Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier

david evans1707819943

Where to even start in response to the OP and first response.

OP - Ships are very much a minority when it comes to modelling. There will always be Air kits taking priority. Getting 2 reissues after last year is fantastic in my opinion. But creating a 1/350 ship takes time and when priorities are on the 1/24 new tool airframes, a large scale expensive carrier will take time. Maybe a 2023 release.

Graham_walker1 - same response to you. Just because they haven't done it this year, doesn't mean that they won't. Also where have they said they "don't want to do the british flagship?'..... exactly.

Playing devils advocate on this. Would they have access to enough information to produce a detailed enough model? For example, below the waterline may not be something the Royal Navy are going to be keen to show off just yet. If they then "made it up", would that be good enough, considering the cost of production?

Personally, I think the sheer size of HMSQE in 1/350 would be prohibitive. It would be much better to revive 1/600 with this subject.
We all live in hope.

Hi Ratch... yes this would be in the quite large ...maybe not quite as big a the Tamiya USS Enterprise but close.

But then again, when was the last new Airfix 1/600th scale ship tool created?

We also forget that for the Vast majority of 2021 HMS Queen Elizabeth was out of the country on a worldwide deployment. HMS Prince of Wales was active too.

This thread very much sums up the entitlement of modellers these days. Not looking at what we have, but what we didn't have. Personally the 2 Vintage Classic ships re-released are fantastic purely based on the fact that they are getting rarer by the minute and sell for extortionate prices on eBay. Yes we all have a wish-list but the fact that we actually got something compared to last year is something to be celebrated.

Scratch building is always an option.....

Playing devils advocate on this. Would they have access to enough information to produce a detailed enough model? For example, below the waterline may not be something the Royal Navy are going to be keen to show off just yet. If they then "made it up", would that be good enough, considering the cost of production?

They had access to the ship when DaveCov built the scratchbuild - he saw it under construction.

This thread very much sums up the entitlement of modellers these days. Not looking at what we have, but what we didn't have. Personally the 2 Vintage Classic ships re-released are fantastic purely based on the fact that they are getting rarer by the minute and sell for extortionate prices on eBay. Yes we all have a wish-list but the fact that we actually got something compared to last year is something to be celebrated.

How true.

I'll be getting the two re-issues - and I don't usually go for post WW2

• 1 month later...
Where to even start in response to the OP and first response.

OP - Ships are very much a minority when it comes to modelling. There will always be Air kits taking priority. Getting 2 reissues after last year is fantastic in my opinion. But creating a 1/350 ship takes time and when priorities are on the 1/24 new tool airframes, a large scale expensive carrier will take time. Maybe a 2023 release.

Graham_walker1 - same response to you. Just because they haven't done it this year, doesn't mean that they won't. Also where have they said they "don't want to do the british flagship?'..... exactly.
You dont realise Airfix only listen to ideas about aircraft SO VERY BORING of them, they will not make a new ship just release old moulds untill there unusable. Same goes for every thing else. Rubbish cheap scape Lego kits but not as good an yet another new spitfire the aircraft that thinks it won the BoB but didnt

You dont realise Airfix only listen to ideas about aircraft SO VERY BORING of them, they will not make a new ship just release old moulds untill there unusable. Same goes for every thing else. Rubbish cheap scape Lego kits but not as good an yet another new spitfire the aircraft that thinks it won the BoB but didnt

You mean the rubbish Lego kits that not only keep the company solvent, but probably ensure it returns a profit? The way these are marketed, the prominence on the web pages, the prominence they get in the paper catalogue tells me that these are hugely important products for Airfix and enable the company to invest in other stuff like, oh, let's have a think, 1/48 Ansons, Chipmunks etc, etc. If ships are not on the Airfix radar it's almost certainly because they can't sell enough product to make it worth their while. It's a business, not a service for modellers with a strong sense of entitlement, they will manufacture stuff they can guarantee to sell, not stuff they can hope to sell.

• 2 weeks later...
Ture thats why I spent £500+ with chinese companies every year and £0 with airfix who are so closed minded its untrue, let them make a cheap version of LEGO.

OTOH I bought a "Quickbuild" Bugatti Veyron because it was about the only 1/~24 scale Veyron I could get from any maker, at any price.

• 1 month later...
Ture thats why I spent £500+ with chinese companies every year and £0 with airfix who are so closed minded its untrue, let them make a cheap version of LEGO.

While I see where your coming from, I'd rather have Airfix kits to make for years to come then revisit the situation of 15 years ago where the company nearly went out of existance.

Hornby has nodoubt made a killing over the last two years thanks to Covid, but now that most people are back at work/school, model making (as well as other hobbies such as paiting, knitting etc) will be put aside as most people no longer have all that free time on their hands thus resulting in less income for Hornby as well as other hobby manufacturers and retailers.

I can also see Hornby now only focusing on things that will definitely return them a profit, something a massive aircraft carrier that no doubt costs and arm and a leg to design and for us to buy will simply not do. Also don't forget the increases in fossil fuel, inportant to Hornby and us as plastic is made from oil based ingredients so our "toys" WILL get more expensive.