Maximising the Moulds

Dominic Thomas

With the imminent release of the 2022 model list and the high number of Wishlist topics, I wondered what aircraft I might expect to see in the list next week.

It seems there are two approaches Airfix have or might take. Firstly, it’s making the most of the mould they have invested in. In that case, perhaps there is potential to see

• Vampire T11 giving rise to a Vampire NF10, or even a Venom NF
  • Beaufort I leading on to a Mark II and Mark VIII
  • Blenheim I in 1/48 leading on to a Mark IV [happened in 1/72]
  • Mosquito XVI to a Mark IX or even Mark IV, or perhaps a PR set
  • Dornier 17 to the nightfighter version.
  • Defiant to the target tug version.

That’s just to suggest a few.

The other approach would be to use the scanning technique on existing aircraft to maintain current standards, allied with the potential for numerous releases based on markings and/or versions. In this category, the Fairey Battle and HP Hampden are definite candidates, and certainly popular on these pages.

The last aircraft I would mention, which sort of falls into the first category, would be the Manchester from the existing Lancaster series. That would certainly complete the RAF bomber force of early WWII.

Thoughts ? Or just wait & see.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but Airfix has been doing this year's and maximising the value of the new tool moulds, for example:-

Blenheim B Mk.I evolved into the F Mk.I, B Mk.IV & F Mk.IV

Lancaster Mk.I/III evolved into Mk.II and Mk.III Special

Wellington Mk.1a/c evolved into the GR Mk.VIII and Mk.II. And there are others!!

I fully expect that the most recent new releases of the Beaufort & Mosquito with evolve in the 2022 releases into an updated boxed version.

Yes there are 1 or 2 omissions such as the Beaufighter as mentioned (the TF Mk.X even has the wing ejector ports for the 6 X MG's of the Mk.I and some Mk.VI's). But maybe it is still planned?

But credit where credit is due eh?!

I suppose I should have started the post by referencing the models that have already been treated in such a way, such as the Lancaster, Wellington, Whitley, and Blenheim as you all have pointed out above. Still, it’s good to see the preferences being expressed.

I hope Jess from Airfix is reading this, assuming she’s still in post.

I wanted to highlight this approach to the mould use because I am keen to see new models but still remember that my first post requesting a new model of a Beaufort was 5 years before the model hit the shelves, and I don’t think for one minute that my request was the first. Making use of existing moulds should produce a product faster that starting from scratch.