 5 months later...

Hello, new here but in the last couple of years I’ve become quite addicted to the Airfix 1/32 cars. Thankfully I’m quite slow at building and do other models so the lack of options hasn’t been a problem yet! Picked up the Herald at the Hornby museum at the weekend, so far I’ve primed and done the white parts in my luxury spray booth.forum_image_64a673e39b589.thumb.png.d61b528eb8c2556cdfb6c7b83b2bfc1d.png

forum_image_64a68d20cafa3.thumb.png.8821b8db7373048f1e56100fd9ecfaed.png

Great idea! Easy-ish modification, I made a folded hood out of air drying clay for the 1/32 E-type because I wanted the roof down and it looked good. And maybe you could use the bit of roof cut off to make a third estate version! I love the estate. Oh dear you've got me thinking now...

I have ordered another one, love the convertible idea! Coming together on the chassis, need the paint to harden a bit before I join the body, dreading the gaps you guys have enjoyed with this kit! Will have extra glue and clamps at the ready…forum_image_64ac10df2552c.thumb.png.81f955dc5f513865dd6d3fc07e85420d.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finished! It’sa bit rough but nice if you don’t like too closely. The body went on a dream but the windows and bonnet were a nightmare.

Will move onto the convertible soon, though apparently my pre-order order Bond Bug is in the post!!

forum_image_64b83479f1c6f.thumb.png.5f8fe6385afb0c92c6a21cd81ddd07f7.pngforum_image_64b8348057012.thumb.png.d2288f7306cb0475bb2a57c0add3e00c.pngforum_image_64b834861e535.thumb.png.e451889953750f05a27157c3b6722c18.png