Wish list ideas for 2023/24

Colin Pearce

Just coming back into kit modelling; family grown up & I have more time n space.

My time has / is filled with 6mm/ 15mm figure ( WWII & Napoleonic) painting & gaming with said figures & 6mm planes (+ board gaming).

A lot has changed. Quality of Airfix models now is great.

There is also a lot more techniques re weathering for me to develop.

I find itharder to achieve a good effect on planes than on AFV’s.

Bit late for 2022 launches so here are a few ideas for longer term planning.

1/72. (Ideally with crew figures.)

B17 Fortress. Early version (F ideally …Hells Angels/ Knockout Dropper/ Memphis Belle)

B24 Liberator, early & late versions

Short Sunderland MK I & III

HP Halifax MK I & III

Short Stirling

HP Hampden

Fairy Battle

German Battle of Britain/ Blitz bombers ( Hienkel 111, Donier 17 & JU88)

Italian fighters & bombers would be nice ( Fiat G50, Macchi MC200, Macchi C202, Cant Z 1007 & Fiat BR 20)

Russian & Japanese WW2 aircraft theme / collections.

Dauntless dive bomber, TBM Avenger, Hellcat, Corsair and P38 Lighting ( Europe & Pacific options)

1/48 scale

Wellington, Lancaster, B17 & 24

Napolenonic figures please 🙏 1/76 of yesteryear plus additional countries. Full artillery trains for each country.

Diorama: Re-release Waterloo set. Hougoumont would be good, Borodino & Leipzig.

Oh I could dream on…..

Well, Azur-Ffrom have announced a 1/72nd Battle for spring 2022. That’s one off my wish list, so that really only leaves the Hampden - which is still available from Valom - and Avro Manchester - for which Blackbird Models makes a conversion kit for the Airfix Lancaster. smiley

Most of the things in my wish list, which is very much late-1930s to the end of 1940, are available from elsewhere or so esoteric hardly anyone will bother trying to make the kit!

I think I would put my request in for more ground support equipment for many countries, as well as better quality scale figures.

For that matter, revisiting the existing Rescue, Recovery and Refuelling sets, and rewriting the painting instructions to produce all WW2 schemes rather than a mix of WW2 and post war would be nice, and only take a day or 2 of someone's time.

A new RNLI lifeboat (more or less any class except another re-release of the Severn).

I've said it before, but a Hampden is the obvious gap in a collection of British WW2 (1936 to '45) medium bombers, and possibly a Havoc to go with?

1. Consolidated B-24H Liberator with Ford nose. [There are no 'H' model kits in existence. The old Airfix B-24J is horribly inaccurate and dated.]
  2. Vought F4U-1D Corsair with folding wings. [same reason - there is no folding wings version of Corsair available in 1/72, and the Airfix F4U is horribly dated.]
  3. Brewster F2A Buffalo, with noses for either Model 239 (the Finnish version) and F2A-2 (FAA version).
  4. Junkers Ju 88 A-4 / C-6 with parts for both bomber and fighter
  5. Republic P-47D Razorback. [The old Airfix kit is horribly inaccurate]
  6. Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate [We need a new kit of Ki-84 Frank]
  7. Handley Page Hampden [The old Airfix kit is horribly dated]
  8. Fokker D.XXI with both Finnish and Dutch versions [The old Frog kit is unavailable]
  9. Blackburn Skua [The old Frog kit is horribly dated and unavailable]
  10. Messerschmitt Bf 109 F [The 'G' model is horribly inaccurate]

• 2 weeks later...
OK I have to assume that my wishes for 2022 will not come to fruition, so I carry over to 2023;
1/72 scale Dassault Rafale....choices of markings now abound for French, Indian and Greek
1/72 AMX...soon to leave Italian service
Come on Airfix, you have done Mirages and G91s in the past, so lets have some galic subjects again.

And finally please reissue the Puma in the update mode as it finally leaves RAF service

Stick to commonwealth subjects and leave the German subjects to Revell (they must have do every aircraft whether they existed or not!)

Time to do a couple more 1/72 tanks. Try doing ones that are not available in 1/72 ideally not the usuals.

Matilda - several models could be produced. The Australian matilda could clearly be improved with extenal phoe at rear, protection aroud turret ring and improvised protection at the rear. now that would be worth buying. 3" CS was a great favourite as a bunker buster.

Vickers VI - principle BEF tank types B and C . The second model could be the AA version

If however Airfix go for the usual panther please at least have the cuckoo decals!

The other popular alternative would be to replace the Churchill . Would suggest the MkI including decals for North Africa and Dieppe. The Italian campaign even had MkI Churchills with 2 x 3" howitzers and a panzer III cupola

As the tendency is for aircraft lets update the Hampden, Stirland of go for skua or baracuda (supporting the FAA museum in their building of this type of aircraft)

Hawker Typhoon and Buccaneer, both in 1/48. I'm not asking too much?

Looking at a different sphere, how about some classic racing cars? The Alfetta 158/159 would be a great start, as it is only available as either an awful 1950s tooling or a hugely expensive multi-media offering from Japan.

Another vote for a new Hampden, not least because we have new tools of all the other British WW2 service medium bombers in some form.

Also a Vintage Classics re-release of the Sunbeam Rapier would be nice. As it builds as coupe or convertible I'd buy at least 2, maybe 3 if I can find references for a Holbay Rapier, and even 4 if I can find references for a Peter Harper rally car.

Clearly some interesting and diverse requests, but personally I think the most popular choices have a more realistic chance of becoming reality!

And if they don't appear in the imminent 2022 releases, I think the clear winner would be the ........

HP HAMPDEN

Followed by the ........

FAIREY BATTLE (regardless of whether Azur issue a new tool of this kit cos I feel Airfix's market reach would be greater and still sell very well)

They are of course my personal choices as well!!

T2B

Good choices the Hampden and Battle…

In a few days, we will know if 2022 is our lucky year for those two!

Then I suppose that Ratch will open up the 2023 Wishlist next Tuesday morning and we will do it all over again.

It also appears that we need another category (we used 23/24 wishlist this past year) and call it “I’d also like to Wish for” or “In a subsequent year I’d wish for” for those items that are not our top five wishes so that we can raise them for discussion, keep track of them and “kick the can down the road” a year or two???

Thoughts??

Tim

The Ju 88 has been on these request list for years. Airfix have done the other two bombers the Do17 & He111 therefore the Ju88 is very conspicuous by it's absence.

Then a Ju 88 in both the Jumo and BMW powered versions. Then how about a Ju88.

Come on Airfix please do the Ju88 as like many of us we're getting on in years now and I fear times getting short.

Ju88, Ju88 and a Ju88.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom.